Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

98 Corolla - Noise when accelerating

• 22-11-2016 3:51pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,359 ✭✭✭

Hi
    I have a Corolla 1.3 petrol in good condition for its age. This past while I have noticed a noise when you accelerate which goes away completely if you lift your foot of the accelerator. It's more noticeable at a higher speed.
    Anyone with experience of these cars have an idea what it may be? I have been told it could be gearbox related. The car changes gears no problems though and there is a good clutch in the car also.
    Cheers

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 18,693 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kimbot

A noise could be anything like scraping, grinding etc could you be a bit more specific as to the noise?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

Could well be gearbox bearings. You could change the gearbox oil and see if it helps. Most likely it was never changed before.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,359 ✭✭✭henke

jonnycivic wrote: »
    A noise could be anything like scraping, grinding etc could you be a bit more specific as to the noise?

I suppose it would be a grinding whining kind of noise when accelerating.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

Sounds like gearbox, these corollas do give trouble with gearbox output bearings in the diff.
    I did one recently cost 150 for a secondhand good gearbox and about 7hrs on my own to change it.

If it is the gearbox is changing the gearbox the only solution? I'm wondering would you get any more warning if the box was going to pack in.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 344 ✭✭ikeano29

The grinding might get worse. The warning you will get is it will just stop your car dead on the road.
    It was bad in my old corolla when going up hill in 3rd, could really notice it then and gear changes were perfect.
    People need to look after gear boxes better, maybe change the feckin gear box oil once in a while

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 150 ✭✭Head Wreck

Had a Corolla, same problem. Turned out to be gear linkage or something like that? It only cost me 70 quid to fix anyway. About 5 years ago

If the gearbox locks up it will immobilise the car, it happened to my Wifes corolla.
    Locked up on a hill and blocked traffic.
    The gearbox oil isn't the issue, its to do with faulty plastic retainers in the output bearings.
    I changed the oil regularly but it still did it.
    Its a known issue.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,812 ✭✭✭✭joujoujou
    Unregistered Users

henke wrote: »
    If it is the gearbox is changing the gearbox the only solution? [...]

No. Especially the one you're gonna use as a replacement could be as good bad as the current one.

Replace bearing(s). Cheaper and definately better.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,292 ✭✭✭tanko

ikeano29 wrote: »
    The grinding might get worse. The warning you will get is it will just stop your car dead on the road.
    It was bad in my old corolla when going up hill in 3rd, could really notice it then and gear changes were perfect.
    People need to look after gear boxes better, maybe change the feckin gear box oil once in a while

How often is the gearbox oil supposed to be changed?

• Advertisement

Depends on how long you intend on keeping the car, the breaker I bought the 2nd hand gearbox from had a returns policy if the gearbox was bad.
    I can tell you that removing,stripping the gearbox, replacing bearings and reassembling and refitting will be more expensive than just replacing a box.
    Time is not cheap.

I get the car serviced regularly and it has only got 135k on the clock and the engine is perfect not burning any oil etc. I'll take it to my mechanic and ask his opinion on it I'd leave until NCT time but the problem is I don't think I'd trust the car on a long drive etc the other side of the country. Also concerned that it may be hard to find good corolla gearboxes nowadays.

Advertisement