Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Changing GP during pregnancy

Options
  • 22-11-2016 9:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 32

Hey looking for a bit of info. I'm on the The Maternity and Infant Care Scheme. I went to my GP for my 28 week check up last week and after all the usual pregnancy related tests - blood, blood pressure, listen to heartbeat, etc. I mentioned that I had a sore throats for the previous week and asked her to take a quick look. I knew it was probably nothing but she said if she was to look or even discuss it with me I would be charged and to just make an appointment to come back if it got worse. Thought this was mad considering it would only take a minute or so and that I was there anyway. I was told it wasn't pregnancy related. Looking back now it's probably from being run down because of the pregnancy. Then when I asked about my next appointment at 30 weeks she said that she wasn't around that week so to skip the appointment. Surely there's a 30 week appointment for a reason!!
    So long story short I'm wondering how easy it is to change doctors during the pregnancy while on this scheme. I'd be grateful for any advice from anyone who might of changed gp during pregnancy. Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,445 ✭✭✭bovril

qwerty88 wrote: »
    Hey looking for a bit of info. I'm on the The Maternity and Infant Care Scheme. I went to my GP for my 28 week check up last week and after all the usual pregnancy related tests - blood, blood pressure, listen to heartbeat, etc. I mentioned that I had a sore throats for the previous week and asked her to take a quick look. I knew it was probably nothing but she said if she was to look or even discuss it with me I would be charged and to just make an appointment to come back if it got worse. Thought this was mad considering it would only take a minute or so and that I was there anyway. I was told it wasn't pregnancy related. Looking back now it's probably from being run down because of the pregnancy. Then when I asked about my next appointment at 30 weeks she said that she wasn't around that week so to skip the appointment. Surely there's a 30 week appointment for a reason!!
    So long story short I'm wondering how easy it is to change doctors during the pregnancy while on this scheme. I'd be grateful for any advice from anyone who might of changed gp during pregnancy. Thanks!

I switched GP during combined care. It should have been easy but it was not for me. Hopefully it will be easier for you. Here's a thread I started asking for advice at the time

http://touch.boards.ie/thread/2057330467

• Registered Users Posts: 2,441 ✭✭✭CheerLouth

I did it on my first pregnancy - GP was a partner in another practice and she decided to go out on her own. It was no problem. They just filled in the form for the Infant Care Scheme in the new practice & I got a letter in the post a few weeks later.

• Registered Users Posts: 32 qwerty88

Thanks guys it was surprisingly easy. Just went to a new gp and filled out a new form for the maternity care and they are sending for my records to be handed over. Thanks for advice!

Advertisement