Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is not having 4G a big deal for a data user?

Options
  • 22-11-2016 6:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭

I'm looking into getting an Iphone 6s or 7 and am wondering is 4g a neccessity for someone who uses data a fair bit outside of home- but generally in west of Ireland. The best deal I have found is on Tesco, however they get rather bad reviews because they have no 4g, and are not intending on getting it. Will be going to college before the contract is up, so don't want to be stuck with a phone that has crap data. Looking at approx 100 more on any other network over the 24months.
    Thanks,
    Roisin

Comments

• Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 11,118 Mod ✭✭✭✭MarkR

Good 3G isn't bad. Make sure you go for 30 day contracts and start experimenting. How west are we talking? :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,157 ✭✭✭srsly78

Well if there is no 4g coverage where you live/work then it doesn't matter at all.

The best deal is to get a sim from someone like lycamobile then use it with whatever phone you want. e300 can get you a high-end phone.

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭roisiny

MarkR wrote: »
    Good 3G isn't bad. Make sure you go for 30 day contracts and start experimenting. How west are we talking? :-)
    Not super wesht... The Sligo/Mayo border, just seems like middle of no-where sometimes!
    srsly78 wrote: »
    Well if there is no 4g coverage where you live/work then it doesn't matter at all.

The best deal is to get a sim from someone like lycamobile then use it with whatever phone you want. e300 can get you a high-end phone.

Will hopefully be going to college in Dublin however! Will check out that company, never occured to me that I could do that as have always just done billpay or paid €20 a month to get free texts. Thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Dont buy an iphone 6, get a 5 or 7 for the moment. 6 has two major flaws currently hammering users.

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭roisiny

ED E wrote: »
    Dont buy an iphone 6, get a 5 or 7 for the moment. 6 has two major flaws currently hammering users.

What are they? The bending and the battery stopping? All I've heard is bad stuff about the 7, and 5 is way too small personally. Last phone I had was the Sony Xperia z3 this time 2 years ago which was great except for awful front facing camera, which seems to be signature for every Android (though an awful vain reason to be put off a phone..)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

roisiny wrote: »
    What are they? The bending and the battery stopping? All I've heard is bad stuff about the 7, and 5 is way too small personally. Last phone I had was the Sony Xperia z3 this time 2 years ago which was great except for awful front facing camera, which seems to be signature for every Android (though an awful vain reason to be put off a phone..)

You want a One Plus 3T. 16Mp front and back! Best selfie machine going by a country mile.

Yeah, the battery Apple seem to be handling ok but the "touch disease" they're telling customers to stuff it if they're a day outside warranty (most are seeing it at 13-4 months).

• Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 11,118 Mod ✭✭✭✭MarkR

ED E wrote: »
    You want a One Plus 3T. 16Mp front and back! Best selfie machine going by a country mile.

Yeah, the battery Apple seem to be handling ok but the "touch disease" they're telling customers to stuff it if they're a day outside warranty (most are seeing it at 13-4 months).

3T not available in Europe until next week I think. I've the 3, which is great. Definitely check it out.

Advertisement