Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Any PAYG with credit? - Not monthly

Options
  • 23-11-2016 12:01am
    Registered Users Posts: 11,211 ✭✭✭✭

I am looking for a network provider that will allow me to top up by as little as possible until the credit runs out, not every month.
    Vodafone were doing a 5 top up credit, but that doesn't seem to be the case anymore. I want to put a few sims into some devices that will be connected to the internet, and the Sim cards as a fallback but only to send a text notification in mainly rural areas.
    I do not know how often the internet connectivity will drop so i do not know how much will be needed, and peferably not have it expire too soon. Preferably around the 6 month mark or thereabouts.
    I have looked a little, but they all seem to be top up monthly pre pay, as opposed to actual credit.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

The monthly topup is for the benefits:
    -Data bundle
    -Free Calls
    -Free Texts

You dont need them. Just put the fiver on them, itll sit there for six months. But you need them to send one text every 6 months to keep the number active.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,211 ✭✭✭✭Suckit

Thanks. So if I buy 5euro credit on each sim, they can text me for 6 months or until the 5euro is used up?
    I had not realised that. That is perfect if they do.

Yep, I assume this is for something like a Mikrotik to send OOB alerts? You'll just want to log into each unit and test the SMS feature every 5.9 months so Vodafone won't recycle the number and disable the sim.

ED E wrote: »
    Yep, I assume this is for something like a Mikrotik to send OOB alerts? You'll just want to log into each unit and test the SMS feature every 5.9 months so Vodafone won't recycle the number and disable the sim.

Yep, you are correct, it is something like. We are not testing the connectivity, nor running any diagnostics but want to know when it drops. I am not sure if it is the same in the sense that we are not 'monitoring' it.
    If it makes sense we want to know when the connectivity drops, but without worrying too much about it.
    It is more for fun than anything else and we would like to control some small devices. So when they go offline, if somebody is having issues at least we would know why.
    So there may be 20 texts a month, or 3, or 0. (There has been a need to have 10 sms updates last month from each device).
    Would that be an issue?

Sounds fine to me. Really its what SMS was designed for, use by network engineers.

• Advertisement

Brilliant. That is great.
    I thought that because they are only top up per month we were limited to having to do that (which is not an option).
    Thank you :)

Advertisement