Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Trump potential appointees to date?

• 22-11-2016 10:17pm
    Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Reading this

http://www.independent.ie/world-news/north-america/us-election-2016/the-trump-team-of-hardliners-and-nationalists-slowly-takes-shape-35230006.html

Trump seems to be going down a very hard line very right wing approach to his potential appointees, all of whom have to get past approval via hearings.

THey include people previously not appointed due to claims of racism, a "king of bankruptcy" and a man who belives torture techniques currently decried are not enough.

Is this Trump on the rampage or a cynical attempt by him to be removed from the presidency?

And what's the future for America if these nominees get through?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,309 ✭✭✭✭alastair

Stheno wrote: »
    Reading this

http://www.independent.ie/world-news/north-america/us-election-2016/the-trump-team-of-hardliners-and-nationalists-slowly-takes-shape-35230006.html

Trump seems to be going down a very hard line very right wing approach to his potential appointees, all of whom have to get past approval via hearings.

THey include people previously not appointed due to claims of racism, a "king of bankruptcy" and a man who belives torture techniques currently decried are not enough.

Is this Trump on the rampage or a cynical attempt by him to be removed from the presidency?

And what's the future for America if these nominees get through?

Mitt Romney, and James Mattis, if they're legit, aren't the worst choices. Your man Flynn just seems like a nutjob. At least we're spared the return of Palin (fingers crossed).

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

alastair wrote: »
    Mitt Romney, and James Mattis, if they're legit, aren't the worst choices. Your man Flynn just seems like a nutjob. At least we're spared the return of Palin (fingers crossed).

What about Sessions, Flynn and Pompeo?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,309 ✭✭✭✭alastair

Stheno wrote: »
    What about Sessions, Flynn and Pompeo?

As I said - Flynn seems like a nutjob.

Sessions, despite holding views I'd have no time for, and the voiced insinuations, doesn't strike me as racist, and I wonder how he's going to cope with the ballooning deficit, that's clearly going to be a feature of this administration, as he's a traditionalist small government Republican.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,239 ✭✭✭Jimbob1977

General Mattis was appointed by President Obama as commander of the US Central Command.

He has a great reputation amongst his soldiers as a master tactician and intellectual. He introduced 'Arab Sensitivity Training' for troops stationed in the Middle East in an attempt to win over the locals.

He will probably be fine. I think Trump needs to find some moderates that can act in a calm manner and appease Democrat fears. Getting in a Romney or Powell-type would be sensible enough.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,176 ✭✭✭Amerika

Democrat Harold Ford Jr. seems to be the top pick of Trump for the cabinet-level post of Transportation Secretary. Can’t stand the guy, but I knew I wouldn’t be happy with many of the decisions Trump will be making.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,478 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manic Moran

Mattis is very well respected by the troops. The dynamic between himself and Flynn (who himself is no slouch, you don't get to be promoted to Director of DIA or Head of Intelligence to SOCOM by being an idiot) should be interesting: Mattis outranked Flynn. That said, Flynn does seem to be a little hyperbolic at times. I note that the Wiki page on him says he's a registered Democrat?

In fairness, the US military seems to be doing a reasonably good job of putting leaders the troops have confidence in in charge.

Sessions is known for being a staunch advocate of the rule of law, which arguably isn't a bad thing to have in an AG. Whatever his personal opinions on race or homosexuality may happen to be (I think any such data goes back to the 1980s?) I'm fairly confident that he will not step outside his boundaries, or overlook violations by the government (or police) of the laws in force.

I don't know Pompeo, but I do know folks who do (in person). They believe he'll do well, FWIW.

Nikki Haley has just been tapped for UN Ambassador, which will remain a cabinet position, for whatever weight it has. I don't know much about her except whatever has hit the news here in California, but what I've seen, I like.

Advertisement