Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Royal Rumble 2017 *Spoilers*

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,746 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bounty Hunter

Right now I'm thinking Taker or Finn but at least it isn't as clear cut as in previous years. Dark horses for me would be Jericho or Wyatt but honestly I'm not expecting that nor the Goldberg / Lesnar possibility as I'm assuming they will face off sans title at mania.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,753 ✭✭✭✭beakerjoe

Lord TSC wrote: »
    I feel like you should have Brock and Goldberg going at it (possible as #1 and #2), Ellsworth comes out and the two giants stop, and just destroy him.

I really, REALLY like that there's not a clear winner this year. I don't believe Brock or Goldberg win (I think they go against each other). Taker wouldn't surprise me, as he could go against either Reigns, Cena or Styles (depending on those title matches). Jericho could be a possible pay off to his story with KO. I don't think Braun wins; my gut tells me him and Reigns eliminate each other and go into a feud for the US title.

Outsiders but with a slim chance...a win would fit Miz's "I'll show you how good I am" character direction. Ziggler as a heel could. Big E winning could let them move New Day into the world title picture, which actually could be interesting. Finn return. I don't see a debut, like Joe, winning but my God would it be a great introduction. Bray or Orton, possibly, but see it more likely they get caught in some shenanigans together.

I presume we could get a set up for Big Show vs Shaq as well; if they repeat Shaw's entry and repeat him eliminating Show, it could be the driving point for any match between the two.

I'd kill for someone to use Cult of Personality to come out :P

Plus we can have the annual Kurt Angle rumours.

And Tye Dillinger in at #10.

Really can't fault any of the logic. Id love one genuine surprise ala AJ last year.

Wouldnt be shocked either if Roode grabs the NXT title the night before and Nakamura moves up the next night.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,689 ✭✭✭sky88

I think goldberg enters around 19th clears house shows him as a monster eliminates a few and when hes standing tall the countdown ends with brocks music and they take each other out

I know Ive said it already but the more I think about it, I want The Miz to win to set up an AJ feud.

AJ will carry him to a good match at the very least and The Miz has improved enough to in-ring wise to hold his own to a degree. Character wise he's looked strong and booked to his strengths. AJ could easily turn after beating Cena after a long match (showing mutual respect after the match is over) and would be the perfect face to take on The ever rising Miz.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,390 ✭✭✭✭martyos121

beakerjoe wrote: »
    I know Ive said it already but the more I think about it, I want The Miz to win to set up an AJ feud.

AJ will carry him to a good match at the very least and The Miz has improved enough to in-ring wise to hold his own to a degree. Character wise he's looked strong and booked to his strengths. AJ could easily turn after beating Cena after a long match (showing mutual respect after the match is over) and would be the perfect face to take on The ever rising Miz.

Love the sound of that. A triple threat between those two and Cena could also work nicely without having to turn AJ, who has been a tremendous heel. The Miz honestly does deserve a world title match this year, and I'm sure he'll get it, only question is whether they do it at Mania or not. AJ vs Miz would be a guaranteed good match, possibly great, I think the triple threat has the potential to be a classic though. Of course it relies on Cena not wrestling Taker, which is unlikely anyway given that Taker seems to be appearing on Raw this year.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29,133 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

Are there Carlito rumours again? Is Shelton due back?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,740 ✭✭✭SureYWouldntYa

I'd love to see the New Day given only 2 spots between the 3 of them

Xavier has been called the weak link in the past, I think it'd be something interesting to do and could set the seeds for their break up

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,417 ✭✭✭WinnyThePoo

Ain't No Stopping me noo!!

Would love to hear that again. I would love to see Karl Anderson and Finn Balor starting.

It's wide open as Lord TSC points out. Could be the best match in years.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 14,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Furious-Red

Would love to see a big NXT debut followed by Raw and SD trying to sign them

• Registered Users Posts: 8,689 ✭✭✭sky88

i wouldnt be suprised if some of the losers of the title matches then go into the rumble.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,891 ✭✭✭johnnyryan89

Would love to see a big NXT debut followed by Raw and SD trying to sign them

If any NXT guys debut I think it needs to be on a joint PPV or any show that Corey Graves is calling. I don't think any of the other announcers could hype them up as much as Graves especially for Bobby Roodes debut.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,469 ✭✭✭LeeJM

Personally I think the only NXT name that should appear in the Rumble is Samoa Joe. Firstly it stands out more when there is only 1 debut in the Rumble. Secondly, Joes story in NXT has run its course so he is the logical choice to make an appearance. And the way I would do it is have The Miz draw #1 on Smackdown and make a big stink about it for a few weeks and be all p*ssed at Daniel Bryan then at the Rumble have The Miz complaining again to DB and Bryan can just say "if you are unhappy now wait until you see who has drawn #2" and just leave it at that. Rumble comes around and boom Joe is #2 and we get 2 mins of Joe vs Miz then keep them mostly apart but let them both last at least 30 mins before having 1 of them eliminate the other guy and then we are on the road to Joe vs The Miz at WrestleMania.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,553 ✭✭✭Blue_Dabadee

I think this year we will finally get a good Royal Rumble match since the last four were far too predictable.

Go back to 2010 where no one expected Edge to return and win Royal Rumble match. I remeber only one person picked Edge while the rest mainly picked Shawn Michaels in a prediction league for that Royal Rumble.

• Registered Users Posts: 48,990 ✭✭✭✭Lithium93_

I think this year we will finally get a good Royal Rumble match since the last four were far too predictable.

Go back to 2010 where no one expected Edge to return and win Royal Rumble match. I remeber only one person picked Edge while the rest mainly picked Shawn Michaels in a prediction league for that Royal Rumble.

That truly was a HOLY **** moment, I've heard Metalingus many times before, but the goosebumps when the "You Think You Know Me" hit. I did get over excited :D

Lithium93_ wrote: »
    That truly was a HOLY **** moment, I've heard Metalingus many times before, but the goosebumps when the "You Think You Know Me" hit. I did get over excited :D

My only gripe about that moment was Edge seemed out of shape a bit. He didnt look as ripped or trim as he was before he got injured. He looked very gassed after a minute or 2.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,133 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

Did Rusev stay up after he debuted at the Rumble or did he go back to NXT?

I expect someone to be attacked and have his spot taken. Curtis Axel again

CastorTroy wrote: »
    Did Rusev stay up after he debuted at the Rumble or did he go back to NXT?

I expect someone to be attacked and have his spot taken. Curtis Axel again

He went back to NXT but IIRC wasnt on TV. He re joined the MR after Mania and brought Lana with him who was absent at the Rumble

My only gripe about that moment was Edge seemed out of shape a bit. He didnt look as ripped or trim as he was before he got injured. He looked very gassed after a minute or 2.

Well coming back from a torn achilles tendon, I'd understand him being a bit out of shape..

Lithium93_ wrote: »
    Well coming back from a torn achilles tendon, I'd understand him being a bit out of shape..

Oh I know, its a minor gripe but he just didnt look at impressive and it took away from it slightly.

Oh I know, its a minor gripe but he just didnt look at impressive and it took away from it slightly.

Not arguing, but he was probably glad just to be able to get back in a wrestling ring again.

• Advertisement

There's every chance we could get Vince's wet dream at the Rumble

Title wins for Cena and Reigns, and a Rumble win for Strowman

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,320 Mod ✭✭✭✭DM_7

That could see the type of boycott people were looking for back in Bryans return.

I think they will be smart enough to give enough to the people the above would piss off to keep them hooked. Joe, Nakamura call ups, a Finn return, something like that.

Somewhere in the offices of WWE headquarters in Stamford, Connecticut.

Screen-Shot-2015-05-29-at-14.30.08-533x330.png

Why would a title win for Cena and a Strowman Rumble win cause a backlash?

Cena is one of the best characters and best wrestlers in the world. He cut one of the best promos this decade last week. He has a purpose to reclaim the WWE Title and tie the record for most title wins ever.

And Strowman is one of the best booked destroyers since Goldberg in WCW circa 1998. Yes in ring he isnt gonna deliver a ****** match like some of Meltzers favourites but so what. Havnt people being complaining for years about no new stars and yet when a young new guy is pushed and booked superbly to the point that he is a viable Royal Rumble winner within 18 months of his main roster debut, all of a sudden you wanna boycott the Network? Or its Vince pushing a muscle guy.....Jesus WWE cant win with some people

DM_7 wrote: »
    That could see the type of boycott people were looking for back in Bryans return.

I think they will be smart enough to give enough to the people the above would piss off to keep them hooked. Joe, Nakamura call ups, a Finn return, something like that.

A Strowman win could happen, he's not the favourite whereas right now you'd think Cena and Reigns are both the favourites in their matches

So if the event ends with the Rumble, which odds are it will, we'll more than likely get a happy ending so it mightn't be as down and dreary as after Batista and Reigns' wins from few years back

Finn is surely coming back for the Rumble though, and Joe has to be coming up in time to be established by Mania

LeeJM wrote: »
    Why would a title win for Cena and a Strowman Rumble win cause a backlash?

Cena is one of the best characters and best wrestlers in the world. He cut one of the best promos this decade last week. He has a purpose to reclaim the WWE Title and tie the record for most title wins ever.

And Strowman is one of the best booked destroyers since Goldberg in WCW circa 1998. Yes in ring he isnt gonna deliver a ****** match like some of Meltzers favourites but so what. Havnt people being complaining for years about no new stars and yet when a young new guy is pushed and booked superbly to the point that he is a viable Royal Rumble winner within 18 months of his main roster debut, all of a sudden you wanna boycott the Network? Or its Vince pushing a muscle guy.....Jesus WWE cant win with some people

I never said it was bad, just that it was Vince's wet dream

But I wouldn't be as averse to a Cena win as I would a Reigns win since odds are a Cena win leads to him v Taker, who wouldn't want to see that

Bit of hyperbole to compare Strowman to Goldberg just yet, it's closer to Great Khali of 06/07 than Goldberg. It's not some mighty push at Goldberg's level he's beaten a heap of jobbers, beat up Sami Zayn but couldn't beat him in 10 minutes, and has the countout matches with Reigns and Rollins

I never said it was bad, just that it was Vince's wet dream

But I wouldn't be as averse to a Cena win as I would a Reigns win since odds are a Cena win leads to him v Taker, who wouldn't want to see that

Bit of hyperbole to compare Strowman to Goldberg just yet, it's closer to Great Khali of 06/07 than Goldberg. It's not some mighty push at Goldberg's level he's beaten a heap of jobbers, beat up Sami Zayn but couldn't beat him in 10 minutes, and has the countout matches with Reigns and Rollins

So the term Vinces wet dream was meant as good thing? To be honest a Cena title win and a Reigns title win mean little until the Rumble match happens and we get an idea for the direction they may be going. I really believe they have changed plans recently and that things may be getting a bit of shake up. The only match set in stone IMO is Rollins vs HHH.

Re Strowmans push it has been the most consistent since the initial Goldberg push. By this stage Khali was jobbing to Taker, Ryback once beaten quickly became a loser. Strowman on the other hand while having a really good feud with Zayn has maintained his killer aura. He comes across as dangerous and credible and is the best thing on Raw right now.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,182 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

LeeJM wrote: »
    So the term Vinces wet dream was meant as good thing? To be honest a Cena title win and a Reigns title win mean little until the Rumble match happens and we get an idea for the direction they may be going. I really believe they have changed plans recently and that things may be getting a bit of shake up. The only match set in stone IMO is Rollins vs HHH.

Re Strowmans push it has been the most consistent since the initial Goldberg push. By this stage Khali was jobbing to Taker, Ryback once beaten quickly became a loser. Strowman on the other hand while having a really good feud with Zayn has maintained his killer aura. He comes across as dangerous and credible and is the best thing on Raw right now.

That's kind of like Celtic being the best thing in the SPL though, isn't it?

Still kind of crap.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,417 ✭✭✭WinnyThePoo

I saw a comment on youtube that was great.

'The Miz needs to come out #30 in the Royal Rumble to Daniel Bryan's theme. Would be perfect heel heat.'

• Advertisement

I saw a comment on youtube that was great.

'The Miz needs to come out #30 in the Royal Rumble to Daniel Bryan's theme. Would be perfect heel heat.'

Jesus the heart just wouldn't be able for that

Advertisement