Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The lunatics have taken over the asylum

• 22-11-2016 5:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 141 ✭✭

I browse this forum a bit and thought that this article might be of interest to people here:

http://www.irishtimes.com/news/environment/dublin-city-council-rejects-aa-s-speed-limit-increase-proposals-1.2878103
    A recommendation by AA Ireland for higher speed limits on seven major traffic routes to Dublin has been rejected by Dublin City Council engineers, despite the intervention of the Department of Transport on the motorists’ lobby group’s behalf.
    The Automobile Association wants the council to raise the limit from 50km/h to 80km/h on three arterial routes, with limits increasing up to 60km/h or 70km/h on four others, as part of the review of speeds in the city......

It seems the only part of the AA's submission that the council has actually accepted is a proposal to reduce the speed limit of one particular road from 50 km/h to 30.

To me, this is proof, as if it were needed, that the council has an agenda set by certain vocal minority interest groups and that this so called public consultation was just a going through the motions process. To me this is not democracy in action as the voice for the majority of road users in Dublin, the AA, is being completely ignored to cater to the minority! As a motorist who regularly uses the capital's roads I'm pretty pissed off at this!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,883 ✭✭✭pa990

Do you think any recommendations from Billy Bob Breakdown Recovery or any other recovery company would have been taken more seriously. ?

The AA is a towing service. No-one takes them seriously on matters of policy.

More frightening is phase II which is to reduce the speedlimit to 30kph for pretty much everywhere inside the M50, some lunatics in DCC.
    Dublin City Council is recommending the introduction of a 30km/h speed limit in all residential areas between the Royal and Grand canals despite results of a public consultation showing most respondents do not believe it would work.

The council received 550 submissions with 267 expressing concerns such as impracticability and increased congestion.

Of these, 47 claimed it is difficult to travel at such low speeds, while 34 claimed that motorists were being targeted with most believing it was a revenue stream through speeding fines.

A further 183 said that the limit would not reduce speed on its own or that existing speed limits were not enforced.

A total of 100 agreed with the 30km/h limit.

https://www.rte.ie/news/2016/1122/833605-speed-limits-dublin/

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭Veloce150

I browse this forum a bit and thought that this article might be of interest to people here:

http://www.irishtimes.com/news/environment/dublin-city-council-rejects-aa-s-speed-limit-increase-proposals-1.2878103

It seems the only part of the AA's submission that the council has actually accepted is a proposal to reduce the speed limit of one particular road from 50 km/h to 30.

To me, this is proof, as if it were needed, that the council has an agenda set by certain vocal minority interest groups and that this so called public consultation was just a going through the motions process. To me this is not democracy in action as the voice for the majority of road users in Dublin, the AA, is being completely ignored to cater to the minority! As a motorist who regularly uses the capital's roads I'm pretty pissed off at this!
    The AA is no longer the democratic lobby group it used to be in the dying days of the Empire, it's an attention-seeking commercial company that sells services to motorists who they misleadingly call 'members'. It tries to maintain its public profile by getting free publicity from the media. They no more represent motorists than Axa, Aviva or Allianz.

The AA wanted to raise the speed limit on Fairview Strand to 80kph....they've really lost the plot. That road is already hazardous enough.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 620 ✭✭✭LeChienMefiant

To me this is not democracy in action as the voice for the majority of road users in Dublin, the AA, is being completely ignored to cater to the minority! As a motorist who regularly uses the capital's roads I'm pretty pissed off at this!
    Funnily enough, "road users" are not the only people in the city. People live and work here and private motorists are well down the list of priorities. Just for your information, pedestrians should be number 1 imo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

cisk wrote: »
    More frightening is phase II which is to reduce the speedlimit to 30kph for pretty much everywhere inside the M50, some lunatics in DCC.

= residential areas
    arterial routes would continue to have higher limits

• Advertisement
Advertisement