Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Royal Rumble 2017 *Spoilers*

Options
  • 22-11-2016 3:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 86,714 ✭✭✭✭

Goldberg is the rumble but could Lesnar likely cost him to further their feud and set up a final match at WM?

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,746 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bounty Hunter

JP Liz V1 wrote: »
    Goldberg is the rumble but could Lesnar likely cost him to further their feud and set up a final match at WM?

Yes. Next question

Who will win the Rumble?

If Healthy Finn Balor!

• Registered Users Posts: 86,714 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Yes. Next question

Who will win the Rumble?

If Healthy Finn Balor!

http://www.inquisitr.com/3731532/wwe-news-injured-star-finn-balor-attacks-wrestler-at-scotland-show/

Finn did return to the ring recently so could be likely for the rumble

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,746 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bounty Hunter

I read that AJ Styles vs Taker was being considered for the Rumble as was US champ vs Universal champ (Reigns vs Owens) on the Raw side. The latter would be more likely but both on top of the rumble itself guarantees a huge PPV especially if they could also promote Balors return and the fact that there would be some surprise entrants, maybe someone like Samoa Joe for instance.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,182 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

I don't see what another match between Lesnar and Goldberg achieves? Goldberg is 2-0 up, what does a win give Lesnar?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,154 ✭✭✭✭Neil3030

They really should have rolled out Heyman tonight to present the excuse for Brock losing - he didn't take Goldberg serious enough, and fell to a lucky shot. Next time out, Brock will be focused and Goldberg won't be so lucky. They may yet still do this, but in my opinion it needed to happen immediately, before the "why bother" narrative could take hold.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,463 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

J. Marston wrote: »
    I don't see what another match between Lesnar and Goldberg achieves? Goldberg is 2-0 up, what does a win give Lesnar?

A Wrestlemania moment?

Plus, in feuds and story telling, winning battles means nothing. Its who wins the war. If Brock wins the final match, and its carried off as THE final match, the culmination, then from a storytelling POV, thats fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,753 ✭✭✭✭beakerjoe

Lord TSC wrote: »
    A Wrestlemania moment?

Plus, in feuds and story telling, winning battles means nothing. Its who wins the war. If Brock wins the final match, and its carried off as THE final match, the culmination, then from a storytelling POV, thats fine.

Lets be honest here people, I was one of the those who stood up to claim the Survivor Series match with Goldberg v Brock wasnt interesting to me in the slightest and that i had no intention of seeing those two go at it.

Yet after a few simple in-ring promos and well produced video segemnts, I was lured in. When WWE want to, they can sell you any feud and make it must watch and if they did build to a Brock v Goldberg 3, if they did it right we will all be watching with anticipation if handled right.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,455 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

had Finn Balor as my pick for the rumble until after Raw last night but with Goldberg being in the match and rumours of Brock Lesner being in it too and possibly other guys such as Dean Ambrose (if he loses at TLC), Braun Strowman, Seth Rollins etc im finding it hard to pick a winner but its early days yet

Is Finn Balor not promised a title shot when he returns anyway ??? but the pop all over Ireland would be unreal if he came back too win it (Sheamus in 2012 was good but Finn Balor seems to be loved more by many Irish wrestling fans)

I would love to see Y2J win the RR, thought he was heading for a feud with Owens eventually so WM title match could be great, this idea needs to be on his list :p

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,829 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

I would love to see Y2J win the RR, thought he was heading for a feud with Owens eventually so WM title match could be great, this idea needs to be on his list :p

Still the best thing on Raw. I really hope he's not heading off with Fozzy soon.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 48,990 ✭✭✭✭Lithium93_

Loughc wrote: »
    Still the best thing on Raw. I really hope he's not heading off with Fozzy soon.

Fozzy are aiming to release a new album next year, so Jericho will probably be ending this run early in the new year and turning his attention to Fozzy's 7th album..

• Registered Users Posts: 8,689 ✭✭✭sky88

I think jericho isn't advertised for anylon shows past January sadly. Hopefully things change

Jericho should just give up on the rockstar thing and remain full time in the wwe till his in ring retirement in roughly 8-10 years but being a Wrestling Rockstar is his life choice

Hes really living the dream A Rockstar, one of the best wrestlers of all time and is also an author, has a hot wife and is not short on $$$$$ but from watching his 2010 WWE doc he earned it all

• Registered Users Posts: 3,851 ✭✭✭Pentecost

He's also Kevin's best friend don't forget.

The card so far

AJ Styles (C) vs John Cena for WWE Championship

Kevin Owens (C) vs Roman Reigns for WWE Universal Championship match (Y2J in a cage to prevent interference)

Charlotte (C) vs Bayley for Raw Women’s Championship

Brock Lesnar, Chris Jericho and Braun Strowman join Goldberg in the rumble

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 14,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Furious-Red

The card so far

AJ Styles (C) vs John Cena for WWE Championship

Kevin Owens (C) vs Roman Reigns for WWE Universal Championship match (Y2J in a cage to prevent interference)

Charlotte (C) vs Bayley for Raw Women’s Championship

Brock Lesnar, Chris Jericho and Braun Strowman join Goldberg in the rumble

And Corbin

And New Day.

I love the Rumble. Just adore it. It's always my favorite show of the year.

Lord TSC wrote: »
    And New Day.

I love the Rumble. Just adore it. It's always my favorite show of the year.

I think most WWE fans, if not all WWE fans think they same. The Rumble match always has an air of unpredictability right until the end and the importance to make it must see no matter what.

i think fans who havent watched wwe for the previous year always comes back for the rumble.

They obiovously had a few rocky years in 2014 and 2015 but last year was a return to form i thought. even in 14 and 15 it was more the endings that were terrible.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,182 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

Is there any clear favourite for the Rumble?

• Advertisement

J. Marston wrote: »
    Is there any clear favourite for the Rumble?

Paddy Power seems to think its Goldberg, but its WWE and their plans change a million times before the event, so who knows.

Id say Goldberg, Taker, Brock, are the front runners. Get the young guys over WWE :)

I surprise Finn Balor could do it, as could Jericho and WWE are trying to get me to believe Baron Corbin has a chance. Its the first Rumble since the brand split and back then the likes of Sheamus and Del Rio captured the win when nether really convinced me they were top stars so who knows

this years rumble is anyones and theres so many possiblites

Undertaker could win it and go on and face Cena/Styles or Regins at Mania for the title

Goldberg could win it and go on to face Kevin Owens/Reigns at mania for the Universal title

Brock could win it to regain his reputation (Brock vs KO at mania)

Y2J could win it and it will start a Y2J vs KO mania programme

any of Finn Balor/Baron Corbin/Samoa Joe/Braun Strowman could win too

very slim chances of guys like Big E/Ziggler winning it but you never knw

I think Undertaker is going to retire at Mania so hes my pick to win the rumble and go on to win the world title or Universal title at Mania and retire the next night on Raw (and all of us will be in tears lol)

Undertaker is the one i think will win.

if not him i think it will be braun.

Then the small possibilities of finn and jericho. i think those will be my top 4 picks. im assuming brock and goldberg eliminate each other.

i think a lot will depend on how the title matches go. Cena wins it has to be taker win. if reigns wins id go with a braun win. if aj and owens retain i think its even harder to predict.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,851 ✭✭✭Pentecost

If Ellsworth wins we riot

I cant see Goldberg at teh expense of Brock. Brock has to get some retribution and if he doesnt it wont do him any favors.

I can see Goldberg winning if Brock wasnt in the match, but on the other hand I can see Brock winning, Goldberg eventually going over Owens in the build to WM and facing Brock at WM itself.

Id like to see neither guy win it and in an ideal world Id like to Cesaro or Finn win. He could double eliminate both ala Shawn with Yoko n Vader at RR96 and the two monsters battle on the outside.

It also says alot about how hes been booked to say i could see The Miz steal one. I wouldnt mind Styles beating Cena and Miz winning to set up an AJ turn as champ to face the ever improving Miz.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,390 ✭✭✭✭martyos121

I'd love to see The Miz win it actually, using every trick in the book to get the job done. I know Vince is well past the point of rewarding those who had great years with the biggest Mania matches, instead opting for who he perceives to be the biggest names (which few of us actually care about anymore).

Miz winning might be a head-scratcher for some but it would signal a huge step in the right direction, and since big WrestleMania matches are usually more about storytelling than wrestling, he wouldn't be out of place at all.

Braun Strowman is my actual pick to win it though, they're awfully high on him, and to be fair he's pretty great for a big guy, a lot more interesting (and protected) than Big Show, Kane or Mark Henry were for years. Obviously I'd rather someone else but i think Braun is looking very likely at this point.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,133 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

Ellsworth to pull a Maven type upset and eliminate Brock, Goldberg or Undertaker.

I can't see Brock and Goldberg both being in it and not interacting with each other. So if by some chance one gets eliminated before the other enters, the other will come out and attack him anyway causing the elimination. Otherwise if one eliminates the other, they will come back and cause the elimination. Neither seems like a guy that would let something like rules stop them fighting

Ellsworths ships has sailed. I wont mind him trying to pull a Maven and it being no sold by Taker.

My problem with Braun, who i am happy with since he redebuted, is that his look is fine for the mid card but once he reaches the upper-mid card (around now), his look and attire does nothing to get him over as a superstar.

His look now is an improvement on his older look with the Wyatts, but his singlet/dullpants combo could be improved upon.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,133 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

Was only joking about Ellsworth. Can see it more like he comes out, goes after the biggest guy, followed by trying to lift him, only to get eliminated before the next guy comes out.

Was thinking Nia Jax could enter, then was wondering when did Kharma appear at it? That was a couple years ago at the 40 man rumble?

Edit: Okay 2012 it was

• Advertisement

I feel like you should have Brock and Goldberg going at it (possible as #1 and #2), Ellsworth comes out and the two giants stop, and just destroy him.

I really, REALLY like that there's not a clear winner this year. I don't believe Brock or Goldberg win (I think they go against each other). Taker wouldn't surprise me, as he could go against either Reigns, Cena or Styles (depending on those title matches). Jericho could be a possible pay off to his story with KO. I don't think Braun wins; my gut tells me him and Reigns eliminate each other and go into a feud for the US title.

Outsiders but with a slim chance...a win would fit Miz's "I'll show you how good I am" character direction. Ziggler as a heel could. Big E winning could let them move New Day into the world title picture, which actually could be interesting. Finn return. I don't see a debut, like Joe, winning but my God would it be a great introduction. Bray or Orton, possibly, but see it more likely they get caught in some shenanigans together.

I presume we could get a set up for Big Show vs Shaq as well; if they repeat Shaw's entry and repeat him eliminating Show, it could be the driving point for any match between the two.

I'd kill for someone to use Cult of Personality to come out :P

Plus we can have the annual Kurt Angle rumours.

And Tye Dillinger in at #10.

Advertisement