Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

"Cyclist sexually assaulted unconscious woman on hotel couch"

Options
  • 22-11-2016 7:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 13,779 ✭✭✭✭

Just happened upon this article in one of those random ads that appear on sites like Yahoo.

Title in the ad was "Cyclist sexually assaulted unconscious woman..." (title of the article is slightly different, but the url shows the intended title)

http://www.sundayworld.com/news/courts/cyclist-sexually-assaulted-unconscious-woman-on-hotel-couch

Of course then reading the article, the fact the guy is a "member of a cycling club" is incidental and has absolutely no bearing on what happened.

They could easily have just said "Man that wears shoes sexually assaulted unconscious woman...".

Being the Sunday World - the bible for Joe Duffy callers - is it any wonder why inflammatory rhetoric like this results in close overtakes and general aggression towards cyclists?

Now we're all rapists apparently.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,388 ✭✭✭✭Jayop

Ah but was he in a shoe club?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,779 ✭✭✭✭mrcheez

• Registered Users Posts: 2,270 ✭✭✭Chiparus

• Registered Users Posts: 14,336 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

I heard hitler was a cyclist.
    And pontius pilate.

Was he wearing the cycling shorts?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,990 ✭✭✭68 lost souls

I was as shocked but read in another source they were on a club weekend away and the person that reported him was a club mate so it makes a bit more sense but still ridiculous. How many murders or rapists could we say "motorists charged with..."

http://www.stickybottle.com/latest-news/irish-cyclist-jailed-for-sexual-assault-after-disgusted-club-mate-went-to-gardai/

Next we'll hear of cyclists not giving up their seats to motorists on buses

• Registered Users Posts: 749 ✭✭✭Arthurdaly

Sounds like a cycling club away for the weekend in the hotel, ie relevant to the story.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,667 Mod ✭✭✭✭RobFowl

The cyclist bit was unnecessary but this involves a woman who was sexually assaulted.
    I don't think this is something we should joke about.

• Registered Users Posts: 424 ✭✭SimonLynch

RobFowl wrote: »
    The cyclist bit was unnecessary but this involves a woman who was sexually assaulted.

To be honest, read the piece and thought 'what an utter scumbag piece of ****, hope he has a ragged time inside' The cycling bit didn't even register with me, more the thoughts of the poor girl and how he got away with even the appealed sentence. FFS turning it into a cycling-related post :mad:

• Advertisement

SimonLynch wrote: »
    FFS turning it into a cycling-related article

fyp, hence the reason for the post

• Registered Users Posts: 5,762 ✭✭✭jive

RobFowl wrote: »

Nobody joked about the assault to be fair. Questioning the relevance of him being a cyclist.

If it was someone up the country for an art exhibition I don't see the headline reading 'art enthusiast sexually assaults woman'.

Honestly, who cares. It's online media, they will literally do anything for a few extra clicks. Making a thread about it only perpetuates the problem, if you can call it that.

• Registered Users Posts: 424 ✭✭SimonLynch

You don't stop do you? Plonker

jive wrote: »
    If it was someone up the country for an art exhibition I don't see the headline reading 'art enthusiast sexually assaults woman'.

they will literally do anything for a few extra clicks.

So you're saying using "Cyclist did X..." instead of "Art Enthusiast did X..." will result in more clicks?

• Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭JohnDx

Not surprised it was a cyclist, they are all dodgy if ya ask me.

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,477 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

This has already been covered in the off-topic thread and a dedicated thread probably does not belong in this forum, and also can encourage generic comments like the one above. Thread closed

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement