Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Help for a picky buyer

• 22-11-2016 5:10pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,430 ✭✭✭

So this could prove to be impossible but I said I'd give it a go. My da is looking at getting a new car, brand new or probably 1-3 years old. Car will be kept until it dies so he doesn't mind going new if it's worth it.

That's where the easy bit stops. He has a mad list of what he wants and expects from the car, I had a few suggestions for him but most where ruled out for one reason or another.

So the car needs to have a decent seating position, probably high. My mam has a bad back and they got rid of an older toyota corolla cos she ended up hurting herself getting into it and got an old Merc A class that has given them the idea of something with a better (read higher) seating position. Also looking at a petrol and something not too big, Tucson is too big, Quashqai is too big. Not too tricky so far.

He won't buy French, no chance, no way, not happening. Has his ideas about them and won't be changed.

Car needs to have a spare wheel or at least the opportunity to buy one. He was talking to Honda and was quoted 500 euro for a spare wheel, and it couldn't be bolted down in the car. Honda are now pretty much off the list.

Can't have keyless entry or keyless starting, central locking will work tho. In fact the less gadgets the better really.

I had suggested the Juke but he doesn't like the shape. At the moment he's more than likely going to go for a Mistubishi ASX or a Suzuki Vitara. Probably comes down to him gives him the best price.

Anything else he should be looking at? The budget would be around them cars price new, he'd more than likely be happier with a little less.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,297 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Skoda Yeti, there is a new model out in 2017 so there might be deals to be had on the current model.

Toyota CH-R, brand new model that is similar to a Nissan Juke in size, not sure about the spare wheel options though. Available in both petrol and hybrid.

Opel Mokka, again similar in size to the Juke and recently got a facelift and rebadged the Mokka X.

Dacia Sandero Stepway, you can get them in petrol and most are basic enough inside given the low price but I've a feeling your father will rule them out simply because they will be an unrecognized budget brand to him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,451 ✭✭✭CharlieCroker

Did he like the A-Class? What about a B-class?

Duster only available in diesel though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,430 ✭✭✭joey100

@bazz, forgot about the Skoda yeti, must mention it to him. Would tick most of the boxes too. Your bang on about the dacia, not a chance!

He had a look at the new Toyota but the shape is a bit too 'mad' (his words) for him.

He's not mad on the a class, likes the car itself but doesn't like how it looks, the shape, and most of the stuff on it. Had big problems with it fogging up at the start and that's all he seems to remember about the car.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,652 ✭✭✭✭fits

Audi Q3 too big? The Q2 sounds perfect for him but only just launched.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,231 ✭✭✭MarkN

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,672 ✭✭✭kay 9

The juke and the duster both have French heritage iirc. The asx is nice. Rav 4 a possible contender?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 73,478 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Hyundai ix20 or Kia Venga. Or both with all the money they'd save.

Cheers for the suggestions.

I'd say the 2 audi's would be out of budget, probably a bit too many toys on them too.

The Mazda had been mentioned by him and pretty sure he is going to look at one too. Must remind him.

I'll mention the Ix20 to him and the Kia Venga but I have a feeling he's looking more for something like a SUV but not an SUV (if that makes any sense). Ticks all the boxes though.

Thanks again folks.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,865 ✭✭✭TRS30

Ford C-max?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 449 ✭✭logie101

GLA Merc?

• Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭tomaso11

ford ecosport?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,615 ✭✭✭grogi

Fiat 500X

sni-tile.jpg

tomaso11 wrote: »
    ford ecosport?

They're pretty nasty.

EcoSport is only sold here in diesel also.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 551 ✭✭✭Squeaksoutloud

Petrol cx-3 looks the biz to me out of all those suggestions.

• Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭oscar2

Suzuki Vitara looks good on price and is compact with a high driving position.But as an alternative how about Seat Ateca.

Just remember these aren't my answers so don't shoot the messenger!

Had mentioned the Merc before but he has said that the newer small merc's come with a renault engine and because renault are french that means all small Merc's are out of the question. (I have no idea if the GLA even uses that engine but he is convinced it does and there is no convincing him otherwise!)

I should have included Fiat's with the French cars, not going to happen.

C-Max is a little like the Ix20 and Kia Venga, think he's leaning more towards an SUV or compact cross over.

So far it's looking like a CX-3, vitara or ASX. He's going to look at them on Monday so I'll let you's know if there is any feedback from him on any of them. I'd say it will be more than likely the ASX, he had a Lancer that he got when it was a year or two old and had it for around 8 years and never had a bit of trouble with it. I get the impression his mind is made up but he just wants to look at them all. He likes the price on the vitara and has always liked Mazda's (he drove my RX8 years ago and has loved any Mazda since).

Personally if it were my choice I'd skip the ASX, they are really behind the times compared to their rivals and are just receiving another facelift to keep them alive. However you folks might feel different.

Did they look at the Opel Mokka X?

ASX is dated but against that has an 8 year warranty.

• Advertisement

I'd personally hate to have to live with one for 8 years but it may well suit the OP's parents.

oscar2 wrote: »
    ASX is dated but against that has an 8 year warranty.

Is it a proper 8 year warranty?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,140 ✭✭✭James Bond Junior

I'm a very regular passenger in a cx3 and it is a very nice place to be. Would the heating/radio etc controls on a central screen controlled by a wheel be a deal breaker?

colm_mcm wrote: »
    Is it a proper 8 year warranty?

Says on website 5 year warranty now extended by dealers by 3 years backed by Mitsubushi. Subject to a free annual health check in addition to servicing.

Skimmed the policy and conditions look reasonable.Better than most add on warranties.

Not my first choice but not worst compact Suv out there.

I think he's got rose tinted glasses towards the mitsubishi. He had a lancer and never had any trouble so now thinks all mistubishis are great. To be honest he's not too concerned on looks or how it compares to the newer cross overs out there. It is pretty basic inside but that seems to be what he's looking for. He's of the opinion that the less toys and gadgets on it the less that can go wrong. Someone told him once that it was easy to clone keyless entry so now all keyless entry cars are off the list.

Wouldn't be my first choice either, of the three I'd be pushing him towards the CX-3, seems to be the nicest and comes with a decent spec. I've tried to get him to look at the new Seat but for some reason he doesn't seem to be pushed. It would fit the description too, can get a basic enough spec for cheap enough, decent size and comes in a petrol. He's had seat's before and liked them but for some reason the new one isn't on his list.

I know he looked at the older Mokka, not sure if he's looked at the new Mokka X though. Opel wouldn't be his favourite car brand either, but it does look nice and I'll suggest it to him.

Mokka X is just a marketing term by Opel for a facelift of the old Mokka so he probably won't change his mind much on the new one.

If he is looking for something old school then the ASX and Vitra are probably the most suitable in that case.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,793 ✭✭✭Red Kev

Golf Plus. Not built anymore, but they were built until 2014 or 2015.

My parents had a couple of them; excellent cars for people of that age group. Seat is at a perfect height, so you don't have to climb up or down when getting in or out. Big doors as well to help entry and exit, a lot of the SUV's don't have that.

Solid build, firm seats and they don't feel wide, long or bulky to drive. Has a couple of handy options like reversing sensors as well.

It's been replaced by the Golf SV here, I've no idea what they're like as regards height etc. but they may be worth a look.

Advertisement