Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Massey Ferguson 500 series tractors

• 22-11-2016 9:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 18

Hi everyone.
    I'm new hear!
    I was brought up on small mixed livestock holding in Ireland and My Dad was always a Massey Ferguson man. And I've of late gotten all nostalgic for an old red Massey having gone a few vintage tractor runs. We used to have a 565 which I always loved driving. But seem to remember everyone I've every spoken to about them saying the were a very bad tractor and from looking at the spares that are still to bought they don't seem too popular.
    But I really want a small 500 series I like the 550 as it the simpler power steering rather that the constantly wandering hydro set up in the larger 5's.
    but my of course I have a few questions.....
    So I am asking for some help and advice,
    I have noticed that the hydraulic are and issue (the PTO brake on dads 565 never stopped the shaft and was always left engaged with the cover screwed up tight over it.
    so what should I look?
    and how does one test the hydraulic and lift if the tractor is just in a dealership?
    I probably should have paid more attention when dad was taking tractors apart, I would only be using the tractor for runs and a little light work, such as link box/transport box work and perhaps lifting the odd round bale in summer time when neighbours are gathering them up.

thanks in advance and I am sorry if I have posted in the wrong section.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,291 ✭✭✭Grueller

I know nought about these tractors but try the farming and forestry forum. Some very knowledgeable boys over there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 422 ✭✭marlyman

The 550 is great little tractor . i have one restored and i love it . easy to get in and out of, nippy.
    to test pressure plug in a gauge into the rear spolls and turn them on. The relief valve blows off at 3000 psi. so as near to that as possible. is good.

As regards lift. lift something up and leave it there. see how fast it falls. mine holds a load up for about 3 hours before it hits the ground. if it falls in 10 mins its not good.

to fix the pto turning all the time is a cheap fix, like 10 euro for the brake pad for the ipto unit. but getting at it could take a day for in and out .

i have a manual on that tractor if you want it

• Registered Users Posts: 178 ✭✭fearrchair

We're a 565 using it for drawing in bales of silage at times you'd know if the bale was too heavy. But adjusting the toplink helps so the bale isnt leaning back etc. Did a small job on the lift hydraulics there was a rubber seal that behind the back of the tractor seat height that needed to be changed. I remember we used halt pallet of coal and fertiliser bags to test the weight 1300kg.

The cab is showing spots of rust but l think that's a fault they have. You see some with front loaders and l did fancy one mechanic was saying about €1500 but he was saying the front wheels aren't made for big weight, that really you'd need the larger wheels. We replaced them a few years back and there 90kg max spec. He told us as well it would help to carry one on the back if we did have a loader. The way farming is you'd wonder about spending more on that tractor re loader when you might change how things are done.

• Registered Users Posts: 454 ✭✭MikeSoys

Hi I'm going to attempt to change the oil in my Mf 565...the oil plug seems seriously tight though...

Anyone know if the Drain Plug for the engine oil on the mf 565 is actually clockwise to open, rather then anti clockwise? The plug seems to be 1 inch and 2mm in size ...what box wrench number would that be? Much thanks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,262 ✭✭✭emaherx

MikeSoys wrote: »
    Hi I'm going to attempt to change the oil in my Mf 565...the oil plug seems seriously tight though...

Anyone know if the Drain Plug for the engine oil on the mf 565 is actually clockwise to open, rather then anti clockwise? The plug seems to be 1 inch and 2mm in size ...what box wrench number would that be? Much thanks

Inch an 2mm is a bit Irish. But think it is a 27mm spanner or 1 1/16 and definitely righty tighty lefty loosy

http://infinityline.net/conversion.htm

• Advertisement
Advertisement