Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Athlone or Tullamore

Options
  • 22-11-2016 5:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6

Hi,

I'm starting work in the Midlands Regional in Tullamore next month.

I had a look around Tullamore yesterday, and I wouldn't be too gone on the place. I worked
    in Waterford until last September and am used to bigger sized towns.

Am wondering would it be better if I rented in Athlone and commuted into Tullamore via
    train. Anyone recommend any areas to avoid? Ideally I'd be looking in an area close to the train station. (15 min walk from the station in Tullamore to the hospital)

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 19,240 Mod ✭✭✭✭L.Jenkins

If you're set on living in Athlone, I'd have a look at the town first. I wouldn't exactly call it big in comparison to Tullamore, but yes, we would have a bit more in terms of shopping and what not. You can get some decent places to rent here, not to far from the train station as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,075 ✭✭✭Rasmus

I don't think the train service is regular enough to warrent it a decent commute. Also, rents seem to be better in Tullamore- they are expensive and thin on the ground in Athlone for a decent place.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 19,240 Mod ✭✭✭✭L.Jenkins

Just had a look and the rent prices in Tullamore aren't much better than here in Athlone.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,203 Mod ✭✭✭✭charlieIRL

Its a good walk from the train station to the hospital in Tullamore as well.

Its not a bad town at all, not as big as Athlone but still has a lot going for it.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,295 ✭✭✭Lt Dan

Frankly, while, naturally, Athlone is superior, like, Tullamore actually is pleasantly a decent spot. Athlone , as great as it is, is not all that for nights out at the weekend eg music /comedy gigs etc . There is only so many times one needs to go shopping as well.

Best look at the rent and availability of decent rent etc because, as someone pointed out, the public transport is not the best. But, again, it may well be suitable for your good self in that there are suitable trains from Athlone to Dublin for 6:15 am which stops in Tullamore and then the Dublin train to Galway which stops in Tullamore - Athlone around 6:30 pmish , but miss them, and it won't be great. Check out the time tables for the trains. Not much of a bus service . If you get a good place in Tullamore, I am not entirely sure that you would be missing a lot with Athlone.

• Advertisement
Advertisement