Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Refund for a voucher?

Options
  • 22-11-2016 5:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 21,039 ✭✭✭✭

Bought a voucher for a night away in a cottage last Christmas for my boyfriend but tbh with work and personal issues we never got the chance to use it. It's coming up to the expiry date and was wondering is there any chance of me getting a refund for it? I paid for it with my credit card over the phone last Dec. Am I covered by anything as regards a refund?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 40,458 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

Short answer is no. You could always ask them to extend the expiry date.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,707 ✭✭✭BeardySi

No. You bought it and didn't use it. Nothing to do with the supplier and there's certainly no comeback via your credit card.
    If you ask them nicely they might well extend it.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,039 ✭✭✭✭retro:electro

Figured as much! Said I'd ask anyway. Cheers

• Moderators Posts: 6,862 ✭✭✭Spocker

You could always try and sell it, try http://www.adverts.ie/for-sale/tickets/vouchers/266 , you might get some/most of your money back

• Registered Users Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

You'd swear its illegal to refund the way people are posting! I have got offered a full refund on a voucher before, admittedly that would be uncommon but I would not bluntly say NO. In this case they stand to lose a lot (as I guess it is groupon or similar) so its likely it will be no, but worth a try.

The extension of the voucher is a good one to try. I got vouchers for a local takeaway on groupon and the takeaway themselves extended the expiry date. I guessed it could have been since many were unused and they were expecting a huge influx of orders in the coming week or 2, or that they were still short on cash and would have preferred delays in them being cashed in.

The other option is to get it refunded for less than you paid. If it was a voucher for say a electronics store selling stuff with a small 10% profit they might be happy to give you say 90 euro for a 100euro voucher, as they do not really lose anything.

In this case they likely do lose a lot, as its probably a high margin sale. If this was a groupon voucher you have to bear in mind groupon take 50% as standard with most companies. So if you paid 200 euro for the voucher the business only got 100euro, so they would be mad to give you 200 back.

If they say no to an extension you could then try asking for a combination, i.e. pay a bit more for the extension. Or you could stay an extra day and pay full price for that. Most decent owners will want to sort you out and not be rubbing their hands in delight at being able to legally tell you to f off and take your money. Most value goodwill.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,926 ✭✭✭davo10

rubadub wrote: »
    You'd swear its illegal to refund the way people are posting

To be fair the op asked if he/she was "covered by anything in regards a refund" and the answers given were no, he/she is not covered by any consumer rights. Nothing wrong with that, anything they do is at their discretion.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

davo10 wrote: »
    To be fair the op asked if he/she was "covered by anything in regards a refund" and the answers given were no, he/she is not covered by any consumer rights. Nothing wrong with that, anything they do is at their discretion.

Fair enough, but also "to be fair" I was thinking more of this question, the first one, they asked more than one you know. Nobody quoted the question they were replying to, just said no, which could be taken to be in reply to both.
    was wondering is there any chance of me getting a refund for it?

There IS a chance -which nobody seemed to address, just pure blunt NO which is all to common in this forum, quite annoying at times. Must put many off posting here TBH

Advertisement