Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dunshaughlin TV and Broadband Recommendations

Options
  • 22-11-2016 11:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 584 ✭✭✭

Hi,

I'm moving to Dunshaughlin soon, just wondering what are the options available. I'm moving from a Virgin package in current location, so have been spoiled with excellent BB speeds till now.

Virgin cable - not yet available
    Eir - I believe Fibre available in Dunshaughlin, so presume approx 100/mb d/s speeds? Can anyone confirm?
    Sky - Presume same as Eir as using same phone lines?

Anyone any advice n merits of Sky v Eir for broadband or more or less the same?

I believe the only decent tv service is Sky, so a bundle with them might be best - any feedback from Sky customers on their BB packages?

Tks!!

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,843 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

What part of Dunshaughlin your moving too has a huge bearing on speeds. If your moving into the town itself and are close to a cabinet you should get speeds between 50 and 100 megs depending on distance.

If your moving just outside the town, broadband can be as poor as 2meg downloads However Eir are rolling out Fibre To The Home broadband with up to 1 gigabit speeds to rural areas outside of the town. Much of this work is now complete and should be live early 2017.

There is no cable in Dunshaughlin. Eir's eVision service is available if your able to get Eir Fiber. Sky TV really is the main provider throughout Dunshaughlin.

Both Irish and UK digital terrestrial services (Saorview and FreeView) are available if you have a suitable rooftop aerial.

• Registered Users Posts: 584 ✭✭✭Waesfjord

Thanks for reply.

I'm pretty close to two of the E-Fibre cabinets down close to church at south of town. I presume Sky or Eir offer same broadband srevice, both coming over same phone line?

Neither services are particularly cheap, I haven't heard many good things being said about the Eir tv, that's where Sky seems pretty slick, latter offering 12months rather than 18month contracts. Looks like y decision is made for year one anyway!!

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 6,522 Mod ✭✭✭✭Irish Steve

Not sure if they are offering broadband in Dunshaughlin, as they don't advertise much, Imagine are offering broadband on Fibre, which will be the same speed as Eir, but they seem to be a better ping, and I've not had any issues with contention or slow speeds since it went in here in Ashbourne.

I think they are cheaper than the same package from Eir, probably about the same price as Sky, and apart from some problems recently with the line dropping out, which seems to have been resolved by a contact from Imagine with Eir, it's been reliable.

Shore, if it was easy, everybody would be doin it.😁

• Registered Users Posts: 584 ✭✭✭Waesfjord

Not sure if they are offering broadband in Dunshaughlin, as they don't advertise much, Imagine are offering broadband on Fibre, which will be the same speed as Eir, but they seem to be a better ping, and I've not had any issues with contention or slow speeds since it went in here in Ashbourne.

I think they are cheaper than the same package from Eir, probably about the same price as Sky, and apart from some problems recently with the line dropping out, which seems to have been resolved by a contact from Imagine with Eir, it's been reliable.

looking on Imagine website, they seem to offer up to 70MB over LTE, €60/month, so seems to be slower and more expensive - I guess this is more suited to those in rural Ireland that don't have Eir Fibre service or equivalent?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,843 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

Imagine is definitely not available in the Dunshaughlin area. Imagine's LTE service is a wireless service and has had extremely mixed reviews. It does not operate from cabinets but instead a mast.

I would definitely go with Sky TV over Eir TV.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 920 ✭✭✭Bussywussy

I have Vodafone 100MB and have no problems with them

• Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭hoanymole

We got our broadband through Pure Telecome. 100MB and the service is great.

• Registered Users Posts: 692 ✭✭✭CUCINA

I live 500m from the main st in Dunshaughlin, currently with "Imagine" and the broadband is fine...no problems watching the likes of Netflicks etc...

Had some difficulties when it was first set up a couple of years ago, but fine since.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,281 ✭✭✭Maysa07

I changed from Sky to Eir earlier this year for €50 a month. Speeds are pretty much the same averaging around 28Mb,but Eir's router is much better supporting both 2.4 and 5.0Ghz WIFI.

In regards to a decent TV service, Because i'm with Eir i get the 6 channel Eir Sport Pack.I also use a Seorview combo box and get all the Irish channels plus all the main UK channels completely free. Really don't see the point for paying for a TV subscription,different strokes for different folks i guess.

Advertisement