Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Royal Rumble 2017 *Spoilers*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,187 ✭✭✭✭IvySlayer

So glad new talent such as Cena Taker Lesnar Goldberg Orton Reigns were showcased.

I think Bray Wyatt wins elimination chamber and Orton vs Wyatt will main WM.

Taker will pick on Reigns maybe Cena shows up to help Reigns. Could Taker cost Cena at EC

• Registered Users Posts: 8,689 ✭✭✭sky88

the rumble itself was good in some parts but booked terribly in parts.

to have roman at 30 was an idiotic decsion and it killed the crowd until randy rko him. but to have roman not interact with braun after his attack just didnt make sense. to have corbin eliminate braun with there being no real story was just pointless.

the goldberg and taker eliminations were anticlimactic. thought the brock was done well and its furthering the story that goldberg just has his number.

There were a lot of pointless people who did nothing apollo crews, kalisto, ziggler,miz and hell even jericho ddnt really do anything

if they do roman vs taker at mania it really could be the last straw with a lot of people and they might finally stop watching or riot at mania.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,320 Mod ✭✭✭✭DM_7

WWE have clearly accepted the dislike towards Reigns by certain fans and are using him as a heel without making him a 'bad guy'.

Taker v Reigns would be perfect as they know people will be desperate to see Taker win that one.

As a heat getter they book him perfectly and keep him away from cool heel zone that so many inevitably fall into. They have enough of that with AJ, Owens, Jericho, Rusev etc.

Who else could make Orton winning okay, could make people surprised when Balor and Styles beat him in 2016? Only Cena.

whatever about the results or if anyone liked them the slump after any ppv in work on Monday is not worth it.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,868 ✭✭✭Andersonisgod

Everything was going great until the Rumble match which turned into the longest meh match you've ever seen. The winner had become nailed on days ago, though that still didn't make it any less frustrating to see Orton win it, but that the match was so poorly laid out, so formulaic and so clearly lacking in any significant surprises or even just fun moments. Usually the Rumble is a great vehicle to set the stage for a number of their big Wrestlemania matches but aside from Goldberg/Lesnar (which they'd set up anyway) and Reigns/Undertaker there was nothing else. Disappointing.

On the bright side, everything else on the card was at least pretty good and the Styles vs Cena match was tremendous ****1/2

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,969 ✭✭✭✭briany

Disappointing Rumble. Sad to see Undertaker so out of shape. I know he's past 50, but the Dead Man gimmick was badly undermined last night by having a very noticeable gut, and I say that as someone whose favourite all-time wrestler is Undertaker. It was a bit like seeing Sting with that bald spot at WM 31, except worse because a bald spot doesn't look great on someone like Sting but doesn't affect his ability to move either, and he looked to be in fine physical shape. 'Taker's extra weight had to have slowed him down, in combination with his age.

Someone else said it better that having Brock, Goldberg and Taker come in to just decimate the other wrestlers makes every other wrestler look weak as hell and gives no reason to a fan to watch the full-time performers, and even the one full-timer who's made look strong is hated by so many fans.

On the up side, at least Roman didn't win, but it's a similar upside to Trump beating Hillary e.g. "at least X didn't win, but Y's no box of roses either". Cena vs Orton is the match no-one wants. Orton vs. anyone doesn't really fill me with huge anticipation either.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,464 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

I really, really wish I hadn't seen the bookies odds right before I went to bed last night, because as it got whittled down, it did become obvious it was a massive spoiler. And I think that, as MNG said, I'd have been giving them a much better reaction to an Orton win if I hadn't have known.

I was disappointed in a way because it felt with Jericho going all the way that he had a good chance of winning, and the story leading out of the show would have been great. But in the end, it was a very basic, straightforward "safe" Rumble. There was no shocks that you'll remember months from now, bar maybe Goldberg's elimination of Brock (which was very well done). But there was no real nostalgia pop, you can't say Tye's debut was a surprise (as awesome as it was) and there wasn't any real stories to come out of it bar one or two.

The idea of Reigns vs Taker is....meh.

Still....congratulations to Bray Wyatt on his WWE title win next month...because surely there's no way we're getting Orton vs Cena AGAIN! (Didn't they run stips before that they would never fight again?).

I'll say I enjoyed it ok. Not saying it was a bad PPV. But it was an incredibly safe, by the numbers show with a very lazy (imo), risk free ending.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,397 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

Fairly meh effort tbh. Managed to get as far as Owens/Reigns last night and having watched the Rumble match this morning I'm glad I checked out when I did.

Styles/Cena was brilliant, as you'd expect, and AJ's debut year in WWE has gone much better than I thought it would. He was always going to be one of the most talented wrestlers on the roster once he signed but I didn't expect him to be given a chance to show it. In the past 12 months he's done that and then some.

Rumble match itself just kinda happened. There was nothing to get excited about, even Kofi's annual spot was sh!t. I thought they'd have Lesnar eliminate Goldberg so they'd be 1-1 going into Mania but don't mind them suggesting Goldberg has his number although I think it would have made more sense to have Lesnar go back in and eliminate him.

Dunno if I am just having a moan but for a few years people have been saying WWE have been giving smart fans the finger with their booking but this was the first time I really felt that was the case. Not a single surprise/Nostalgia entrant unless you count Dillinger which was obvious for a while. Places were wasted on guys like Gallagher and Crews to name a few. The 'who's gonna show up' aspect is one thing I (and I assume others) love about the rumble, and there wasn't even one bit of it. Think the place would've erupted if Joe's music hit at any time in the last few entrants.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,740 ✭✭✭SureYWouldntYa

I really looked forward to the Rumble, there was a pool of a half dozen possible winners I'd have been happy with and no massive hopes of a Daniel Bryan epic story like in other years

I thought there was no bad ending with the guys actually rumoured to win, before Orton's odds dropped earlier in the day, stayed away from all that so him winning was a massive surprise

But damn it's hard not to be disappointed.........again

I get being disappointed with actual sport, my team is not always going to win in football or the guy I want to win will win in mma

But they decide who wins, they can see what we want and would like to see, and yet we don't get it or anything close to it

• Registered Users Posts: 1,168 ✭✭✭oneilla

Very disappointing show for me. Styles/Cena was very good, the other singles matches were OK - really wasn't into Reigns/Owens though, weapons matches at a big show like this in 2017 seems unnecessary. I spent the whole Rumble waiting for surprises and/or Goldberg/Lesnar/Taker. Was holding out for Jericho to win because I just couldn't believe Orton was going to win.

Some of the larger guys got a jant down to the ring - https://twitter.com/guyingreenwwe/status/825929565948243968

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,464 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

I KNEW something was up when Henry came out; the crowd were looking at something happening but the camera, very obviously, was being told not to cover the entrance. Thats funny. I presumed someone jumped the barriers or something.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,258 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

If it's Orton/Cena, Vince is officially just out to troll us.

How the fúck could anyone give a fúck about that match in 2017?

• Registered Users Posts: 29,134 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

oneilla wrote: »
    Some of the larger guys got a jant down to the ring - https://twitter.com/guyingreenwwe/status/825929565948243968

Explains why it cut away. from their entrance. And think for Henry, King made some sort of "What is that?" comment.

Was enjoying the Rumble until all the newer guys got eliminated. After that it became pretty predictable. Strowman looked like a monster. The way he picked up Big Show with seemingly no effort was crazy and that was just after Show struggled picking him up. Corbin looked good as well and dunno who gets the credit but the elimination of Strowman was really fast as opposed the usual clothesline and hold until he goes out.

Was disappointed by Miz. He was just there. Only time I really remember him is when he kept getting moves done on him. Usually he's the guy who's being crafty. But I guess with Jericho there, they couldn't both do it.

Liked how Goldberg eliminated Brock, but it seems really out of character for Brock just to walk away.

Was Taker under the ring for the whole match?

Did the ones eliminated exit through the crowd by the timekeeper because they seemed to go that way.

Thought it would've been funny if while Braun was put on the apron by Sami and Tye, that Ellsworth would've pulled the legs to get him to the floor.

Unfortunately, someone posted Orton's odds in this thread last night so knew he was about to win.

And I think I called the Reigns entry a week or 2 ago. And like I said last night, the year everyone expected Bryan at 30, the excuse was used that he had already competed that night.

And they really need some rule in place to stop people doing what Jericho did. "He's been in this match for 59 minutes!" No he hasn't. He's been in it about 15 minutes. (Slight exggeration, I think but you get my point)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,678 ✭✭✭lawlolawl

WWE once again remind me why I only watch NXT out of all the weekly shows.

Orton is probably the single blandest worker on the roster so him vs. anyone at Mania is going to be a snoozefest of a main event.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,804 ✭✭✭A Brad Maddox Guy

I really enjoyed this PPV in isolation. Cena vs Styles was great and I'm actually glad Cena tied with Flair, something I never thought I'd say but I've found Cena to be really enjoyable the last few years. I don't think it's surprising that this has coincided with WWE leaning on him a little less and Cena himself becoming a much more serious character.

I enjoyed the Rumble match purely because I had no idea who would win which hasn't been the case for the last few Rumbles. I was also very annoyed when Roman entered #30, and cheered Orton eliminating him so I agree with MNG that in terms of where WWE themselves want to go for Mania the end was well booked. I also think Reigns came across very heelish last night and not just because the crowd booed him. He eliminated Taker from behind, stood scowling at him while Michael Cole said (paraphrasing) "I think the earlier attack has caused Reigns to snap" and "this is a new side of Roman Reigns we're seeing tonight", a couple of quotes usually used in conjunction with an attitude change and full blown heel turn. And if they go with Reigns vs Undertaker I think they'll have no choice but to follow through with that so here's hoping.

BUT I have no interest in watching Orton vs Cena at WrestleMania. Absolutely none. I'm expecting/hoping Wyatt will win the Elimination Chamber now and fight Orton at Mania which I would enjoy but there's no chance that'll close the show

As for the rest, I think Braun comes out looking great after destroying Reigns and clearing house (Jericho slinking out of the ring as soon as Braun's music hit was a good little thing too), Zayn & Tye looked decent for being able to withstand him and Zayn & Corbin looked great for eliminating him. Seeing Enzo get murdered was good and the Goldberg Lesnar story was well done too. I thought The New Day worked well in it, Sheamus & Cesaro while expected was also well done, same goes for The Wyatt Family. I love a nostalgia pop as much as anyone, Goldust's return a few years ago is one of my Rumble highlights, but give me a bunch of well told mini stories showcasing the current roster any day. Main disappointment for me was no Finn Balor but if he wasn't going to win then why waste the return anyway.

With finn not in the rumble i think that means hes not going to be at mania except a suprise battle royal entrant. i wouldnt be suprised if they save him for the night after mania.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭demanufactured

Goldberg - Undertaker for WM?

I'm trying to remember the last time someone turned on his partner(s) in the Rumble as obvious as Harper did. I know there's always the eliminations/attempted eliminations between partners but they're usually brushed off.

Still don;t understand the point of that SD Battle Royal when they're still gonna have random guys like Crews, Kalisto and Ellsworth turn up anyway

• Registered Users Posts: 530 ✭✭✭colmufc

Goldberg v Brock
    Taker v roman
    After that its anyone's guess I can't see it being cena v Orton and I can't see ko v Jericho
    The undertaker was plastered in make up
    Jack Gallagher was fun tye at 10 was great but Orton winning was disappointing roman being in it was stupid and taker came from the exit that the eliminated guys were taking

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators Posts: 24,125 Mod ✭✭✭✭Angron

I'm surprised they're going with Orton for Mania. I think there are far more compelling stories to tell. Personally I'd have gone with Taker winning.

I will say - for the story THEY want to tell - it was booked exactly as it should have been. Think about it. What reaction was Orton eliminating Goldberg, or Taker, or even Brock going to get? Answer: a very tepid one.

So Vince goes to his writers and says, 'Damn it, I want my boy Randy to go over and I want you lot to figure out a way to get him the biggest pop imaginable." How do you do that?

Answer: by trolling the fans into thinking Reigns is going to win - the nightmare scenario of the hardcore fan. And that's exactly what they did, and the reaction was exactly what they wanted.

"Anybody but Roman!" the fans screamed. And that's what they gave them. Notice the shots of fans looking to the heavens in joy, hopping up and down etc. The fact this was relief that Reigns didn't win is irrelevant to WWE. They now have their camera shots for their montage video to play over and over for the next two months. Vince wins. WWE wins.

Like I said, it's not the story I would tell. But for the story THEY want to tell...you couldn't really have booked it better than this.From their point of view, they'll be delighted.

Some will complain, we'll have the usual 'I'm not watching Mania' stuff we get a lot of years, but they know most will be tuning in for Mania. And they're right.

Gotta give them credit for their Machiavellian brilliance.

Overall, I thought it was a decent Rumble. Definitely not a classic. Goldberg eliminating Brock was well done. I would have liked some good surprise returns to enhance things.

On to Mania. (P.S. I highly doubt Orton vs Cena is the plan. It will be either Orton vs Bray or Orton vs Styles imo)
    Machiavellian is a bit generous there. Being glad Roman won doesn't make me any happier to see Orton winning. It was an utterly mediocre Rumble, following on from 4 consecutive Rumbles where the winner was so utterly telegraphed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,753 ✭✭✭✭beakerjoe

Like A Brad Maddox Guy, i enjoyed the Rumble from my bubble. i stayed spoiler free all week long, no bookies odds, no podcasts, noi threads on here or even twitter and it enhanced it greatly.

The Rumble was by no means a classic but it was enjoyable. I did pop for Tye, and even a little for Corbin elimianting Braun out of shock. I was hoping for Joe to debut or even Kurt to reappear, the lack of any real surprise was a let down.

I think it was booked very well for the direction WWE want to go. Reigns v Taker was set up nicely IMO and its perfect booking for Reigns to slowly turn heel.

Orton got a great pop by me when he finished off Roman, so WWE did a good job booking Reigns as the man to get Randy Orton with the "anybody but him" mentality working a treat. I doubt that its Orton V Cena. I have no idea where we are going but with fastlane and the Chamber PPV to come, a lot can change in that time.

Overall I enjoyed it. It wasnt too memorable but it was decent enough to watch.

beakerjoe wrote: »
    Like A Brad Maddox Guy, i enjoyed the Rumble from my bubble. i stayed spoiler free all week long, no bookies odds, no podcasts, noi threads on here or even twitter and it enhanced it greatly.

The Rumble was by no means a classic but it was enjoyable. I did pop for Tye, and even a little for Corbin elimianting Braun out of shock. I was hoping for Joe to debut or even Kurt to reappear, the lack of any real surprise was a let down.

I think it was booked very well for the direction WWE want to go. Reigns v Taker was set up nicely IMO and its perfect booking for Reigns to slowly turn heel.

Orton got a great pop by me when he finished off Roman, so WWE did a good job booking Reigns as the man to get Randy Orton with the "anybody but him" mentality working a treat. I doubt that its Orton V Cena. I have no idea where we are going but with fastlane and the Chamber PPV to come, a lot can change in that time.

Overall I enjoyed it. It wasnt too memorable but it was decent enough to watch.

They wont turn him heel though thats the problem with the entire thing if hes turning heel its a perfect way to start but they will just try to play it off as a dream match and try to use taker to get him over like hhh and brock in the previous 2 manias

• Registered Users Posts: 11,611 ✭✭✭✭ERG89

Corbin eliminating Strowman and Braun's showing gained something for them, but the vast majority of the field gained nothing. 40 something Chris Jericho stayed in an hour, Lesnar crushed the field when he entered(the midcarders all laying down in the ring as the real stars collided says everything about the company now). Goldberg eliminated Lesnar, Taker eliminates Goldberg(obviously as nobody needs the rub more than the deadman), Reigns eliminates Taker to set up that match I guess. Miz, Ambrose, Zayn, Sheamus, Cesaro, Rusev & others gained nothing.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,458 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

really thought when Strowman attacked Reigns in the title i match i really thought and hoped that it would be the start of a WM programme for the 2 but they might have that match at Fast Lane where taker will cost Reigns the match (starting a WM programme for taker/reigns)

very doubtful but Id love if they done Lesner/Goldberg III at Fast lane and both guys had different WM programmes (Goldberg vs Taker, Lesner vs KO).

Orton vs Bray Wyatt could be a terrible match to end Mania but could be good if they add something to it (sister abigal etc) but who says Wyatt is getting the title off cena. Styles could win the title at EC (thanks to a debuting Samoa Joe costing Cena the match), Miz could win the title, Cena could keep the title

Hopefully Reigns/Rollins are out of the universal title picture on raw and we get new challengers. Finn Balor could return tonight or in the next month and challenge for the title ???

pissed off there were no major surprises in the rumble

• Registered Users Posts: 13,969 ✭✭✭✭briany

Brock Lesnar should have been entered into the Rumble very early in my opinion. He's the only one out of himself, Goldberg and 'taker with the stamina to go a long time and would have made for a better story. Say Brock came in at number 7 or 8, you could have had everyone else in the ring gang up on him in a temporary alliance, beating him down and trying to put him over the top. This would have kept Brock looking strong, and the rest....well, not looking quite as strong, but not subjected to a humiliating beatdown either.

What ended up happening was that Brock made everyone look weak, until he himself was again one-upped by Goldberg. At least if Brock had been in there a long time you could have said that Brock was worn down and weakened and this is how Goldberg was able to eliminate him so easily.

As for Undertaker, there was just no point. It potentially sets up Goldberg/Taker or Roman/Taker. Kind of cheap matches, made for their supposed drawing power, but what I think would draw even more money would be an actual intriguing feud between Undertaker and a ring general. This would not only give a great buildup but also a great payoff. I'd actually have had Undertaker/Jericho at WM. Jericho could give Undertaker a great match and a great feud to lead up to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,154 ✭✭✭✭Neil3030

Unless we get Jericho v KO and/or Wyatt v Orton, it looks like the only WM matches with more than a two month build will be Lesnar v Goldberg, and HHH v Rollins. No huge surprises there.

One thing (of many) that I expected to happen which didn't was a Smackdown/Raw standoff. Think they did it another year and was cool to see.

• Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭Mouseslayer17

Blandy shaggin Snoreton again
    Zzzzz

• Registered Users Posts: 20,753 ✭✭✭✭beakerjoe

I laughed way too hard at the Jack G umbrella spot with Jericho. If you'd have told me about it before hand Id say its a terrible idea, but Jack and Y2J made it work, great spot

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,182 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

Gallagher is very entertaining.

Advertisement