Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Owning a car in in a large city

• 22-11-2016 8:21pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 331 ✭✭

Any point? Regarding all day congestions I would assume that getting anywhere with a bicycle is much quicker and cheaper.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,347 ✭✭✭Rackstar

No, close thread please.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,762 ✭✭✭jive

I can only echo what Rackstar has recommended.

As an alternative, buy a bicycle and a camera, make a youtube account and entertain us all. We'll be waiting.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 331 ✭✭Johnboner

Rackstar wrote: »
    No, close thread please.

Why do you want to close this thread? Did this thread offend you? I use my bicycle daily and obviously with a camera otherwise I would be compromising my safety, in case someone decides to hit me. My friend the other day got hit by a mercedes and got various injuries around his body, he didn't have a camera to prove it. Camera with a bicycle is almost essential given the dangers of riding a bicycle in the city.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 184 ✭✭kavanada

Really, what do you want us to say, OP?

Is this going to turn into a decent, informative thread about the pro's and con's of car ownership, the M50, Dublin Bus, gocar, cycle lanes, etc?

I own a car. It costs a fortune for what I get in return from it. But I wouldn't give it up (just yet).

Welcome to boards, btw! Nice first post:-).

kavanada wrote: »
    Really, what do you want us to say, OP?

Is this going to turn into a decent, informative thread about the pro's and con's of car ownership, the M50, Dublin Bus, gocar, cycle lanes, etc?

I own a car. It costs a fortune for what I get in return from it. But I wouldn't give it up (just yet).

Welcome to boards, btw! Nice first post:-).

Just noticing the traffic at stand still everytime I leave my work and pass them on my bicycle. No matter what time I leave to go to my work or come back, there is always traffic at a stand still. So just wondering why people even bother owning cars. It takes me 15 min with a bicycle and it takes 30 min with a car to cover the same distance, so my question is why is there so many cars in Dublin?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,387 ✭✭✭D0NNELLY

depends on where you live.. Dublins a big place.. also, you're using the push bike for commuting, so obviosult the roads will be busy. If you have a car, you'll also be using it for getting out and about when outside working (busy roads) hours..

Camera hardly adds to your safety.. hit by a car on a push bike will have the same affect with or without.

Oh OP, come on! You must be single, no kids, mid-20's, living and working in Dublin or something close to the above?

A significant percentage of those single occupancy cars are parents driving from the office in Dublin, out to Sutton to pick up the kids from grannies or the crèche then back west towards Blanch or something so as to do it all over again tomorrow at 6:30am.

A bike would never work. Nor would Dublin Bus. Nor the train, GoCar, foot, taxi or donkey. Yes, bikes car zip through a line of traffic at the lights. But you can't do that with two kids and dinner thrown over your back in the rain.

Really, end thread.

D0NNELLY wrote: »
    depends on where you live.. Dublins a big place.. also, you're using the push bike for commuting, so obviosult the roads will be busy. If you have a car, you'll also be using it for getting out and about when outside working (busy roads) hours..

Camera hardly adds to your safety.. hit by a car on a push bike will have the same affect with or without.

The camera will help me to pursue the criminal by having proof of the accident such as a number plate in order to be compensated in an event of an accident if it was due to no fault of my own. I am using a sports bicycle and I fly past most cars standing still, there is literally row of traffic from the street where I live all the way to my work. What is the reasons for so many cars in the city is it because of poor infrastructure?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,387 ✭✭✭D0NNELLY

Johnboner wrote: »
    The camera will help me to pursue the criminal by having proof of the accident such as a number plate in order to be compensated in an event of an accident if it was due to no fault of my own. I am using a sports bicycle and I fly past most cars standing still, there is literally row of traffic from the street where I live all the way to my work.

so nothing to do with safety then

kavanada wrote: »
    Oh OP, come on! You must be single, no kids, mid-20's, living and working in Dublin or something close to the above?

A significant percentage of those single occupancy cars are parents driving from the office in Dublin, out to Sutton to pick up the kids from grannies or the crèche then back west towards Blanch or something so as to do it all over again tomorrow at 6:30am.

A bike would never work. Nor would Dublin Bus. Nor the train, GoCar, foot, taxi or donkey. Yes, bikes car zip through a line of traffic at the lights. But you can't do that with two kids and dinner thrown over your back in the rain.

Really, end thread.

So that means the parents spend most of their day sitting in a a car instead of working as I cannot imagine the amount of time it takes to go to school from an office in the city center to the house and then back.
    As much safety donnely as gosafe safety cameras

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,685 ✭✭✭✭wonski

Sure if you take into account a time it takes to take a shower, change your clothes etc before work then it all makes sense ( apart from catching criminals with your dash cam).

Ireland is not great for cycling to work, weather is one of the main reasons.

They don't spend most of their day in their cars. Maybe 2 hours in, 2 hours out. Or 90 mins in, 90 mins out, I dunno. But 'most' is 12 hours and a minute and they're clearly not doing that.
    Let's not exaggerate.

Life ain't perfect. This crap job in the city these people are going to may open up a door to a better paid one closer to home next year.

We can't all ride bicycles the way you propose. To have to ask the question, kinda means there's no explaining it to you. It's one of those things you should just 'get', like when it rains you get wet. You don't need to know the ins & outs of the water cycle.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,034 ✭✭✭goz83

I'd rather spend a couple of hours per day in a car by driving to work, rather than a lifetime in a wheelchair by risking cycling to work. Not a memory I would like to see on that "safety" camera either.

goz83 wrote: »
    I'd rather spend a couple of hours per day in a car by driving to work, rather than a lifetime in a wheelchair by risking cycling to work. Not a memory I would like to see on that "safety" camera either.

Driving cars is also a risk, so is walking on the street.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,722 ✭✭✭nice_guy80

Cars cause all sorts of issues for hips, back and glute muscles

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,658 ✭✭✭✭For Forks Sake

Or falling off one's high horse, right :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,061 ✭✭✭kirving

...in an event of an accident if it was due to no fault of my own. I am using a sports bicycle and I fly past most cars standing still...

It might not be your FAULT if someone opens a door on you, but best not to fly past traffic as you say.

The camera might prove your case, but compensation is no use when you're injured. When I pass traffic on my bike or in my car, I adjust my speed as necessary rather than do the legal limit as I'm entitled to.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,492 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

Far more people get killed or injured in cars than on bikes.
    [font=Vollkorn,serif]From IrishCycle.com - From the 2006 census, the department of transport said that almost 100,000 people drive 4km or less to work in Dublin and, of those, over 45,000 people drive 2km or less.[/font]
    Many of these journeys are very manageable on a bike.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,032 ✭✭✭colm_c

As has been mentioned before, the need for a car in Dublin depends very much on your demographic.

I didn't own a car (or learn to drive one) until I was 28, was living in Dublin 8 years by then as I hadn't the need of one and to this day I still don't drive it to work, and everytime I do, I can't wait to finish my journey as with traffic, especially recently it's just unpleasant.

My normal, 300 days a year transport is a motorbike. Gets me into work in a predictable 20 mins regardless of traffic.

For weekends away, transporting kids, going for the weekly shop the car is invaluable.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,097 ✭✭✭Roger Mellie Man on the Telly

Any point? Regarding all day congestions I would assume that getting anywhere with a bicycle is much quicker and cheaper.
    The reason to own a car in Dublin (for me anyway) is as a pure luxury. I use it for pleasure almost exclusively - trips away, visiting home in NI, playing golf, football, etc. I also use it for shopping and transporting stuff the odd time.
    For travelling to work in the city I cycle or take the bus if it's raining. I hate being stuck in traffic and paying for parking. As you say, the bicycle is much cheaper and quicker.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,946 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

Cycling forum TBH... this thread seems to only be intended to bait motorists about the "joys" of cycling and how "stupid" they are for sitting in traffic.

For what it's worth tho I'll happily put up with a bit of traffic for the flexibility and comfort the car offers over a pushbike, bus or tram/train!

nice_guy80 wrote: »
    Cars cause all sorts of issues for hips, back and glute muscles

improper seating position and lack of lumbar support in paddy spec-mobiles would be a leading factor. Easily corrected. Same as a crappy seat on a bike will give you piles. The old gel saddle can sort that one out....or a saddle with a donut hole if you're already past the point of no return :pac:
    [font=Vollkorn,serif]From IrishCycle.com - From the 2006 census, the department of transport said that almost 100,000 people drive 4km or less to work in Dublin and, of those, over 45,000 people drive 2km or less.[/font]

Far more people die of lung cancer in the UK than in Leitrim. :rolleyes:

Guessing here that a much greater number of motorists spending a much greater time on the road than cyclists would explain the figure you failed to post from a 10 year old census from a bicycle website.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

You're comparing like with like so how many people get badly injured in their cars in the traffic you're on about?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

OP - as stated, it depends on what you may or may not need a car for.

I work on in Swords and usually cycle - guaranteed journey time of just under an hour and for me, no need to use the car. However, I do take the car on days when the weather is bad (heavy rain, strong winds). So while the car isn't essential it's an alternative I want to have.

I also need to ferry kids to sports events at the weekend where cycling isn't always practical. So I prefer to have the option of both cycling and driving.

Think about what you need a car for before you buy one - why pay for something that expensive if you don't need it? But just having a bicycle isn't always the most practical option either.

Far more people die of lung cancer in the UK than in Leitrim. :rolleyes:

Guessing here that a much greater number of motorists spending a much greater time on the road than cyclists would explain the figure you failed to post from a 10 year old census from a bicycle website.
    I'd be guessing that the vastly greater speed of motor vehicles, vastly greater weight and subsequent momentum of motor vehicles, and the generally crap standards of driving ability just might be factors somewhere alone the line too. But if you want to bury your head in the sand and pretend that many commuting journeys are unsuitable for bikes, be my guest.

I find it strange how some people seem to take any suggestion about bikes over cars as some kind of threat to their value system. It's not about replacing one with the other. But if we keep on relying on cars for vast numbers of short, single-occupancy journeys, we're going to have some fairly significant issues around emissions, obesity and traffic jams to deal with.

OP - Need occasional access to a car does not mean that you have to own a car. Taxis, Go-Cars and rental cars are all available at relatively modest costs, compared to the overall costs of owning and keeping a car.

I'd be guessing that the vastly greater speed of motor vehicles, vastly greater weight and subsequent momentum of motor vehicles, and the generally crap standards of driving ability just might be factors somewhere alone the line too. But if you want to bury your head in the sand and pretend that many commuting journeys are unsuitable for bikes, be my guest.

Indeed, all factors, but that doesn't take any validation from my point, which you seem to suggest with your head in sand comment. If you really believe that, then it is you with your head in the sand.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,833 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

wonski wrote: »
    Ireland is not great for cycling to work, weather is one of the main reasons.

This has been shown to be untrue.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,219 ✭✭✭pablo128

We don't all work in the city centre. In fact I don't even go into the city centre anymore if I can help it, with the crap traffic, suicidal cyclists and expensive parking.

Cycling is a fcuking peasants form of transport anyway. As a sport or pastime, I can accept its merits. As a sole means of transporting yourself? Embarrassing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,685 ✭✭✭✭wonski

ThisRegard wrote: »
    This has been shown to be untrue.

This is true for me, and other people who don't enjoy it.

Each to their own, but the weather is one of the reason why some don't consider it as an option.

I love cycling, but not to and from work when the weather is as it is.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,767 ✭✭✭Pinch Flat

OP depends on what your working and social arrangements are. I own a car but wouldn't dream of driving to work in central dublin, too much hassle and for me a half hour cycle trumps an hour plus in the car. Weather doesn't bother me - well wrapped up on these cold mornings and some quality rain gear for the worst of days. My alternative is to travel by train if the weather is really crap, usually ice or really stormy conditions.

Car is handy for the weekends - so shopping, visiting family down the country. In saying that, I've been known to cycle from my house in dublin to the brothers gaff in oranmore, just for the craic :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,762 ✭✭✭jive

wonski wrote: »
    I love cycling, but not to and from work when the weather is as it is.

It's rained on me twice since the October 1st as a commuter cyclist in Dublin. Maybe if you are in a wetter part of the country it might be an issue, but the weather is ideal for cycling in Ireland. OK, it's not California, but it's relatively mild year-round. The weather excuse doesn't hold any water I'm afraid!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

This is a Motors forum.
    Of course you need a car.

• Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭GustavoGaviria

I live & work in Dublin during the week, I have 2 cars, 1 bicycle, 1 campervan, no kids & 1 dog. I'm adding a third car purely for vanity and burning fuel at the weekends. My commute is 8km total daily, I drive it. I prefer the car be secure at work than outside the house.

I have navigated this city using every available mode of transport and have experienced road rage as a Driver, Cyclist and Pedestrian. Parking at my house involves blocking a bus lane, I experience impatient abuse every evening from Cyclists, Dublin Bus & Taxis.

That any poster here can claim to represent and be spokesman for a entire group of people based on what kinda seat they sit on is just stupid. I cannot be boxed into one group and neither can most posters here. The OP can of course, not as a Cyclist but as a blinkered fool adjusting his story to suit his narrative.

pablo128 wrote: »
    Cycling is a fcuking peasants form of transport anyway. As a sport or pastime, I can accept its merits. As a sole means of transporting yourself? Embarrassing.

By 'sole' - do you assume that most cyclists don't actually have cars? If so, you're fairly wrong.

But on the 'embarrassing' bit, do you really worry much about what other people think about your choice of transport?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,004 ✭✭✭ironclaw

I'd happily cycle or walk to work if I could, but I prefer where I live. Yeah, its 30 mins down the M50 but time it right and you won't sit in traffic. I'm not soaked with sweat when I arrive, I can bring the laptop on the back seat and if my plans change to somewhere distant mid day, I have the abilty to pursue them (And don't have to go home and change, again)

Also, its fairly laughable that Dublin is considered a 'big city' I'd suggest some time in Mexico City or Beijing before making that call. We don't have traffic here, we have a minor time inconvenice. I think my record in Mexico was 2.5 hours to travel 23km, and thats 'normal' Frankly if you are sitting in traffic for more than an hour in Dublin then your route is sub-optimal.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,028 ✭✭✭H3llR4iser

ironclaw wrote: »
    Also, its fairly laughable that Dublin is considered a 'big city' I'd suggest some time in Mexico City or Beijing before making that call. We don't have traffic here, we have a minor time inconvenice. I think my record in Mexico was 2.5 hours to travel 23km, and thats 'normal' Frankly if you are sitting in traffic for more than an hour in Dublin then your route is sub-optimal.

Finally someone who says as it is - there's no such thing as "traffic" in Dublin, and probably anywhere in Ireland, just "slowdowns" and "traffic light queues"; As a matter of fact, if the Council or whomever manages it bothered removing some of the more useless lights and sync'd the rest, the flow could be improved tenfolds.

Keeping a car has costs (which anyway aren't nearly as insane as some suggest, it's mostly the insurance that is quickly becoming an issue), but it opens up possibilities that being exclusively a pedestrian (or cyclist :) ) preclude. You can use public transport if you want to visit a place, but quick normal tasks, like picking up groceries or quickly going to the shops for that thing you miss at home can easily become annoying, expensive or just impossible.

The first three years I lived here, I had no car - worked and lived in Cork city centre, walked everywhere, occasionally used the bus for the longer journey, a taxi to the airport and so on. I didn't realize it, but I was basically living my entire life in a 5 km radius, and for three years knew little or nothing outside of that range; I only figured that out when I changed jobs to a company that was in one of the business parks around the city and I needed to get personal transportation.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,347 ✭✭✭Rackstar

Why do you want to close this thread? Did this thread offend you? I use my bicycle daily and obviously with a camera otherwise I would be compromising my safety, in case someone decides to hit me. My friend the other day got hit by a mercedes and got various injuries around his body, he didn't have a camera to prove it. Camera with a bicycle is almost essential given the dangers of riding a bicycle in the city.

All your original post said was "Any point?" You've since edited it. There was no point to the thread as you hadn't provided any information or circumstances.

Advertisement