Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Royal Rumble 2017 *Spoilers*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 27,335 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Can't wait for more epic Orton and Cena stare-downs. Is it 2001 again?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,849 ✭✭✭764dak

Isn't Balor already guaranteed a title opportunity? Or am I mistaken?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,402 ✭✭✭Tinie

Looking like this will be the card going by the usual forums

Orton vs Cena
    Styles vs Shane Mac
    Roman vs Taker
    Bill vs Brock
    Trips vs Seth

MEhhhhhh

• Registered Users Posts: 5,533 ✭✭✭Jester252

Angron wrote: »
    I think I'll be having nightmares about the prospect of another Orton vs Cena feud.

At least this time it will have a little snank on it.

You know Randy been out of his mind and Cena coming back from defeat and never giving up........

• Registered Users Posts: 4,216 ✭✭✭Looper007

Digitalism wrote: »
    Nah.

The announcers made a specific statement that the winner would main event Wrestlemania. Hence why we'll most likely get Cena/Orton, that's what draws the casuals. Bray is not main event at mania material.

What a muck rumble, zero legit excitement or surprises. No angle, samoa joe, fergal devitt etc. That's me out for another year pretty much at least.

they can't be that stupid to pull that off in a stadium full of die hard wrestling fans. I see Cena dropping the title on the next PPV, whoever costs him the match he face at WM. I say he be dropping the title to Wyatt. I know many are saying no. Do you think Cena will drop it to Styles again, so we get AJ/Orton match.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,182 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

Everyone is assuming it's Cena vs Orton, one-on-one. Could easily be a triple threat or fatal four way with AJ and Wyatt being factors in the feud.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,195 ✭✭✭✭B.A._Baracus

How can randy winning be entertaining to a lot of fans?
    He has been around for a over a decade and done it all. Sure he won the rumble 8 years ago. Numerous time world champion. Hey, he has even wrestled John Cena so much on pay per views over the years let alone on raw or house shows.

How is a seemingly wrestlemania main event of Cena and Orton meant to be must see TV?

Tinie wrote: »
    Looking like this will be the card going by the usual forums

Orton vs Cena
    Styles vs Shane Mac
    Roman vs Taker
    Bill vs Brock
    Trips vs Seth

MEhhhhhh

Ah here that can't be true. Best thing WWE have and they throw Styles in that match. Give him Taker and let Taker go out having a classic.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Martin_TWD

I haven't watched a full PPV in 2 years, but decided to tune in tonight. felt like I went back in time. Cena winning the WWE Championship and Orton winning the Rumble to main event Mania. so it will most likely be Orton vs Cena at Wrestlemania, in 2017..

• Registered Users Posts: 5,533 ✭✭✭Jester252

J. Marston wrote: »
    Everyone is assuming it's Cena vs Orton, one-on-one. Could easily be a triple threat or fatal four way with AJ and Wyatt being factors in the feud.

Vinny Mac isn't a fan of non one-on-one matches headlining Wrestlemania

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,783 Mod ✭✭✭✭riffmongous

Jester252 wrote: »
    It wasn't crap, it had a sense that anybody could win it that the rumble has been missing for a while.

I say a good few fans would have laugh at you if you told them Randy is going to be in the main event this morning.

It was crap for me, most of the realistic winners didn't show up until the end and then it was over very quickly. Up until the final third, there was barely anything worth talking about

• Registered Users Posts: 338 ✭✭Me_Grapes

So.....strouman attacks reigns in the title match. So we have strouman v reigns at WM. Okay.

Then reigns eliminates taker, taker gives him the death stare. So we have reigns v taker at WM.

Or maybe he will just beat them both at the same time with one arm tied behind his back because STRONG.

• Registered Users Posts: 344 ✭✭ikeano29

If I backed someone to win the rumble and they never took part isn't this a non runner because it says I lost on paddy power site!?

• Registered Users Posts: 838 ✭✭✭A Rogue Hobo

A lot of people here are saying Roman Vs Taker for Mania, but what about Braun? He did cost Reigns the match there's surely some.type of seed for Mania in that.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,551 ✭✭✭The White Feather

Once Strowman went out the Rumble seemed to lose momentum.While he was in I was enjoying it a lot. There was no massive clear out that is always cool by Goldberg,Lesnar or Taker.Disgusted with Lesnar thrown out so easily but then I was never a fan of Goldberg so I prefer Lesnar!

There were no surprises as others have said.

I wanted someone new to win like Strowman, Cass Ziggler or Corbin etc. Just a fresh approach.

Do we now have Cena v Orton again?

It really is a Wrestlemania Reunion tour time now. Have to push other people other than Reigns

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,402 ✭✭✭Tinie

Looper007 wrote: »
    Ah here that can't be true. Best thing WWE have and they throw Styles in that match. Give him Taker and let Taker go out having a classic.

Never doubt the Meltzer. Were gonna have shane vs aj and your gonna love it. That's what vince is thinking.

Tinie wrote: »
    Never doubt the Meltzer. Were gonna have shane vs aj and your gonna love it. That's what vince is thinking.

wouldn't surprise me sadly. sounds like maybe Shane asked his dad to put him in a match with Styles, wouldn't blame him if he did. I'm sure it get a decent build but I was hoping for a bigger match for Styles.

Tye Dillinger the only surprise!

I know the internet marks were craving for him to be #10 but **** me what a **** surprise!!

Even in the 2 hour pre show they were going on so much about the surprise entrants over the years!

Angle, Joe, Balor hell even Sting who crept up in the rumours over the last 24 hours would have sufficed.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,849 ✭✭✭764dak

How can randy winning be entertaining to a lot of fans?
    He has been around for a over a decade and done it all. Sure he won the rumble 8 years ago. Numerous time world champion. Hey, he has even wrestled John Cena so much on pay per views over the years let alone on raw or house shows.

How is a seemingly wrestlemania main event of Cena and Orton meant to be must see TV?

Didn't you see all the reactions of Randy Orton fangirls on YouTube when Brock destroyed him?

A lot of guys were upset too.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,458 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

There all laughing to the bank no matter what mania card will happen

Joe and Finn after mania, angle not going to wrestle after the hof ???

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 45,594 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

I'm surprised they're going with Orton for Mania. I think there are far more compelling stories to tell. Personally I'd have gone with Taker winning.

I will say - for the story THEY want to tell - it was booked exactly as it should have been. Think about it. What reaction was Orton eliminating Goldberg, or Taker, or even Brock going to get? Answer: a very tepid one.

So Vince goes to his writers and says, 'Damn it, I want my boy Randy to go over and I want you lot to figure out a way to get him the biggest pop imaginable." How do you do that?

Answer: by trolling the fans into thinking Reigns is going to win - the nightmare scenario of the hardcore fan. And that's exactly what they did, and the reaction was exactly what they wanted.

"Anybody but Roman!" the fans screamed. And that's what they gave them. Notice the shots of fans looking to the heavens in joy, hopping up and down etc. The fact this was relief that Reigns didn't win is irrelevant to WWE. They now have their camera shots for their montage video to play over and over for the next two months. Vince wins. WWE wins.

Like I said, it's not the story I would tell. But for the story THEY want to tell...you couldn't really have booked it better than this.From their point of view, they'll be delighted.

Some will complain, we'll have the usual 'I'm not watching Mania' stuff we get a lot of years, but they know most will be tuning in for Mania. And they're right.

Gotta give them credit for their Machiavellian brilliance.

Overall, I thought it was a decent Rumble. Definitely not a classic. Goldberg eliminating Brock was well done. I would have liked some good surprise returns to enhance things.

On to Mania. (P.S. I highly doubt Orton vs Cena is the plan. It will be either Orton vs Bray or Orton vs Styles imo)

Seriously though Tye Dillinger!?

Couldn't give a flying ****!

• Registered Users Posts: 17,154 ✭✭✭✭Neil3030

A meh Rumble. Not ****e, but not good. I was sorely hoping for Joe or Finn at 30, while always knowing Reigns was the strongest possibility. I'm a tiny bit peeved because I pretty much avoided social media for a few weeks to avoid spoilers re: Omega, Balor, Joe, etc.

Trying to make sense of it - you could say Reigns got the final slot as recompense for Strowman interfering in his match. That may get cleared up tomorrow on Raw. But why couldn't they give the heat of eliminating Taker to someone they actually consider heel, like Ziggler, Strowman or Corbin? Or is this an indication that Reigns is finally being turned?

I'm surprised they're going with Orton for Mania. I think there are far more compelling stories to tell. Personally I'd have gone with Taker winning.

I will say - for the story THEY want to tell - it was booked exactly as it should have been. Think about it. What reaction was Orton eliminating Goldberg, or Taker, or even Brock going to get? Answer: a very tepid one.

So Vince goes to his writers and says, 'Damn it, I want my boy Randy to go over and I want you lot to figure out a way to get him the biggest pop imaginable." How do you do that?

Answer: by trolling the fans into thinking Reigns is going to win - the nightmare scenario of the hardcore fan. And that's exactly what they did, and the reaction was exactly what they wanted.

"Anybody but Roman!" the fans screamed. And that's what they gave them. Notice the shots of fans looking to the heavens in joy, hopping up and down etc. The fact this was relief that Reigns didn't win is irrelevant to WWE. They now have their camera shots for their montage video to play over and over for the next two months. Vince wins. WWE wins.

Like I said, it's not the story I would tell. But for the story THEY want to tell...you couldn't really have booked it better than this.From their point of view, they'll be delighted.

Some will complain, we'll have the usual 'I'm not watching Mania' stuff we get a lot of years, but they know most will be tuning in for Mania. And they're right.

Gotta give them credit for their Machiavellian brilliance.

Overall, I thought it was a decent Rumble. Definitely not a classic. Goldberg eliminating Brock was well done. I would have liked some good surprise returns to enhance things.

On to Mania. (P.S. I highly doubt Orton vs Cena is the plan. It will be either Orton vs Bray or Orton vs Styles imo)

Makes no sense. Orton is a heel. He is not supposed to be cheered.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,594 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

Me_Grapes wrote: »
    Makes no sense. Orton is a heel. He is not supposed to be cheered.

He's been cheered every week on Smackdown. The fans have been begging him to take out Bray. The end result of the story is obviously that he turns on the Wyatts and beats them at last.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,390 ✭✭✭✭martyos121

He's been cheered every week on Smackdown. The fans have been begging him to take out Bray. The end result of the story is obviously that he turns on the Wyatts and beats them at last.

Luke Harper is now the key figure in that feud though. All signs point towards a triple threat.

Perhaps. But from what I've seen of the teased fued thus far, Orton and Bray are acting like the heels, and Harper is acting like the face. That's definitely the way the dynamic was presented in the rumble match, notwithstanding Harper's lack of overness.

Meh, who knows, who really cares to be perfectly frank.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,767 ✭✭✭Ben Gadot

Thought the actual Rumble was a disappointment. No real shocks and an underwhelming winner.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,829 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

I just need to stop watching WWE PPVs live they're not worth the lack of sleep they dish out.

The betting odds really spoilt this event. And I wouldn't mind it was non WWE fans sharing the paddy power odds and all.

How the hell did the Orton win leak so badly before the rumble as of Tuesday there was no indication it would have been him.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,767 ✭✭✭Ben Gadot

I doubt there's any inside info feeding the bookies. I'd say when the first serious bet comes in that looks dubious, the bookies will react instantly. Someone is lining their wallet with dollars backstage anyway!

Advertisement