Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

08 Ford Focus dpf

• 22-11-2016 11:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 132 ✭✭

Hello I'm looking at buying a 08 1.6 tdci Ford Focus in the uk, this particular model I'm told has a dpf filter. I was wondering is this type of engine a good reliable engine? And also will the dpf filter give me any bother?.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,298 ✭✭✭martinr5232

Dpf needs to be replaced about 100k not sure of cost but not cheap. They also have a fuel additive tank which needs filling every now and again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,338 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

They are not the most robust engine and are very unforgiving if they are not maintained properly. If you're worried about the DPF then try and find the 90bhp version as a DPF was only fitted to the 110bhp version.

An Auris 1.4 d-4d would be a more reliable unit, no DPF fitted back then and no dual mass flywheel to worry about either. Another reliable similar diesel would be the 1.6 diesel in the Hyundai i30 and Kia Ceed.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,483 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

I have one (08 1.6 UK import). Never had any engine issues but the DPF is a ****ing pain to say the least. Needs a regeneration every couple of months

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭demanufactured

Only buy a diesel if you are doing enough mileage to warrant it.

• Registered Users Posts: 132 ✭✭135man

Do 1.8 diesels have a dpf filter? The filter seems to be a bit of a headache !! I work 35 mikes from home so mileage isn't a problem.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭demanufactured

135man wrote: »
    Do 1.8 diesels have a dpf filter? The filter seems to be a bit of a headache !! I work 35 mikes from home so mileage isn't a problem.

You'll be fine then.
    They are only a headache when people buy diesels who dont need then.
    Mary doing 1/2 a mile a day on the school run doesn't need a diesel car.
    The engine needs to be able to warm up to operating temperature to be efficient.

The DPF will regenerate itself on longer runs.

Advertisement