Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Studio Costs

• 22-11-2016 7:29pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 91 ✭✭

Hey All,

A friend of mine has around 10 songs that she'd like to record in a studio.

It's a viable project as she's very good as are the songs.

My questions are:

1) very roughly how much would it costs to record these songs in a studio setting (I relaise that this is like asking how long is a piece of string but the questions you guys (and gals) ask could be could questions for her.

2) Do you have any tips for recording in the studio? my advice was to demo the heck out of the songs so that she is happy with every little thing before going into the studio so as not to waste any time.

TIA

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,115 ✭✭✭✭Nervous Wreck

Studio costs obviously vary. I always use The Hive studios in Kilcoole. Unreal value.

Yes, demo/practice the shît out of the songs. If there's any little bits she's unsure of going in, she hasn't practiced the song enough. Record everything to a click track, even if she doesn't think she needs to.

For maximum impact, practice everything with a metronome before going near the studio. Have the preferred tempo practiced and noted before going in. That will seriously cut down on time/faffing about. Being able to say to the engineer "this song needs a metronome at 120bpm" and being comfortable at that tempo for that song will make a world of difference.

Have every song mapped out on paper first. E.g. "Song One - drums, guitar, keys, bass, vocal 1, vocal 2" etc. The amount of time that gets wasted by going back to a song you'd thought was finished because you forgot to add the glockenspiel part....

That's a start anyway...

Advertisement