Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Paying a Lump Sum off my Bank of Ireland Mortgage

• 22-11-2016 4:29pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 790 ✭✭✭

I got 100% mortgage (2007) and have 25 years left. There is 295000 euro left to pay. I am on Tracker 1.25% above ECB rate.

I have 10000 euro in my bank account now and is thinking about paying a Lump Sum of 10,000 towards my mortgage and reduce my term to 20 years.

Is this wise? Or shall I invest this money in a fixed deposit or savings account or some thing like that in a foreign bank with 8% interest ?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,991 ✭✭✭sword1

Where can you get 8% interest?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 790 ✭✭✭TestLink

ICICI Bank, HDFC Bank etc

Well if you can get that with little risk you would be foolish to pay off a tracker at a low rate ,you will never get a loan on those terms again

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 790 ✭✭✭TestLink

The Tracker rate is low now bec the ECB rate is low. What happens when the ECB rate goes high again?

I am no expert but if you put the money away in to something you will have access to it again in a maximum of 5 years you can review the situation then ,its not going to go that high in that timeframe

• Advertisement
Advertisement