Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Apartment mould

Options
  • 22-11-2016 7:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,599 ✭✭✭

This post has been deleted.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,990 ✭✭✭68 lost souls

Clean isn't the only issue it could be air flow, there could also be dampness somewhere. Check the vents aren't blocked, are you renting or do you own?

White vinegar does a great job of killing mould. Probably better than bleach as it kills it rather than removing it.

It should be looked into, don't mean to alarm you but what you see on the surface could be much much worse behind the plaster

If youre producing steam, from showers or cooking, make sure the house is well ventilated and properly heated. This is by far the most usual cause of mould.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,420 ✭✭✭✭athtrasna

Do a search on this forum, mould comes up very frequently

• Registered Users Posts: 26,398 ✭✭✭✭noodler

OP.

HG mould spray.

Hardware store on capel street has it, ten euro a bottle.

It works absolute wonders. Cannot emphasise this enough. Stuff disappears on front ofnyour eyes after a spray.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,599 ✭✭✭sashafierce

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,905 ✭✭✭✭Bob24

I haven't used the HG one so can't compare efficiency, but this wone works pretty well and is safe enough for the walls (some sprays are only suitable for tiles are non-fragile surfaces): http://www.mouldx.com/mouldx_remover_chlorine_free.html

Having said that you can't only rely on those spays. They will kill the mould and fix the issue for some time, but if the underlying issue is not addressed the mould will come back eventually.

This could either be due to an issue with the buildign (water infiltration in the walls for example) or to something you do (making the place very humid without ventilating it properly).

I first indicator to know if it is you are the building is to know if it is also coming at the same place and very concentrated there. If yes it would tend to indicate some kind of water leak.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,612 ✭✭✭Dardania

does the shower have an extract fan?
    and does the bedroom have a vent that's open all the time?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,379 ✭✭✭newacc2015

HG mould spray is amazing. It actually kills the mould spores, where as bleach and vinegar will only clean. The only problem with HG is that chemicals in it can react with some pigments in paint

IMO your best option is a dehumidifier. A decent one is about £150 off amazon uk. I know it seems like a large purchase but it will actually solve your issue and is really good at drying clothes on a clothes horse

• Registered Users Posts: 20,059 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

At night, the temperature in most buildings drops. In a bedroom, with a couple of people sleeping, they are exhaling about 4% water by volume. Basically you breath out hot humid air. The moisture in the air will condense on any cold surfaces, so I would guess that wall may be rather cold - assuming the problem isn't moisture coming from elsewhere.

Assuming the problem isn't dampness from some other source, I would suggest getting a dehumidifier and running it in the bedroom for several hours after you get up. That should dry the room out. You can also use it to dry washing in a closed room at a lower energy cost than using a tumble dryer.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26,398 ✭✭✭✭noodler

noodler wrote: »
    OP.

HG mould spray.

Hardware store on capel street has it, ten euro a bottle.

It works absolute wonders. Cannot emphasise this enough. Stuff disappears on front ofnyour eyes after a spray.

Theres also a hardware store on Pembroke St Lower that sells it just FYI.

As other say, it is reccommend to test it on a small surface first in case of stains but I have never actually experienced any discolouring.

It also burns - wear gloves.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,905 ✭✭✭✭Bob24

noodler wrote: »
    It also burns - wear gloves.

Good point - I would also recommend wearing protective goggles and a respirator when applying those sprays. They are full of chemicals you don't really want in your eyes or in your lungs. Also try to do it in the morning and leave the window open for the rest of the day, sleeping in the bedroom just after applying them is probably not a great idea.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

You can pick up a dettol mould and mildew spray in most super markets now for around €6 if you can't make it to a hardware ,

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,951 ✭✭✭SB_Part2

Gatling wrote: »
    You can pick up a dettol mould and mildew spray in most super markets now for around €6 if you can't make it to a hardware ,

I've used this before and it worked really well.

Do you dry clothes in your room OP?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,735 ✭✭✭dar100

My downstairs bathroom has a pasta like mould growing around the tiles, at different points!! Also the wall seems to be damp with a crystal like white markings!! The bathroom is extremely cold, don't think the tiles on the ground were properly sealed, I have blocked the vent up, oh and it's the room where my central heating boiler is!! Any thoughts on what it is?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,342 ✭✭✭seagull

Blocking up the vent means that any moisture in that room will not be able to go anywhere, and adds to the problem. Instead of just a cold room, you now have a cold damp room.

dar100 wrote: »
    My downstairs bathroom has a pasta like mould growing around the tiles, at different points!! Also the wall seems to be damp with a crystal like white markings!! The bathroom is extremely cold, don't think the tiles on the ground were properly sealed, I have blocked the vent up, oh and it's the room where my central heating boiler is!! Any thoughts on what it is?
    seagull wrote: »
    Blocking up the vent means that any moisture in that room will not be able to go anywhere, and adds to the problem. Instead of just a cold room, you now have a cold damp room.

And potentially a carbon monoxide problem.
    Bad, bad idea - Darwin award territory

I know it's not pleasant having an open vent in a bathroom. Ours is over the shower, so there's the delights of the occasional cold draft hitting in the time between turning off the water and getting a towel. I'm still not going to block it up. Do you typically leave your bathroom door closed when it's not in use? If you do, it's going to make the situation even worse.

Do you have an extractor fan in your bathroom? Ours stopped working recently. It took me a little while to sort it out, and I was surprised just how big a difference it actually makes.

• Advertisement

At the very least, start using the extractor fan. I'd recommend you also get the heater sorted out.

Seems to be a few things you can work on, use the vents, the extractor fan and the heater if possible.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,059 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

A dehumidifier, if affordable, would give you a room that's both warm and dry.

I don't think having an open vent in a bedroom in winter is a practical solution the place will be absolutely freezing. Maybe open a window a little during the day but I've the vents closed as you are just burning money having heating on and it all flying out the vent. We have no mould problems btw. In fact I don't even recall having vents in bedrooms in previous houses or at home.

I don't think having an open vent in a bedroom in winter is a practical solution the place will be absolutely freezing. Maybe open a window a little during the day but I've the vents closed as you are just burning money having heating on and it all flying out the vent. We have no mould problems btw. In fact I don't even recall having vents in bedrooms in previous houses or at home.

Common misconception
    The Irish building regulations require vents in most if not all rooms - generally 100mm diameter
    http://www.housing.gov.ie/housing/building-standards/tgd-part-f-ventilation/technical-guidance-document-f-ventilation

A lot of people have no memory of vents from years ago because poor construction techniques (leaky unsealed windows, chimneys etc) meant they weren't required.
    But now that more airtight homes are being built since the late 90s, and as proper windows are being fitted to older properties, ventilation issues come up. Particularly if the walls aren't particularly well insulated - thy get cold enough that any moisture in the air condenses on them.

The general solution, that has been told to OP multiple times in this thread, is add heat and move air.
    Same principle how one defogs and keeps defogged a car windscreen.

How I handle the problem that OP has of the cold air in the bathroom is I have vents in the bedrooms with the Rads keeping the temp nice, and the extract fan in the bathroom running. That way, the air coming into the bathroom is of a more comfortable temp.

My home has an open vent in all bedrooms and living areas. It's not freezing.

Augeo wrote: »
    My home has an open vent in all bedrooms and living areas. It's not freezing.

What are your heating bills like?

I am not in the habit of having heating running any more than is necessary and I found that closing the vent in the bedroom and living room leaves the rooms much warmer when I come in in the evening when the heating hasn't been on all day than having them open. Also these are only very small vents which are part of the window, there are no vents in the wall.

As I said never had bedroom with any type of vent before the house I have now and never had a mould problem.

What are your heating bills like?..............

Not bad, I have gas heating (old boiler), under €60/month in winter. It's a 2 bed flat, not badly insulated, approx 15/16 years old maybe.
    It's an end of terrace too so only one wall is attached to neighbours and that's the wall with hall and spare room.

Living room, kitchen and master bedroom are at the gable end (if gable is applicable to end of terrace)

I got home last night at 9pm, -1degC and the heating had been on from 8 to 9pm, lovely and toasty. Wasn't on than anymore.

I have the largish wall vents. Can't close them unless you block them.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,601 ✭✭✭cerastes

At the moment I'm looking for a fan which can be wired to a switch but is also wired in parallel so it can be powered and switch itself on if it senses humidity?
    Any particular brands, places to buy or websites?

Advertisement