Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Supposed Terrorist Links. Need Change Now

Options
  • 22-11-2016 7:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8,034 ✭✭✭

I run a web design company and while I have no training in anything of the sort, I somehow manage to get by with a bit of outsourcing. An arm of the business is in the Fast Food Online Ordering sector. The general setup is:

*I build a website for a takeaway business and build a menu using a PHP software script I licensed and modified.
    * I purchase GPRS, Wi-Fi printers from china (like the ones Just-Eat use) to place in the takeaway in order to receive orders placed through the website.
    * I use the NONAME companys software for the printers to receive and print the orders. I also pay a small monthly fee for each printer to remain registered with the company, which allows me to track orders and see if the printers are active and if orders are going through.

I was having an issue with one of the printers and came across an article that the NONAME company was involved in money laundering for ISIS and the person I usually chat to online was apparently arrested and questioned in relation to the money laundering. A previous owner director was killed in a US drone attack in Syria. Now, maybe I am getting this wrong, but coming across this has made me want to cut all ties with the company in question, but I need an alternative for my clients and wish not to give another cent to a company which has, or has had connections with a terrorist organisation.

I am unable to find competitors in the market and my search for an alternative is what landed me on a news website, which had reported what I am writing here. The company was named, as well as the person I converse with when I need online support. A second name was given of another person I previously conversed with,making the story that much more real and connected.

I hope I am wrong, but don't want to take the risk. Help is very much appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 498 ✭✭mrawkward

Has their support level decreased recently? if not stay cool and keep the show on the road but line up an alternative pronto, if you can. It is virtually impossible that they are the solo players in this space, so root out the others! Pronto!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,108 ✭✭✭pedroeibar1

goz83 wrote: »
    I run a web design ......
    I hope I am wrong, but don't want to take the risk. Help is very much appreciated.

If I read you correctly the original company changed hands so the new owners could be legit. and suffering by 'name' association. Secondly, the ‘new’ owner was taken in for questioning…was he charged? How responsible is the news source? Has the story been carried by main agencies such as AP, AFP, Reuters, etc.?

Every business should have a disaster recovery plan, that’s exactly what you are looking at.

I would continue looking hard for an alternative supplier. Even if untrue, your business could be tainted and you could find yourself – while innocent – spending (i.e. wasting) inordinate amounts of time with investigators. I would also have the IT system ‘swept’ for viruses/bugs/whatever – a terrorist organisation gets its cash from cybercrime and/or blackmail and if they have planted something inside your system it is just a matter of time……
    Hopefully Blacknight will be along to supplement what I’ve written.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,034 ✭✭✭goz83

mrawkward wrote: »
    Has their support level decreased recently? if not stay cool and keep the show on the road but line up an alternative pronto, if you can. It is virtually impossible that they are the solo players in this space, so root out the others! Pronto!

Support has never been great beyond the purchase point, especially when they failed to deliver on the product side and I sourced elsewhere.
    If I read you correctly the original company changed hands so the new owners could be legit. and suffering by 'name' association. Secondly, the ‘new’ owner was taken in for questioning…was he charged? How responsible is the news source? Has the story been carried by main agencies such as AP, AFP, Reuters, etc.?

Every business should have a disaster recovery plan, that’s exactly what you are looking at.

I would continue looking hard for an alternative supplier. Even if untrue, your business could be tainted and you could find yourself – while innocent – spending (i.e. wasting) inordinate amounts of time with investigators. I would also have the IT system ‘swept’ for viruses/bugs/whatever – a terrorist organisation gets its cash from cybercrime and/or blackmail and if they have planted something inside your system it is just a matter of time……
    Hopefully Blacknight will be along to supplement what I’ve written.

The business remains with the same owner, or atleast one of them. With my limited experience and understanding in the area, it is difficult to find an alternative provider. I am sure there are many, it's just that there was a client need and somehow this all fell into place and we got an ordering system working.

There haven't been any suspicions of any fraudulent elements outside of the money laundering connection, but that alone is a major concern to me and an alternative is needed.

The news sources were a couple of national UK newspapers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,108 ✭✭✭pedroeibar1

Support has never been great beyond the purchase point, especially when they failed to deliver on the product side and I sourced elsewhere.

.... it's just that ....... somehow this all fell into place and we got an ordering system working..
    .....somehow manage to get by with a bit of outsourcing
    I know it hurts & it’s late in the day to be saying it, but TBH Goz, what were you thinking? They screwed up, things "fell" into place, you "got by" and you let it drift? In online service delivery there is no leeway.

Cybercrime and AML are the two biggest corporate governance issues today – not just in regulated industry, but everywhere. Survey after survey show it …….

When an integral part of my product depended on a service (ordered & delivered online) I always had two suppliers, the larger selected on the basis of cost/performance and a smaller one (about 25-30% of volume) there to provide a benchmark against which I could measure the prices/performances. And I did, and I had no hesitation in changing if the improvements were not there. Not sure how feasible this is for you, but you need to consider something like this for the future, because you are providing a service for others whose businesses depend on you; so you're probably wide open to having them put your a$$ in the proverbial sling if you fail. I've made my point(s) and I cannot help with a replacement name, so I'll butt out. Best of luck getting out of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,447 ✭✭✭davindub

it doesn't sound that complex, have you tried getting a quote on making your own system?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,034 ✭✭✭goz83

davindub wrote: »
    it doesn't sound that complex, have you tried getting a quote on making your own system?

No. TBH, I wouldn't know where to look. I don't understand the system very well. I'm open to suggestions though. I have tried to google "NONAME competitors" but all I am finding are full, expensive solutions, rather than the bit I need. I have the websites covered and I have the hardware (printers) covered. I have the online menu script, which I install onto the each website, but I don't have an alternative to have the orders sent to.

New software would be needed for the machines, or the original supplier software could be used. The script supplier would charge me to integrate the script with the new printer software, but that would be a small price to pay.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,447 ✭✭✭davindub

No. TBH, I wouldn't know where to look. I don't understand the system very well. I'm open to suggestions though. I have tried to google "NONAME competitors" but all I am finding are full, expensive solutions, rather than the bit I need. I have the websites covered and I have the hardware (printers) covered. I have the online menu script, which I install onto the each website, but I don't have an alternative to have the orders sent to.

New software would be needed for the machines, or the original supplier software could be used. The script supplier would charge me to integrate the script with the new printer software, but that would be a small price to pay.

Try www.upwork.com or any of the Irish developers. You would be better with someone local who can examine the printers, I'd imagine they are fixed IP and can receive incoming transmission or check themselves every few minutes.

Just describe what you have ie. website to take orders, WIFI printers you want a connection between the two.

But just be aware, you need some security as well so I can't visit and place a load of orders, etc.

Advertisement