Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Help: Landlord/housemate TV license issue

Options
  • 22-11-2016 7:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8

Hi there,

I'm looking for some advice on an issue I'm having at the moment.

I'm a mature student studying in Dublin and have been renting a house here since September. The conditions were not the best but the rent was cheap.

Three months in and I'v given my months notice (as required by contract) due to difficulties of living with my landlord.

The problem I'm having is he has approached me about the TV license and has said I have to go half's on it with him.

The issue is that:

A) I'v never looked at a TV in the house. (There is a TV in his room and also one in the sitting room which I'v never sat in as he is always in there watching TV until 10pm. When he is done in there he goes upstairs to his bedroom where he watches TV till late. Some nights even 2am and has the volume up super loud.

B) I'll have only lived there 4 months. Should I really be expected to pay the years bill as well?

When I confronted him about it he said it also includes laptops and phones, I have a laptop so should have to pay. (which is a lie as I just looked it up)

Does anyone know where I lie legally?

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,157 ✭✭✭srsly78

It does not apply to laptops/phones. They talked about changing the law but this didn't happen as far as I know. Just tell him to fook off.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 22,384 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

If your agreement outlines a portion of the bills then this qualifies. I would only be paying the portion that is due for the time I lived there.
    Was there a deposit paid?

• Registered Users Posts: 8 Marko90

Yes I paid a deposit. It outlines in the lease that I pay towards, electricity and gas which I have been doing so and never been late on.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 22,384 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

The fear is that if you don't pay he will just deduct it from your deposit. I am assuming you are a licensee so cannot bring a case to the PRTB so realistically if push comes to shove are you willing to go through the courts?

• Registered Users Posts: 37,301 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Marko90 wrote: »
    have been renting a house here since September. The conditions were not the best but the rent was cheap.

Three months in and I'v given my months notice (as required by contract) due to difficulties of living with my landlord.
    Sounds like you are a licensee?

• Advertisement

by licensee do you mean is my name on the license ? If so then no! Its in the landlords/housemates name

Just read up on what a licencee is . Didnt know there was different rights. My bad. Ill go read up on that now

• Closed Accounts Posts: 603 ✭✭✭_Jamie_

I guess the thing is that you could watch TV. You choose not to, but you could. Unless you're always in bed before 10pm and that doesn't seem too likely.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,622 ✭✭✭Baby01032012

Marko90 wrote: »
    Just read up on what a licencee is . Didnt know there was different rights. My bad. Ill go read up on that now

Yes as the licensee you have no rights. You're not a tenant and cannot not avail of tenancy law. He can kick you out at any stage without notice, likewise you can up and leave if you wish.

• Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭infor123

Pawwed Rig wrote: »
    The fear is that if you don't pay he will just deduct it from your deposit. I am assuming you are a licensee so cannot bring a case to the PRTB so realistically if push comes to shove are you willing to go through the courts?

Hi OP, I had a similar issue a few years back and didn't know my rights properly at the time. I lived with a total weirdo and left like you are after 4 months. She deducted TV Licence and the price of new cutlery from my deposit as she blamed me for loosing 1 spoon!!!! As he seemed to have OCD she needed to have a full set and therefore had to buy new ones. I tried fighting her but to be honest I was just glad that I could get away. Sometimes you just have to cut your losses and get away from these situations. Owner occupied is always a hard one to sort out....you never feel like it's your house, you always feel like a guest.

• Advertisement

Yes as the licensee you have no rights. You're not a tenant and cannot not avail of tenancy law. He can kick you out at any stage without notice, likewise you can up and leave if you wish.

Suppose you could threaten to contact the PRTB or tell him what you think your rights should be and chances are he might not know!!! Get someone to be there with you the day you are leaving also so that you have back up and your not intimidated in HIS territory.

• Registered Users Posts: 230 ✭✭surrender monkey

I used to rent out rooms in my house and I never asked for a portion of the TV licence. Gas, electric, tv and broadband were the bills I changed for but I wouldn't consider the TV licence a standard utility bill.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,277 ✭✭✭Cheshire Cat

The TV licence is €160 pa. You were there for 4 months, so the most he can charge you is 50% of 1/3" i.e. €26.66
    He can try to get the a share for the remaining 8 months off his next lodger.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,002 ✭✭✭dev100

When is the license up ? If it's not up till now . I wouldn't pay it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,601 ✭✭✭cerastes

infor123 wrote: »
    Hi OP, I had a similar issue a few years back and didn't know my rights properly at the time. I lived with a total weirdo and left like you are after 4 months. She deducted TV Licence and the price of new cutlery from my deposit as she blamed me for loosing 1 spoon!!!! As he seemed to have OCD she needed to have a full set and therefore had to buy new ones. I tried fighting her but to be honest I was just glad that I could get away. Sometimes you just have to cut your losses and get away from these situations. Owner occupied is always a hard one to sort out....you never feel like it's your house, you always feel like a guest.
    It's isn't your house and yes you are essentially a guest.
    Suppose you could threaten to contact the PRTB or tell him what you think your rights should be and chances are he might not know!!! Get someone to be there with you the day you are leaving also so that you have back up and your not intimidated in HIS territory.

Prtb isn't relevant, neither would the owner be under any obligation to allow anyone else to turn up and enter their house, seems they'd be justified in getting the portion for the op staying there and as someone worked out at 26 odd euro not too unreasonable.

Sounds like something my landlord would do.

I think your right on this one . Iv looked into it and theres not much I can do . The fact that he holds 300 euro of my money is extremely fustrating .
    I lived with a landlord a few years ago and it was great, but he was just a super nice person .
    This time I wasnt so lucky.

I approached him and told him id pay for the months Im here . Hes saying I have to pay for whole thing.
    I honestly cant see any logic as to why I would have to pay for all the months I wont be there .

<mod snip: suggested vandalism is not acceptable on this forum>

cerastes wrote: »
    It's isn't your house and yes you are essentially a guest.

When you are paying rent you should feel free to live comfortably in the house!! You ARE NOT a guest! I presume you are owner of a house and have never had an issue like this or perhaps you are renting a room to someone in your house?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,601 ✭✭✭cerastes

You said,
    When you are paying rent you should feel free to live comfortably in the house!! You ARE NOT a guest! I presume you are owner of a house and have never had an issue like this or perhaps you are renting a room to someone in your house?
    [/I]
    Feeling free to live comfortably in a place you rent a room is different to what you said earlier which was "You never feel like it's your house, you always feel like a guest."
    To which I accurately answered, it isn't your house and legally you are essentially a guest,

That's not to say you can't be a licensee or rent rooms out and get on well with someone, as likely someone won't get on with other renting housemates or a landlord.
    Also, you seem quite irate, seems you are the one with an issue with it!

Advertisement