Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Car insurance

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,373 ✭✭✭selous

Try its4women.ie, they gave me (male) the best quote E589 and company I was with reduced from E720 to E599 to (kind of) match it, (for a 2.2L)

• Registered Users Posts: 14,093 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

selous wrote: »
    Try its4women.ie, they gave me (male) the best quote E589 and company I was with reduced from E720 to E599 to (kind of) match it, (for a 2.2L)

I've just tried them, and i'll be saving myself €300+. They're waaaaaaaay cheaper than anyone else i've tried! Instead of paying €78 a month, it's dropped to €55 but includes NCB Protection, which my current doesn't. And it's fully comp, which my current isn't...

• Registered Users Posts: 797 ✭✭✭cplwhisper

Read their T &C rules !!
    Its4women may be getting ur business underwritten by their brother company caoige . Some policies will use up that protected bonus option for simple fire or theft claims and can charge major fees die alterations....

Also google their customer care !!!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,349 ✭✭✭Jimmy Garlic

If I identify as a woman would I be able to get a quote from its4women.ie?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,395 ✭✭✭ofcork

Just realized boi when they sent me my renewal they included the new cert and disc temptation is mighty!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,646 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Just thinking about this again, and my huge increase.

My house insurance has stayed at the same level for 4 years now, and this despite all the flooding damage done in recent years.

Why is the house insurance not rocketing up?

If I identify as a woman would I be able to get a quote from its4women.ie?

It should be renamed to itsnotjust4women.ie - I'm male (i check regularly) and i got a quote.
    NIMAN wrote: »

My house insurance has stayed at the same level for 4 years now, and this despite all the flooding damage done in recent years.

Because house insurance is mandatory for everyone with a mortgage and you have to have it, no getting around it, so it's guaranteed income regardless. Well, that's what i'm thinking.

selous wrote: »

Tried them wanted 720 for their proper comprehensive.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,846 ✭✭✭✭Liam McPoyle

NIMAN wrote: »

There have actually been very little weather related claims over the last 4 or 5 years. Bit of flash flooding in a few areas but nothing like the big freezes we got in 09 & 10.

There is also the little fact that your house is not going to go out on the road and crash into someone or run a pedestrian down.

Simplified, motor insurance is divided into two risk sections.

Damage to the vehicle itself via fire, theft or accident.

Damage to third parties ie other motorists or road users.

The rates are heavily skewed towards the third party element, I'd estimate somewhere in the region of 70/30.

What that essentially means is that due to the number of claims being made for personal injury and / or death that section is costing insurers more and therefore costs customers more.

Look at employment levels, currently at its highest point since August 2008.

Look at the spike in road deaths between 2015 to 2016, something like a 20% increase.

Higher employment = more cars on the road = more accidents = increased cost of claims.

I was out for dinner with some friends the other night and the topic of insurance came up.

The female had a crash about 18 months ago. Tipped into the back of two lads in an 18 tonne rigid. No damage to the truck, surface damage to her car. Claim was settled for €18k for the driver and passenger of the truck due to "soft tissue damage"

The guy, his sister in-law was involved in a head on collision with one of her neighbours. Both parties agreed go through their own insurance as it was a 50/50 accident. The claim was settled. Literally two years to the date the other party lodged a PI claim for the driver and two passengers. Her solicitor is of the opinion that it was delayed that long in order to stop her lodging a counter claim. These people are neighbours she has known her whole life.

These are the kind of scumbag bastards that are driving up insurance costs.

ofcork wrote: »
    Tried them wanted 720 for their proper comprehensive.

They gave me the cheapest quote, but I did stay with my original insurance company (123) when they came to within E10 of the quote.
    I did get quotes like

Liberty E1582.19
    Axa E1027.87 - E1135.20
    AA E1138.70 - E1194.13

So its4women were almost half of the above quotes, and 123 came from E720 to E599, so I stayed with them,

When I had the guy on the phone I reduced the price of the car, from E23500 to E21000, he told me the quote went UP, so he left it at the original value, now how does that work??

• Advertisement

Going to try a few more although boi have made it very easy to stay with them sending out the cert already and 10 direct debits,just tried 123 and quote of 1309!!

• Registered Users Posts: 774 ✭✭✭Woodgate

Got my renewal from Liberty today 65% increase to €664 from €403 last year and €326 the previous year. Have had cover in my own name for over 20 years, never a claim, prices seem nuts, have been quoted much higher and a little bit lower but 65% increase is outrageous.

Woodgate wrote: »
    Got my renewal from Liberty today 65% increase to €664 from €403 last year and €326 the previous year. Have had cover in my own name for over 20 years, never a claim, prices seem nuts, have been quoted much higher and a little bit lower but 65% increase is outrageous.

You may not have noticed the change on this years renewal of libertys.

Last year they allowed a penalty point discount of 29% for zero points thus normal renewal €550 less discount meant you'd pay 400 roughly. Their flat rates are up 20 odd % on top of 550 and this year the have stopped allowing penalty point discounts.

Makes the increase look massive , just means you benefited in previous years but those days are well gone unfortunately

• Registered Users Posts: 774 ✭✭✭Woodgate

cplwhisper wrote: »
    You may not have noticed the change on this years renewal of libertys.

Last year they allowed a penalty point discount of 29% for zero points thus normal renewal €550 less discount meant you'd pay 400 roughly. Their flat rates are up 20 odd % on top of 550 and this year the have stopped allowing penalty point discounts.

Makes the increase look massive , just means you benefited in previous years but those days are well gone unfortunately

Thanks, that must be it, just seems so high to me, I have zero points anyway, will keep shopping around.
    Cheers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,460 ✭✭✭Barry Badrinath

Im changing car soon. Filled in an online quote on Aviva's website and it "couldnt quote" me.

17 yrs driving
    12 yrs full licence
    No points
    Never a claim
    09 2.0L petrol A6

My current policy is with Aviva too. Cowboys Ted.

Axa quoted my €996.

Fcuk that

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,161 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Filled in an online quote on Aviva's website and it "couldnt quote" me.
    In my experience that inevitably means "ring us and we may quote you, but bend over and apply love lube liberally".

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,569 ✭✭✭Special Circumstances

17 yrs driving
    12 yrs full licence
    No points
    Never a claim
    09 2.0L petrol A6

They wonder why they are losing money hand over fist no matter what... and then you see profiles like this being turned away.

Jesus are they just sitting around dribbling on themselves all day, mashing keyboards randomly?

Just who are they insuring? No one by the look of their assumptions for new business!

Wibbs wrote: »
    In my experience that inevitably means "ring us and we may quote you, but bend over and apply love lube liberally".

Yeah, ring and beg us to insure you.

Its beyond a joke at this stage. Obviously I am a risky potential client, living in risky DLR and driving a risky vehicle.

:pac: cnuts

• Registered Users Posts: 1,621 ✭✭✭joebloggs32

Woodgate wrote: »

I am with aviva, very similar history to you. 15 years full licence, never had any claims apart from windscreen 5 years ago, no penalty points and in November went up 65%. Shopped around but couldn't find anyone to beat my renewal.
    I have an 07 car so I am assuming they loaded my quote due to the car turning 10 years old this year.

I've been accused by insurance industry posters of posting nonsense (and I've subsequently been shown to be absolutely accurate and correct, lolz) many times here.

But here is something that could be nonsense. Definite bang of conspiracy theory off this but here goes:

At this stage I am speculating that certain age/location/occupation profiles are seeing huge increases not because they reflect greater risk and not because of some proportional increase - but because mid thirties+ good tax paying middle class Joes will cough up. They have the most to lose from being caught without insurance (reputation, jobs) and they've worked damn hard to get a comfortable car with a good safety rating and a few toys and that suits a long commute, so they are not going to go back to <1L city car just to bring down their insurance.

TL/DR - I'm saying the "squeezed middle" are being targeted for disproportionate increases because they are soft targets.

Flat out refusal to quote profiles like fancy pants just suggests incompetence rather than malice though I just can't see the justification for it. Where are the red flags in that profile?

• Advertisement

35 Male
    Employed
    Advanced driving courses
    <20,000km
    17 yrs driving
    12 yrs full licence
    No points (Had 1 point 6/7 years ago)
    Never a claim
    09 2.0L petrol A6
    No additional driver

I have done a bit of work online. All comprehensive with default excess and no add ons.

Aviva - My current insurer couldnt quote me.
    Supervalu - Couldnt quote me.
    Sheridan Brokers - Couldnt quote me.
    Liberty - €1082
    FBD - €1006
    Axa online - €996
    AIG - €890
    25+ - €730
    Allianz - €718
    Post Insurance - €692
    123.ie - €635

Through the Chill.ie website:
    Asgard Motor First- €1999
    Axa Motor First Plus - €1457
    Axa Motor First Standard - €1405
    Axa Motor First Basic - €1373
    Wrightway - €1099
    KennCo Unique - €890

• Registered Users Posts: 2,123 ✭✭✭Living Off The Splash

The original quote that I got from 123 was circa €320 with No Claim Bonus Protection. A day later this had gone to circa €340 and then circa €360 a couple of days after that. I hadn't heard that they had been taken over by Ryanair.

Apparently their quotes only last for 24 hours.

I see that their Full No Claims Protection, only covers one accident in 3 years, same as Allianz. Zurich and Aviva cover two accidents in 3 years for a similar priced quotation.

Why does Allianz ask me the exact date I got my Full Driving Licence just to get an online quote. I got mine around 1970 but do I remember the exact date? If I guess at a date will they hold this against me if I ever make a claim?

Why does Allianz ask me the exact date I got my Full Driving Licence just to get an online quote. I got mine around 1970 but do I remember the exact date? If I guess at a date will they hold this against me if I ever make a claim?

Wouldn't put it past them! :pac:

If I guess at a date will they hold this against me if I ever make a claim?

Guess the date, but when actually getting the insurance, have your details correct. (Ring your local NDLS centre to get the exact date)

The date u pass ur test is noted on your licence beside cat B title

• Registered Users Posts: 930 ✭✭✭Jakey Rolling

Renewal quote came in from 25plus today, surprised it was down from €470 to €433.
    No changes, 152 Octavia 2.0 diesel, already on max NCB.

My wife's quote for 08 Golf renewal quote gone up by about 20% from same insurer.
    Go figure.

Maybe moving into Over 50 age group puts me in a perceived lower risk group?

100412.2526@compuserve.com

Any one try Quote Devil yet, haven't seen it's name mentioned so far. I did, as I had my home contents with them, and when it was due for renewal they called and emailed a month before and a month after the due date, when I phoned about the car insurance I never got a return call, and I asked about car insurance when they were ringing about the home contents policy renewal, still never anywhere, so didn't renew my home policy with them.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,349 ✭✭✭Jimmy Garlic

I have an 07 car so I am assuming they loaded my quote due to the car turning 10 years old this year.

That is a big part of their scam. No justification for it. I take that as proof that the insurance extorters are hand in hand with the motor ''industry'' who would like to see as many perfectly serviceable cars scrapped in order to boost sales. The government gets their cut too of course. It is one big cartel where people behind closed doors cooked up an idea to rip off those who can least afford it by grabbing their money one way or another. Same old story. The government, the insurance extorters and the motor ''industry'' are all in this together, it is all one giant scam.

Advertisement