Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leaving Ireland soon, should I leave my job?

Options
  • 22-11-2016 1:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭

Hey everybody,

So as the title suggest I'll be leaving the country next year and moving to Canada, hopefully sometime in April. Unfortunately I am pretty unhappy in my current job and have been for close on a year now, which has led me down a road where I'm filled with doubt and constantly questioning my future.

I've been in my current job for 2 years. It started as an internship in college and I was kept on afterwards. It was a better wage than the part-time job I was working before it (maybe 90c per hour in the difference) and had better hours (Mon-Fri 9-5 etc, weekends off). It also helped that it was in a similar area to my college degree, although it wasn't really what I had in mind when I first decided on my course. My boss was also very flexible with my schedule so it really did suit me, especially toward the end of my college course.

I went traveling over the summer and came back towards the end of August for my graduation. While I was away I had been thinking a lot about my job, and the awkward conversation (I'm pretty quiet/shy) I was going to have to have with my employer, asking to brought up to the starting salary for my position. When I came to him with my price, he took it in, told me he would need to think it over and would come back to me. I had originally been on something like €16,000 a year (assuming I worked 40 hour weeks) and now I was looking for €24,000. I knew this was a 50% pay rise but I thought because I actually had my degree and had built up 2 years of experience that I would be well within my right.

He came back to me with a higher hourly rate but cut my weekly hours, meaning I only ended up with an extra €30-40 a week. This was masked in conversation and to be honest I didn't realise it till I had hung up the phone, after accepting it. He is a good boss overall and has been accommodating towards me throughout my employment which is why I decided to stay. I'd be lieing if I said it was a comfortable/cushy job which probably has to do with why I havnt left as well.

Fast forward 2 months and I still have a bitter taste in my mouth over the whole incident. I have about 3-5 months of employment left before I pack my bags and everyday I go into work and have a bad day I always say to myself "Thats it, I'm finished" and convince myself I'm going to go looking for another job. When I get home though I completely forget about it, plod myself in front of the TV and wait for the day to be over.

It probably doesn't help that I'm not sure what area/career I want to pursue but that is another problem altogether.

If anybody has any advice for me it would greatly appreciated. If you need anymore detail please ask.

TLDR:
    Leaving Ireland soon, Should I quit my current job and try find another one before I go? I'm pretty unhappy at the moment due to wages, what feels like a lack of respect from other employees and I'm unsure about the area I'm in

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 25,970 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Key point is " have about 3-5 months of employment left before I pack my bags"

The chances that you'll get another job for that long, at this time of year, are very slim. Especially if you're worried about whether you're working in the right area. And if you don't tell them that you'll be leaving after a few months, a new employer will be annoyed when you do resign just after they've finished training you, and won't give you a good reference in the future.

So I'd say stick it out - maybe look for a part time job as well, to make some more money.

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

Key point is " have about 3-5 months of employment left before I pack my bags"

The chances that you'll get another job for that long, at this time of year, are very slim. Especially if you're worried about whether you're working in the right area. And if you don't tell them that you'll be leaving after a few months, a new employer will be annoyed when you do resign just after they've finished training you, and won't give you a good reference in the future.

So I'd say stick it out - maybe look for a part time job as well, to make some more money.

Thank you for the advice. To be honest I had a feeling that it was best to just try and stick it out, rather than start and new job, quit prematurely and then piss of my employer. But there are just times in the day when I say "**** this, I'm out". I think I just need to pull up my bootstraps and get on with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,134 ✭✭✭Lux23

April will be here and gone in no time at all. Of course if you think you can get a higher paying temp role in the same area then go for it but I don't think I would leave for any other job. Just think of the benefits like weekends off and decent working hours.

Advertisement