Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cooker wiring question

Options
  • 22-11-2016 6:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 21,470 ✭✭✭✭

I'm thinking of replacing an existing free-standing electric cooker with a new one, and pulled out the old one to take a look at how it was connected. Apart from years of dust, dead spiders and general muck, after a bit of cleaning I was confronted with this ...

ok0953.jpg

2sa0b60.jpg

Is this a normal, usual, safe and/or legal way of connecting up a cooker, or should the cable, 6mm t+e as far as I can tell, which should be OK, have been chased into the wall and terminated in a cooker terminal box, and then another, maybe heatproof cable from there to the cooker, or doesn't it make any difference?

The other concern is the burnt looking patch on the wall, which lines up with what looks like some kind of exhaust vent for the main oven on the back of the cooker, which also looks pretty manky, see below ...

jaz485.jpg

Obviously I'll give the whole wall a good tidy up and repaint before getting the new cooker put in, but what could have caused that? It looks heat related rather than just down to grease and cooking fumes from the oven, and I'd assume any oven would comply with any regulations there might be concerning distance from the rear wall of any such vent? It's a block dividing wall by the way.

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,595 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

Looks like an issue with the old cooker to me. If possible I like to put lugs onto the cooker cable and other high current appliances when terminating them. This provides a more solid connection.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,051 ✭✭✭Tuco88

The way its done there is not uncommon in older installations.The less cable exposed the better. I'd imagine that if chased down to a cooker conection unit would be the right job. They used to spec a 4mm^2 heat resistant flex from a joint box (instead of the C.C.U) one time.

You you get a seprate hob and oven you have a different kettle of fish.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,470 ✭✭✭✭Alun

Thanks, it just looks a bit shoddy to me that's all, but if it's OK I'll leave it. It's a bungalow built in 1995, and while some aspects of it were done well, including the plumbing, the electrics aren't great from a tidiness point of view.

The current cable is a bit on the long side, so I'll probably shorten it a little when the new one goes in.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,470 ✭✭✭✭Alun

2011 wrote: »
    If possible I like to put lugs onto the cooker cable and other high current appliances when terminating them. This provides a more solid connection.
    Thanks, are these a standard width for cooker terminal blocks do you know? the new cooker is likely to be an Electrolux one if that makes any difference.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,595 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

Alun wrote: »
    Thanks, are these a standard width for cooker terminal blocks do you know?
    No such thing as standard :)

Lugs are cheap. All you need to know is:
    1) Conductor size (6sq.)
    2) Hole size.
    3) Do I have a suitable crimper?
    4) Am I sufficiently competent?

the new cooker is likely to be an Electrolux one if that makes any difference.
    No :)

• Advertisement
Advertisement