Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

"House Limerick" Prices

• 22-11-2016 1:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭

This isn't about house prices in Limerick but more about the prices in the bar, House Limerick. I was there on Saturday night and my pint of Heineken was rising by the hour. €5.80 for my last one.

This isn't Temple Bar it's Limerick! I don't mind paying a little extra for service or décor etc but this was just a rip off

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 571 ✭✭✭pcuser

Is that the old Sin Bin MrLaurel?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,319 ✭✭✭davo2001

That's what you get for going to a place hosted by Richard Lynch :pac: :pac:

On a side note, he is a permanent part of the furniture their or just part of the "rent a crowd" opening week?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

Simple solution - Just dont go there.

• Registered Users Posts: 410 ✭✭DaraDali

MrLaurel wrote: »
    This isn't about house prices in Limerick but more about the prices in the bar, House Limerick. I was there on Saturday night and my pint of Heineken was rising by the hour. €5.80 for my last one.

This isn't Temple Bar it's Limerick! I don't mind paying a little extra for service or décor etc but this was just a rip off

They put up the price as the night goes on? what is this madness :eek:

DaraDali wrote: »
    They put up the price as the night goes on? what is this madness :eek:

It goes up after 11:30pm I believe. They note it on the drinks menu.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,080 ✭✭✭Jofspring

They won't be long going back on that in Limerick. Personally it wouldn't bother me hugely paying a little extra for a nicer place to go for a drink but i hate the idea of this price rise as the night goes on. It just feels like you are being fleeced.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,717 ✭✭✭YFlyer

Got a pint of Carlsberg and Guinness for €7.20 in the new Teds bar on Saturday evening.

I'm sure it was a mistake :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,992 ✭✭✭leakyboots

Nancys prices go up after a certain time (except in the front bar :) )

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,277 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

I cannot see Limerick paying those sort of drink prices for long. They might get the "new pub/never been in there before" crowd along with the Christmas trade in the short term but once Christmas is out of the way I cannot see many paying near Dublin drink prices down here. I predict 2017 being a struggle for them at those prices.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,029 ✭✭✭um7y1h83ge06nx

I mentioned this in a previous thread.

The standard early price of Guinness is €5.10, a large glass of wine is €16.50!

i agree with you Bazz26, can't see it lasting. My wife mentioned she saw some lads being asked to un-zip their jackets on the way in so bouncers could see if what they were wearing was appropriate. That comes across as very immature and pretentious imo, another thing to annoy people.

I don't think the Limerick market can sustain a Dublin pub charging Dublin prices. I guess the local celebs might like it and those that like to be seen.

• Advertisement

i agree with you Bazz26, can't see it lasting. My wife mentioned she saw some lads being asked to un-zip their jackets on the way in so bouncers could see if what they were wearing was appropriate. That comes across as very immature and pretentious imo, another thing to annoy people.

I don't think the Limerick market can sustain a Dublin pub charging Dublin prices. I guess the local celebs might like it and those that like to be seen.

You were charged extra for that Guinness, I only paid 5

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,115 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

Mc Love wrote: »
    You were charged extra for that Guinness, I only paid 5

That's still around 50c more than you'd pay for it anywhere else.

Be interesting to see whether their dress code or cash is more important when Leicester and 26K rugby fans come to town in a few weeks.

That's still around 50c more than you'd pay for it anywhere else.

More than you'd pay is Squires or the Boardwalk, but then again you are paying for the service and being able to relax without having to go to bar everytime to get the drinks
    Be interesting to see whether their dress code or cash is more important when Leicester and 26K rugby fans come to town in a few weeks.

I was in there for lunch before the Glasgow game and there was a bunch of lads in there with Munster gear on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,029 ✭✭✭um7y1h83ge06nx

I was thinking that myself, not catering to big crowds like that will hurt them.

Mc Love wrote: »
    More than you'd pay is Squires or the Boardwalk, but then again you are paying for the service and being able to relax without having to go to bar everytime to get the drinks

If there's table service then allow people to run a tab and tip the server when paying, like you do in other countries. Charging at least 10-15% more per drink in Limerick is not something that'll get people to come back.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,277 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

I'd imagine the elite plastic personalities will get bored very quickly. They won't want to be seen taking selfies in the same surroundings every weekend for long.

• Registered Users Posts: 540 ✭✭✭Limerick91

Not all wines are €16 per large glass, large glasses of wine start at about €11

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,488 ✭✭✭moby2101

Limerick91 wrote: »
    Not all wines are €16 per large glass, large glasses of wine start at about €11

A regular glass of wine starts @ 6.70... ( wife drinks wine, I wouldn't know otherwise, I have the receipts to prove it!!!!)
    A large glass of wine is 9.00,

It's a really nice space to go and sit down and have a few drinks, you have the table service available to you and a tab or you can just work away yourself @ the bar.

I have to say I really like the place, we've been in there on 4 or 5 occasions at the weekend and during the week.
    The whole "host" thing, I agree it is already annoying people.
    I have a problem with booking tables for drinks, I understand booking tables if your having a meal.

I've been in House Dublin a couple of times and these lads (owners) seem to know what they're doing, the bar in Dublin is wedged all of the time.
    It's a shame that Clohessys closed, Great memories of being in there from 2001 onwards celebrating Munster and their domination of Europe, sadly we had only 2 Heineken Cups to show for it , should have completely dominated and won 4 or even 5😞

It will be interesting to see how House does after all the hype and Christmas trade is over.
    I hope it does well, it's a great addition to the pub scene in Limerick

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,922 ✭✭✭dominatinMC

Whilst I don't like the idea of drink prices being incrementally increased throughout the night, I think that paying a little extra for a drink in House is to be expected, and I'm okay with that. House is like nowhere else in Limerick and, if Limerick wants to be marketed as Ireland's second city, it needs places like this which - like it or love it - appeals and caters to a certain demographic. Drinks are more expensive than other Limerick pubs, but I liken it to an upmarket restaurant - treat yourself every now and then, especially if you want to impress your partner (the outback in Nancys is not what some women have in mind for a date :D). Also the prices are nowhere near Temple Bar (as some poster suggested), about €7 up there! :eek:

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9 BackToWinnipeg

So you get table service for your 5.10 when ordering a Guinness? That's pretty decent actually. Temple bar is generally between 6.50 and 7.50 for a pint of muck and you have to go get it yourself. Although I do enjoy when I come back to Limerick only paying 4.40/4.50 a pint!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,198 ✭✭✭testicles

This post has been deleted.

testicles wrote: »
    This post has been deleted.

Sorry it was the Maori match

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,668 ✭✭✭Mahatma Geansai

You can get the same table service and tab in the Savoy, but the drinks are regularly priced.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,004 ✭✭✭mitresize5

I was in there the night of the Maori match and its not my scene at all, Im more of a Tom Collins or Mickeys man.

However I was very impressed with it for what it was, its obviously very well kitted out, plenty of staff all well presented, table service if wanted and just a general air of higher standards and expectations than most other bars.

Paying a supplement on the price of the booze is to be expected for something like this and is common else where. The price of a pint going up after once you move into 'late bar' time is common practice in most bars like this across the country.

Speaking of which is it really that more expensive, try having a wife who like Hendriks and tonic and see the price of that in Tom Collins.

To me it comes down to if it doesn't suit then go elsewhere, there are plenty of other hostelries that will take your hard earned cash.

Its a welcome addition to Limerick and I wish it well

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,922 ✭✭✭dominatinMC

mitresize5 wrote: »
    However I was very impressed with it for what it was, its obviously very well kitted out, plenty of staff all well presented, table service if wanted and just a general air of higher standards and expectations than most other bars.

Paying a supplement on the price of the booze is to be expected for something like this and is common else where. The price of a pint going up after once you move into 'late bar' time is common practice in most bars like this across the country.

To me it comes down to if it doesn't suit then go elsewhere, there are plenty of other hostelries that will take your hard earned cash.

Its a welcome addition to Limerick and I wish it well

Amen to that! I bet the people complaining about the drink prices would be the same ones complaining had House opened in Cork/Galway instead of Limerick!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,238 ✭✭✭mgbgt1978

House is like nowhere else in Limerick and, if Limerick wants to be marketed as Ireland's second city, it needs places like this which - like it or love it - appeals and caters to a certain demographic.

SECOND CITY !!!!
    I'd say you'll upset the Corkonians with that comment :D.

• Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭MrLaurel

Amen to that! I bet the people complaining about the drink prices would be the same ones complaining had House opened in Cork/Galway instead of Limerick!

Actually I wouldn't. I'm delighted they've opened in Limerick. Its not my cup of tea but each to their own.

I started this thread stating I don't mind paying extra for décor / service
    Rising at 12.30am is fine as it's stated on their drinks list but when it's rising by the hour, you're ripping people off.

Or probably the same ones complaining about LaCucina Centro :pac::pac:

• Advertisement

Nope. I'd never heard of House before they opened in Limerick, so I definitely wouldn't have complained had they opened elsewhere instead. I'll simply be sticking to less pretentious establishments.

Advertisement