Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Apartment mould

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 20,059 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

cerastes wrote: »
    At the moment I'm looking for a fan which can be wired to a switch but is also wired in parallel so it can be powered and switch itself on if it senses humidity?
    Any particular brands, places to buy or websites?

You could have a look here: https://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/tcl/search?query=humidstat&Submit=Search

I have 2 Manrose humidistat controlled extractor fans. They work well, but If they failed, I would look to replace them with another brand as they are a bit noisy due to the casing being badly designed and prone to vibrating.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,443 ✭✭✭sondagefaux

Mould within apartments and houses is almost always caused by lack of ventilation. Open windows and keep them open (even keeping them open a small crack will do), make sure air vents are clear, get extractor fans installed in bathrooms, kitchens etc. If the problem persists get more and better ventilation.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,687 ✭✭✭blacklilly

Also worth noting that many people have their extractor fan set to run for a period of 2 minutes. It should run for a minimum of 20 minutes after you shower.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,601 ✭✭✭cerastes

cnocbui wrote: »
    You could have a look here: https://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/tcl/search?query=humidstat&Submit=Search

I have 2 Manrose humidistat controlled extractor fans. They work well, but If they failed, I would look to replace them with another brand as they are a bit noisy due to the casing being badly designed and prone to vibrating.

Noise is a concern, I prefer if they can be quieter, the bathroom is a long run in ducting to the soffit. Im not sure if there is enough power in a standard size extractor fan to vent moisture as there is no openable window in the bathroom.

I did think of even having a humidity controlled extractor fan and have it wired so it powers a bigger duct fan that does the main work to expel moisture laden air from the bathroom and ducting.

blacklilly wrote: »
    Also worth noting that many people have their extractor fan set to run for a period of 2 minutes. It should run for a minimum of 20 minutes after you shower.

The problem here is that a lot of people have linked the extractor fans to the lighting circuit. This means that it comes on when people visit the bathroom for other reasons, and especially at night causes unwanted noise. Thus fan times tend to get set to the minimum. 
    A good solution is to link the fan to an adjustable timer switch which can be put on during and which will continue after the shower. The noise then won't annoy anybody.

• Advertisement

The problem here is that a lot of people have linked the extractor fans to the lighting circuit. This means that it comes on when people visit the bathroom for other reasons, and especially at night causes unwanted noise. Thus fan times tend to get set to the minimum. 
    A good solution is to link the fan to an adjustable timer switch which can be put on during and which will continue after the shower. The noise then won't annoy anybody.

I think that's what humidity controlled fans do really, connected to the lighting circuit but only switching on if there is humidity, ive considered a fan connected to power via a contactor or relay that's connected to the electric shower, but it's not applicable if the shower isn't electric or if the lighting isn't required, in which case you'd need a permanently wired fan switched by humidity sensors alone.

cerastes wrote: »
    Noise is a concern, I prefer if they can be quieter, the bathroom is a long run in ducting to the soffit. Im not sure if there is enough power in a standard size extractor fan to vent moisture as there is no openable window in the bathroom.

I did think of even having a humidity controlled extractor fan and have it wired so it powers a bigger duct fan that does the main work to expel moisture laden air from the bathroom and ducting.

Doesn't the bathroom have an external wall or existing vent?

My fans are always on and only controlled by the humidity, which can be a nuisance on a few nights of the year in summer as the general humidity gets to be enough that when they aree triggder by showering they can remain on for quite a while. Ideally replacing the light switch with a double and wiring the fan to the second switch so it could be turned off would have been better but there wasn't room in the conduit for more wires.

cnocbui wrote: »
    Doesn't the bathroom have an external wall or existing vent?

My fans are always on and only controlled by the humidity, which can be a nuisance on a few nights of the year in summer as the general humidity gets to be enough that when they aree triggder by showering they can remain on for quite a while. Ideally replacing the light switch with a double and wiring the fan to the second switch so it could be turned off would have been better but there wasn't room in the conduit for more wires.

It has an existing vent and its own switch, but it relies on being turned on, which it isn't always,i was thinking a humidity controlled fan but now I'm thinking one that comes on with the light and is time controlled

I mounted mine in place of the internal vent covers and chased the walls to the loft with a channel for the cables, so no need for ducting runs through the loft.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,271 ✭✭✭banchang

Is it a requirement of building regs to have a vent ?

I have a one bed apartment with windows in both bedroom & living room but no vents to outside at all in the property - the only means of ventilation is to open sash windows by a couple of cm at the top.

Have humidity & mould problem on the windows.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,599 ✭✭✭sashafierce

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,339 ✭✭✭How Strange

I haven't read through all the posts but in our apartment I used to put the heating on very low at regular intervals from October to April. This kept the room temperature stable so it never got too cold. It was electric heating but had minimal effect on our electricity bill. We used a dehumidifier everyday during these months and I also cleared off any condensation on the windows every day. This kept mould away for 2 winters. Clear any mould away with bleach as soon as you see it. Apart from that it's a landlord issue. Once you're being careful about moisture, coldness and humidity so essentially lifestyle adjustments then it is something I'd raise with the landlord. We had to get our builder back to do structural work several times before it was fully resolved.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,398 ✭✭✭✭noodler

I think this is OTT.

I live in a reasonably well ventilated place but I still open the windowns in the morning before I shower and don't close until I leave.

I also try to open a bit more frequently if there are clothes drying for obvious reasons.

Leaving windows open while at work.

Security would be number one.

Second thing would be that it is cold in Ireland for 3/4 monthes of the year.

I thought this would be relatively obvious?

I am all for decent ventilation but it is absolutely not necessary to leave your windows open all day.

Advertisement