Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Do I qualify as a new customer?

Options
  • 22-11-2016 4:03pm
    Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,305 ✭✭✭✭

I switched my electricity supply from Electric Ireland about 18 months ago.  I'm looking to switch provider again and Electric Ireland have a deal that I'm interest in but it says it's for new customers.  Do I qualify as I'm not currently a customer?  Thanks.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭Electric Ireland: Una

Hi Zaph,

Many thanks for your interest in Electric Ireland.

You would be eligible for the offer in question as it is for switching to Electric Ireland from another provider.

If you have any further queries, do let us know.

Best regards,
    Una

________

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,305 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

Thanks Una

Sorry Una, just one more question.  The tariff I'm looking at makes no mention of a level pay option.  Is this available on request or is it excluded from some tariffs?

You're welcome Zaph, we're more than happy to help.

You can indeed avail of this facility after registration. With Electric Ireland, it is known as the Equaliser and it is available for both electricity and gas. More details available via the following links:

Electricity Equaliser

Gas Equaliser

Do let us know if you require any further information.

Kind regards,
    Una

________

• Registered Users Posts: 5,442 ✭✭✭LollipopJimmy

Is the equaliser available for new customers now? It used to be only available after 3 billing cycles? 

• Advertisement

Hi LollipopJimmy,

Thank you for getting in touch.

Sorry, I should have clarified that while electricity customers can avail of the Equaliser after registration with Electric Ireland, it is not until after two bills based on meter-readings (this is outlined in further detail on the link).

Gas customers can avail of the Equaliser immediately.

If you have any other questions, do let us know.

Una

________

This is a bit of a pain Una, I've signed up to EI on the basis that I could avail of the equaliser as soon I received my account details. Now you're telling me that will be a minimum of four months, and could be longer depending on when meter reasons are taken. That's not really acceptable tbh. Why can't the details be taken from the company in switching from?

Zaph wrote: »
    This is a bit of a pain Una, I've signed up to EI on the basis that I could avail of the equaliser as soon I received my account details. Now you're telling me that will be a minimum of four months, and could be longer depending on when meter reasons are taken. That's not really acceptable tbh. Why can't the details be taken from the company in switching from?
    Also bare in mind your equaliser will be based on your usage in the months of Nov, Dec, Jan and Feb, heaviest time if year

Hi again Zaph,

I'm very sorry that you are disappointed. That information regarding Equaliser for electricity is included in the link I posted on Tuesday, but apologies for not mentioning it in the post also.

Electric Ireland would not have information regarding your usage pattern with your previous provider and there is no way of over-riding the system that requires this wait in relation to the electricity Equaliser (I have consulted with a colleague in this regard for you) however we can set up a payment plan/change the due date for any of your first bills if you wish.

Also, if one of your first bills is estimated, we can input a meter-reading to correct it here on Boards (this is faster than sending a meter-reading via the online form). Did you avail of the €175 bonus credit also? If so, this is applied to the account as a lump sum so it immediately covers that amount in terms of billing. A bill can also be pre-paid in instalments throughout the six or seven weeks between a bill's due date and when the next bill issues (if the customer has direct debit, pre-payments should only be via electronic means - e.g. through their Online Billing portal, via debit or credit card on the Electric Ireland website or via internet banking; in the case of direct debit customers also, the final pre payment should be made eight working days before the direct debit due date as the payment can take two working days to reach an account, and the bank can require six working days' notice).

Do let us know if we can be of further assistance today - we are online until 6pm.

Kind regards,
    Una

Our of curiosity Una, why can gas customers avail of the equaliser immediately and electricity customers can't?  Surely you would have the same issues with not knowing the gas customer's previous usage pattern?

I did take up the offer with the €175 credit, but it says that the credit may be applied on my first or second bill, so in theory I could end up having to pay the first bill in its entirety.  It's not a dealbreaker, but it is a bit annoying that I was able to sign up to level pay with my previous supplier immediately without having to wait until I was a third of the way through the contract and I can't with EI.  However if I see that any of my first two bills are estimated I will make sure I supply a proper reading to yourselves.

• Advertisement

Zaph wrote: »
    Our of curiosity Una, why can gas customers avail of the equaliser immediately and electricity customers can't?  Surely you would have the same issues with not knowing the gas customer's previous usage pattern?

I did take up the offer with the €175 credit, but it says that the credit may be applied on my first or second bill, so in theory I could end up having to pay the first bill in its entirety.  It's not a dealbreaker, but it is a bit annoying that I was able to sign up to level pay with my previous supplier immediately without having to wait until I was a third of the way through the contract and I can't with EI.  However if I see that any of my first two bills are estimated I will make sure I supply a proper reading to yourselves.
    Gas Networks Ireland will tell suppliers what the usage was over the previous 12 months. ESB won't do the same for electricity. It's a systems thing as far as I know. I'm open to correction on this though

Hi again Zaph and LollipopJimmy,

Regarding your query about the difference between the electricity Equaliser and the gas Equaliser, Zaph, it is as LollipopJimmy says: ESB Networks do not advise us as to the customer's usage with their previous provider, however Gas Networks Ireland do.

With regard to your bonus credit: if a bill issues to you before this is applied to your account, it will just be covering a short period - from when your registration with Electric Ireland comes into effect. When a customer commences registration with a provider, their first bill could issue any time between immediately and two months after - it depends on what point of the billing cycle at which the customer registers.

If you like, we can review your details to see what stage things are at in relation to your switch - just send any of us reps a private message confirming your electricity meter point reference number (MPRN) or your telephone number, stating that you are to be the account-holder, your name, address and date of birth.

We will be able to review either this evening before 6pm or on Monday.

Kind regards,
    Una

________

That's OK Una, I'm sure it'll all switch over quickly enough.  Thanks for getting back to me so quickly on all my questions.

Hi again Zaph,

You're very welcome - we're happy to advise.

Thanks again for choosing Electric Ireland.

Kind regards,
    Una

________

Advertisement