Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Advice - safety and visibility.

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 781 ✭✭✭Mr. Grieves

OP, you're making the same mistake as those who say 'I didn't see you' when they mean 'I didn't look', and those who promote hi-vis. In two of your four examples, the drivers clearly did see you, as they beeped their horns. You are not invisible, so increasing your 'visibility' won't change anything. What is needed is more attentive driving, and, from you, to better anticipate dangerous situations.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,455 ✭✭✭Macy0161

Your Face wrote: »
    I was hit by a car a few weeks ago. No injuries but an unpleasant experience. It was during the day, I always have my hi-vis on and I had my lights on.
    He was trying to join traffic and just drove into me. He said after he didn't see me.

Yesterday, a HGV came very close whilst over-taking me and later on a bus was driving aggressively behind me and sounding the horn.
    Nearer home, a van cut across the road without slowing down right in front of me.

Anyway, I'm looking for advice on how to increase my personal safety on the roads.
    I always wear the hi-vis, if its anyways dim , I'll turn on my lights. I have reflectors in the front and back and on the spokes.
    Its there anything else I can do?
    Thanks.
    The close passes, I'd think about my position on the road. I think staying alive at 1.5 posted a link on facebook to an interesting article on "being seen" over the weekend which was mainly about road position if you can look it up.

Regarding the not seeing/ not looking, I'm not sure there's much you can do. Had a discussion at the weekend about how people pulling out of side roads is happening so much when we're (me and the company I was in) are driving. It's either not looking, or not looking properly/ such a way to be able to speed. Or just pure ignorance.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,275 ✭✭✭Your Face

Thanks for all the replies.

I think my road position was an issue with the HGV pass.
    The bus incident, I couldn't do anything but will admit that the sound of a bus engine so close behind me was disconcerting so I may have pulled in.
    When I got the tip from the car, I was in a good road position.
    I'm vigilant when cycling but I suppose you can't see everything.

Advertisement