Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Christmas Issues

Options
  • 23-11-2016 10:58am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,839 ✭✭✭

Bit of background I'm with my OH 5 years we got engaged last November and getting married next year. So here the thing we both love Christmas , really into it the decorating, Food , crap movies and big presents and all that crack (not the actual religious lark), But we have never done Christmas together, despite living together for the best part of 4 years.

Her family are weirdly close and there's like 30 people shes expected to see and wants to see over Christmas all where shes from outside Dublin.My family is tiny and my folks and sister aren't into Christmas at all , they made a big fuss when we were kids but nothing at all now, which tbh has kind of ruined it for me most of my adult life.

After we got engaged last year we agreed we would do this Christmas properly and together , and i was really excited, did get the feeling at the time though my OH wasn't as into the idea which was a bit disappointing. anyway over the summer my Nana's dimensia got worse so i said to her would she mind if i went to my on Christmas , even though i new it was not gonna be what i wanted so as i could have another Christmas day with my nana , because in all likelihood she wont be fully present by next year sadly.

I said to her no obligation on her to go to mine she could go to Kildare for Christmas day, which she was delighted about. I had suggested she go down Christmas eve late and we'd do our thing all Christmas eve and come back up Christmas day night or early stevens day, she kinda agreed though on reflect not enthusiastically.

Fast forward to saturday when she casually informs me she's going down to her mams at like 8am on christmas eve and not back till 8pm or later stevens day in order to see everyone. I was like hold the phone not even nearly what we agreed , anyway it led to a massive row and me left feeling really ****ty and like she had no interest in spending christmas with me at all , the way i see it she has taken full advantage of the situation with my nan, i gave an inch i shouldn't have but she well and truly took the piss there after. she eventually has kinda noncommittally and definitely reluctantly to stay till like 1 on Christmas eve and come back"early" whatever that means on stevens day. but to be honest im still kinda annoyed about it.

Am i mad or should she actually want to spend some time together over the three days of christmas ? i'm concerned this is always gunna be an issue.

Like i never want to spend Christmas with her family or mine for that matter , neither would be my idea of fun for different reasons.I'm not saying not seeing people but i'm not doing rounds of visiting in Kildare or Christmas with my folks if it can be avoided. I've made this clear to her from the start but i think to be honest shes just not getting it.

Comments

• Administrators Posts: 14,032 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Big Bag of Chips

I'd ask her what she plans to do next year when you're married? Or if you have children?

I understand Christmas is a big time for her and her family, but she is starting a new family now. My husband's family would be a bit like that in that they all go to one house on Christmas Day. About 30 of them, eating dinner off the corners of worktops and the likes! I hate it!! We did it one year and then started our own Christmas traditions, but still making sure we got to see everyone over Christmas.

Your gf is stuck in her ways, but there comes a point when you start a new family unit that compromises have to be made and that family becomes your priority. I'd, reluctantly, let her do what she decides this year. But I would definitely be laying out what you hope to happen when you get married. Will you always be expected to spend 3 days from Christmas Eve to St. Stephen' s day in her family home?

• Registered Users Posts: 362 ✭✭silverbolt

gotta love Christmas - the happiest time of the year produces more rows than any other occasion.

OP, this is an inbuilt behaviour over years and i doubt you are going to break it anytime soon. Locking horns on this is only going to produce more rows.

your partner is torn between you and her family. Your grandmother and your plans concerning her produced a very human response. an easy way out. She wants to spend time with her family and that is natural enough

Your answer to this IMO is go to your grandmothers, let her have her Xmas with her family. there will be christmas next year. But i would certainly voice your concerns. Five years together is significant.

I will point out however that eventually this pattern is going to break. What happens when you two have your own family? Married? Children? Will you spend the entire xmas traipsing from one house to the next dragging your littluns to visit all her relatives?

• Registered Users Posts: 568 ✭✭✭HelgaWard

To be honest it kind of sounds like you want Christmas exactly on your terms and are PO'd she is not complying fully. I can understand why she doesn't want Christmas to be a 24 hour flying visit to her folks. She probably wants to go early on Christmas Eve and return later Stephen's Day so she can have some chill out, non rushed time. You've basically made your plans, and want her to do exactly what you are doing. You know her family are close, yet you are not willing to let her be part of that closeness at Christmas time. Well you are, but only for the brief window that suits you.

Both of you need to comprise a bit more. Don't deny your fiancee time with her family just because you only want to spend a small amount of time with yours.

• Registered Users Posts: 362 ✭✭silverbolt

I'd ask her what she plans to do next year when you're married? Or if you have children?

I understand Christmas is a big time for her and her family, but she is starting a new family now. My husband's family would be a bit like that in that they all go to one house on Christmas Day. About 30 of them, eating dinner off the corners of worktops and the likes! I hate it!! We did it one year and then started our own Christmas traditions, but still making sure we got to see everyone over Christmas.

Your gf is stuck in her ways, but there comes a point when you start a new family unit that compromises have to be made and that family becomes your priority. I'd, reluctantly, let her do what she decides this year. But I would definitely be laying out what you hope to happen when you get married. Will you always be expected to spend 3 days from Christmas Eve to St. Stephen' s day in her family home?

that sounds like my idea of hell as well

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,843 ✭✭✭SarahMollie

I would urge you both to take a bit of a step back and try to gain some perspective.

Many of people are apart from their loved ones at Christmas for various reasons, maybe they're hospital workers or elsewhere in the emergency services or whatever. Maybe the geographical difference is just greater that Dublin/Kildare, which is really minimal in the grand scheme.

Whilst I'd agree that you will need to plan ahead to split time when you are married and maybe have children, this year you are both technically still single. You've a good reason for wanting to stay close to home (your Granny) but maybe your Fiance wants to spend one last full Christmas at home for her own reasons too. Did you stop to actually listen to her, or did the red mist descend!?

Myself and my OH got engaged earlier in the year, but we're still spending Christmas separately, from sometime on Christmas eve to Stephens Day. We both still feel its right to spend Christmas itself with our families, but we'll be doing other Christmasy things together in the run up to Christmas, like having drinks with friends, putting up a tree in our home, exchanging presents, going in to the city center to soak up the atmosphere :) The main issue is more likely to be who gets custody of the cat for the few days!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,839 ✭✭✭Walter H Price

That's exactly what its like loads of people in tiny houses , not for me at all. I've brought up the what about when were married or when we've kids stuff and she has said that will change it , but i don't know is this just always going to be an issue.

I've said id be more then happy to have her mam and my my over to ours any year i do the cooking so no issue , but tbh i know her mother would never come like she dosn't leave where there from has literally been in our apartment once in 2 years. but that's not my issue.
    silverbolt wrote: »

Your answer to this IMO is go to your grandmothers, let her have her Xmas with her family. there will be christmas next year. But i would certainly voice your concerns. Five years together is significant.

I will point out however that eventually this pattern is going to break. What happens when you two have your own family? Married? Children? Will you spend the entire xmas traipsing from one house to the next dragging your littluns to visit all her relatives?

Yeh i get her response was a pretty natural thing just seems kinda cold though that she took advantage of that situation like she knew i didnt want to go home for christmas and was really only doing it for my nan, but she took full advantage of that and turned it into 3 days when it only needed to be one and a single overnight at most.

Not a hope i wouldn't do that to kids i don't think its fare giving them there new toys then packing them into a car for two days to be ferried between various relatives hoses , not a hope. Will make an effort to see her ma , my ma our grandparents and that's it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,514 ✭✭✭bee06

Christmas is tricky. My husband and I never spent Christmas together before we got married but agreed that once we got married we would do every second year until we had kids and then reassess. The first year we had just moved into your new house so stayed there and went to my parents for dinner (which is two minutes from our house).

Then last year my dad was getting chemo and my mom was super stressed so we offered to do Christmas dinner so were with my family again.

This year it's my husbands turn I think and I'm happy to spend Christmas with his family as they are great but I will also be a bit sad to spend my first Christmas away from my family. I have a brother and sister who live abroad so Christmas is one of the few times I get to spend time with them as well so it's an added complication.

You need to sit your fiancé down and work on a compromise that works for both of you.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,767 ✭✭✭GingerLily

Where do you live? Logical answer is, Christmas Eve and day in one house, and Stephens day in the other, and swap around next year.

Or do Christmas eve and morning in one house and Christmas dinner and Stephens day in the other.

I'm assuming here that it's about a 1 hour drive, obviously wouldn't work if your 2 hours plus.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,217 ✭✭✭pookie82

Yeh i get her response was a pretty natural thing just seems kinda cold though that she took advantage of that situation like she knew i didnt want to go home for christmas and was really only doing it for my nan, but she took full advantage of that and turned it into 3 days when it only needed to be one and a single overnight at most.

You seem pretty hung up on her "taking advantage" of you. You're overreacting.

She: loves Christmas and family
    You: not so much

Original Plan: Spend it together. No sacrifice for you (in fact, a better alternative to going home), sacrifice for her, who is breaking a much loved tradition of being with her family for it, but it sounds like she was happy to do it for your sake.

New Plan: You want to spend it at home after all.
    She says great, she can have her few days at home too now, without rushing, and you throw a hissy fit because she's not keeping to the exact parameters you outlined.

That's silly. I can see why, if she's spending Christmas at home after all, she would want to spend most of the 3 main days there. There's nothing worse than having to get up and head off Christmas night when everyone is comatose from dinner and wine and wanting to laze in front of the tv. Likewise to Stephen's morning - most people love a lie in to sleep off the excesses of the day beforehand.

You broke the agreement to do Christmas together in your apt, so let her have an enjoyable one at home instead. You seem intent on calling all the shots and I think it's frankly bizarre you feel "taken advantage of" when you're the one who changed the plan.

Because of your decision you're now not spending Christmas together so why the weird rules about the hours leading to and from it?

I used to be in a relationship years ago (not engaged, but living together) where my OH hated xmas, and I loved it. He used to ruin it for me year after year by insisting I stay as late as possible to go home and come back as soon as possible afterwards with no regard for the fact that I loved and enjoyed this once-a-year time with my family. She'll begin to resent you for it if you don't back off.

Whilst I'd agree that you will need to plan ahead to split time when you are married and maybe have children, this year you are both technically still single. You've a good reason for wanting to stay close to home (your Granny) but maybe your Fiance wants to spend one last full Christmas at home for her own reasons too. Did you stop to actually listen to her, or did the red mist descend!?

Myself and my OH got engaged earlier in the year, but we're still spending Christmas separately, from sometime on Christmas eve to Stephens Day. We both still feel its right to spend Christmas itself with our families, but we'll be doing other Christmasy things together in the run up to Christmas, like having drinks with friends, putting up a tree in our home, exchanging presents, going in to the city center to soak up the atmosphere :) The main issue is more likely to be who gets custody of the cat for the few days!

see we had all these converstaions last year and she was doing 1 last christmas at home then and it was all agreed no worries , but she started that again saturday and that was never the plan , from last year our plan had been a first christmas together this year as next year will be mainc with the wedding in november , honeymoon into december and the possiblity of a new house. All that change as far as i was concerned was my granny's illness getting worse a bit quicker then expect but it seemed to me that she'd gone fully off the idea of us doing christmas this year at all and if it had't been my nana shed of found a different reason.
    HelgaWard wrote: »
    Both of you need to comprise a bit more. Don't deny your fiancee time with her family just because you only want to spend a small amount of time with yours.

The issue here is compromise she wont prioritize a few people to see wants to see everyone and that takes forever and a day , she also prefers me not to go so that basically means 3 days up in Dublin on my Tod because i got talked into putting the cats in too, to make it easier for everyone . like my family will be doing nothing Christmas eve or stevens day and Christmas day will be over for us by like 5-6 it's beyond dull. I'd rater she started to get a little more rational about this stuff now then wait till we have kids and it become a massive let down for her , were planning on starting trying for a baby shortly after we get married next year.

• Advertisement

What has happened other years? Has she gone early Christmas eve and come back late on the 26th?

The first year of breaking the tradition is always difficult, and it always feels a little bit wrong. I know I did the first year I didn't go home. But now I love Christmas day with just us and I hate the idea of anyone else coming in to our day and "ruining" it for us! Could you compromise and do 24th + 25th with your granny and family and then travel down to her to meet her on the 26th, spend the day with her family and then travel back together? It might be a bit more travelling around but Dublin to Kildare isn't hours!

That way she is getting what she wants, and you are still spending more time with her. I would start getting her used to the idea though that in the coming years things are going to change. She might not like the idea at first, but someday YOUR house will be "the home house" that everyone will be coming back to.. until they make their own lives too.

Edit: you could even travel down to see tobstat with her the night of the 25th if all is over a done in your house.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,360 ✭✭✭BetsyEllen

I think you sound selfish. And a bit childish.

I think it's completely reasonable and normal that she is suggesting she go early on Christmas Eve and come back on St Stephens Day.
    It's her family and this happens once a year. She wants to fully enjoy her time with them, probably have a few drinks and chill out.
    Christmas is not just Christmas Day, Christmas Eve and St Stephens are all a big part of it as well.

Could you not spend the 25th with your family and then go up to her St Stephens Day and have some time with her and her family?

GingerLily wrote: »
    Where do you live? Logical answer is, Christmas Eve and day in one house, and Stephens day in the other, and swap around next year.

Or do Christmas eve and morning in one house and Christmas dinner and Stephens day in the other.

I'm assuming here that it's about a 1 hour drive, obviously wouldn't work if your 2 hours plus.

We live in Dublin , my fols live about 20 mins from us as do my aunt and Uncle and my Grandparents , Her family live in Kildare it taes about 2 hours to get there between buses trains and taxis and shes no reliable lifts once shes down there.But we don't drive or own a car , i cant due to anxiety.

I've no interest in Christmas in her one year mine the next and i don't think she does either , my family would ruin Christmas for both of us with there bah humbug approach , don't even bother with a tree at this stage. And christmas in hers is my idea of hell loads of people in tiny houses no space to breath and plus she dosn't want me there.

So the only compromise i can see is we have it in ours invite my parents and her ma possibly her sister and mine and either they come or they don't , but tbh the only person i really want to see on Christmas other then my grandparents is her but i don't think she even nearly feels the same.

BetsyEllen wrote: »
    Could you not spend the 25th with your family and then go up to her St Stephens Day and have some time with her and her family?

I could but my folks do nothing christmas eve , and she dosn't really want me in Kildare so its a waste of a trip everytime i go down there

TBH im more concerned about how polls apart we are on the family stuff it crops up every now and again always leads to a row.

Kildare and the back arse of it is a fair treck from North County dublin when you dont drive.

christmas in hers is my idea of hell loads of people in tiny houses no space to breath and plus she dosn't want me there.

....tbh the only person i really want to see on Christmas other then my grandparents is her but i don't think she even nearly feels the same.

You need to explore this more. She obviously has a very different relationship with her family than you do. And just because she's the only person you want to see, that doesn't mean you should be the only person she wants to see. That is no reflection on your relationship, it's just she has more people she cares about than you do. In my opinion, that's healthy! Otherwise you become totally dependent on one person and it can all become a bit claustrophobic.

Are you sure she "doesn't want you there"?

I think compromise needs to be reached, by both of you. But you run the risk of using her as your crutch. It's not her job to be your sole source of companionship. And if she feels like she is then maybe she is glad of the "break". Again, this is no reflection on your relationship or how much she loves you. But if one person is sociable and close to their family and enjoys that time, and the other isn't and only wants to spend time with their partner that can become very suffocating for the partner.

You're getting married. She loves you, but she also loves her family. I think this year just see what happens. Next year as a married couple things will automatically shift. She won't want to spend Christmas away from her husband. Spending it away from he bf/fiance isn't as big a deal... To her.

We live in Dublin , my fols live about 20 mins from us as do my aunt and Uncle and my Grandparents , Her family live in Kildare it taes about 2 hours to get there between buses trains and taxis and shes no reliable lifts once shes down there.But we don't drive or own a car , i cant due to anxiety.

Even more reason, then, to let her go and have a decent time with them.

You want her stuck on a bus, instead, for half of Christmas Eve/Stephens' Day?

I echo 100% what the above poster says ... just because YOU want to see only her, does not mean she should feel the same way. You will suffocate her with such demands. Don't be the guy who wants to alienate her from her family/limit her time with them because you don't like your own.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,843 ✭✭✭SarahMollie

see we had all these converstaions last year and she was doing 1 last christmas at home then and it was all agreed no worries , but she started that again saturday and that was never the plan , from last year our plan had been a first christmas together this year as next year will be mainc with the wedding in november , honeymoon into december and the possiblity of a new house. All that change as far as i was concerned was my granny's illness getting worse a bit quicker then expect but it seemed to me that she'd gone fully off the idea of us doing christmas this year at all and if it had't been my nana shed of found a different reason.

The issue here is compromise she wont prioritize a few people to see wants to see everyone and that takes forever and a day , she also prefers me not to go so that basically means 3 days up in Dublin on my Tod because i got talked into putting the cats in too, to make it easier for everyone . like my family will be doing nothing Christmas eve or stevens day and Christmas day will be over for us by like 5-6 it's beyond dull. I'd rater she started to get a little more rational about this stuff now then wait till we have kids and it become a massive let down for her , were planning on starting trying for a baby shortly after we get married next year.

Sorry Waltern, but I don't think you're getting it. You were the one who changed the plans (reason doesnt matter really) so you can't then seek to change only part of the plans because that suits you. Once they've changed, then they've changed, so she has every right to reevaluate based on what works best. Its pretty logical that rushing down last thing on Christmas eve and then back again first thing Stephens morning isnt the best use of her time.

Again, you need to gain some perspective. You won't be alone for 3 days as you've already stated you'll be spending time wtih your Granny. Maybe you should drive to Kildare on Stephens day to show some good will.

Are you sure she "doesn't want you there"?

You're getting married. She loves you, but she also loves her family. I think this year just see what happens. Next year as a married couple things will automatically shift. She won't want to spend Christmas away from her husband. Spending it away from he bf/fiance isn't as big a deal... To her.

100% sure , she's told me multiple times she'd rater i didn't go to Kildare with her and tbh i dont mind i would rather not be there anyway it's not my kinda thing.

Its not a claustrophobic thing at all we have other mates and that who we see regularly , the issue with Christmas for me is my family hate it and i love it so the only person i get to do any sort of Christmas stuff with is her , she knows that and she knew i was really looking forward to this year but she still gave up all three days so she could go visit people in KIldare , when i reluctantly had to change the plan for christmas day because of my nan , that's all i felt was unfair.

Sorry Waltern, but I don't think you're getting it. You were the one who changed the plans (reason doesnt matter really) so you can't then seek to change only part of the plans because that suits you. Once they've changed, then they've changed, so she has every right to reevaluate based on what works best. Its pretty logical that rushing down last thing on Christmas eve and then back again first thing Stephens morning isnt the best use of her time.

Again, you need to gain some perspective. You won't be alone for 3 days as you've already stated you'll be spending time wtih your Granny. Maybe you should drive to Kildare on Stephens day to show some good will.

i dont drive and she dosnt want me there , so going down is not an option.

yeh 1 of the 3 days i'll be at home for a wholey uneventful Christmas i only agreed to because it could my grannys last or at least her last fully compos due to her dimensia. Christmas eve id be knocking round the aprtment and putting the kittens in the vet then going home at lik7 or 8 in the evening and probibly back home y lunch time stevens day.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,767 ✭✭✭GingerLily

I've no interest in Christmas in her one year mine the next and i don't think she does either , my family would ruin Christmas for both of us with there bah humbug approach , don't even bother with a tree at this stage. And christmas in hers is my idea of hell loads of people in tiny houses no space to breath and plus she dosn't want me there.

So the only compromise i can see is we have it in ours invite my parents and her ma possibly her sister and mine and either they come or they don't , but tbh the only person i really want to see on Christmas other then my grandparents is her but i don't think she even nearly feels the same.

In that case I can completely see why she has no interest in going to yours, if your family don't celebrate Christmas, and you need to be with your family, and you both can't drive, then her decision makes sense. She can spend new years with your family, if Christmas isn't their thing it's not fair to make her give up Christmas just to be together.

Your about to get married, you really need to learn to compromise.

• Advertisement

100% sure , she's told me multiple times she'd rater i didn't go to Kildare with her and tbh i dont mind i would rather not be there anyway it's not my kinda thing.

You say you love Christmas but don't want to spend it with your family, who don't.

Then you make it clear going to hers isn't "your kind of thing" either, even though they do celebrate it whole heartedly, like you claim to love.

It's becoming very clear you want to monopolize your fiance for Christmas and have it with her, and only her, calling all the shots on who she can/can't spend time with or for how long. That's kind of controlling.

I have a feeling (again, based on my own past experience) that maybe she'd prefer to go alone to these things because you don't blend well/make an effort/sulk a little that you're not getting her to "yourself"? It's no fun visiting family with an unwilling guest.

pookie82 wrote: »
    You say you love Christmas but don't want to spend it with your family, who don't.

Then you make it clear going to hers isn't "your kind of thing" either, even though they do celebrate it whole heartedly, like you claim to love.

It's becoming very clear you want to monopolize your fiance for Christmas and have it with her, and only her, calling all the shots on who she can/can't spend time with or for how long. That's kind of controlling.

I have a feeling (again, based on my own past experience) that maybe she'd prefer to go alone to these things because you don't blend well/make an effort/sulk a little that you're not getting her to "yourself"? It's no fun visiting family with an unwilling guest.

As a few people mention her familys chruistmas is allot of peoples idea of hell loads of people crammed in tiny houses with nowhere to sit , no thanks.

Neither of us want to spend anytime with each others familys in general christmas is no exception so i do think the only fair compromise is that we do our own thing togheter and invite a few of them up .

This was supposed to be the first and probably only year we would get to do it on our own, that hasn't worked out becuse my granny got sicker quicker then we thought she would. at that point i did what i though was fair i didnt ask her to go to my mams because i knew she would hate it and wouldnt want to go, i told her to go ahead and go down to kildare for christmas day. But then she went and took the piss with it and decided she was going down first thing christmas eve and not back till late stevens day , which tbh i still think was kind of ****ty.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,360 ✭✭✭BetsyEllen

OK, now I'm 100% sure you are being very selfish.

If this was my partner, I would hate the idea of them leaving their family on St Stephens Day, knowing they want to be with them, in order to sit on public transport for 2 hours. I would absolutely be telling them to stay there and arrange to come back on the 27th.
    I can't believe you honestly expect her to make this journey just to keep you company?

It's not her fault your family are boring at Christmas time, why should she miss out just to make you feel better?

You have your whole lives ahead of you and many Christmases' to make your own together, for Gods sake leave her be to enjoy the ones she has left with her family.
    But then she went and took the piss with it and decided she was going down first thing christmas eve and not back till late stevens day , which tbh i still think was kind of ****ty.

Also, this comment...seriously?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,859 ✭✭✭m'lady

Reading this I can't help but feel that you are jealous that her family celebrates Christmas and yours doesn't.
    You have been reminded that you are the one that changed the arrangements, yet you are the one now having a hissy fit that she wants to be with her family for 3 days, even though by your admission she's having to 'bus it' to Kildare.
    I agree with pookie, that the reason why she doesn't want you in Kildare is the sulks and moods that possibly happen- I have the same feeling.

I do agree that you both need to sort what will happen from next year on, but I certainly wouldn't be trying to force her to forget seeing her family at Christmas, Jesus (pardon the pun), is that not what Christmas is all about?
    Perhaps you need to try and start making more of an effort to see her side?

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

You say you are going to your parents at 7pm Christmas eve and will be back lunchtime Stephens day.

So all she is doing is spending a few hours more with her family on Christmas Eve and Stephens day.

I'm failing to see the problem here

• Registered Users Posts: 21,039 ✭✭✭✭retro:electro

Seriously, people work hard all year and are entitled to spend their Christmas exactly how they want to. Don't make her feel bad about wanting to see her family for three days around Christmas, (it's actually just 2 days)don't be that guy. You come across incredibly selfish in your post and your tone is awful. It's clear that she values Christmas more than you do anyway. All of this "you can leave here at 1pm and be back earlier than you said"' is so off putting and controlling. The girl just wants to spend a few days with her family. Stop being a douche.

i dont drive and she dosnt want me there , so going down is not an option.

yeh 1 of the 3 days i'll be at home for a wholey uneventful Christmas i only agreed to because it could my grannys last or at least her last fully compos due to her dimensia. Christmas eve id be knocking round the aprtment and putting the kittens in the vet then going home at lik7 or 8 in the evening and probibly back home y lunch time stevens day.

You just want her to be as miserable as you don't you? If you were my fiancé I'd be putting my bags in the car on Xmas eve and not coming back.

Its not a claustrophobic thing at all we have other mates and that who we see regularly , the issue with Christmas for me is my family hate it and i love it so the only person i get to do any sort of Christmas stuff with is her , she knows that and she knew i was really looking forward to this year but she still gave up all three days so she could go visit people in KIldare , when i reluctantly had to change the plan for christmas day because of my nan , that's all i felt was unfair.

Maybe spending Xmas away from her family isn't her kinda thing.

This was supposed to be the first and probably only year we would get to do it on our own,

If you get married and stay together you have potentially 50 years of Christmases!

Just because you plan to invite her mother to yours next Christmas doesn't mean she'll come. If their tradition is everyone goes to her mother's house then I can't see the mother changing everyone's plans just to accommodate 1 couple... Unless you are going to invite the whole gang?

I understand you're disappointed. You made plans, the plans changed. Christmas is a miserable time for you, but it's different for your gf. That's not her fault. I kinda get her preferring you didn't go with her. If you were there she wouldn't be able to relax. You have made it clear that you're not into the big crowds and loads of people crammed into the house. Fair enough. I hate that too. So if you went with her she would be in edge. She'd be preoccupied with making sure you were ok and trying to avoid situations that would stress you out and wouldn't be able to relax and do her own thing with her family.

As already said, it's not her job to be your crutch.

This year things haven't worked out as planned. Next year will be completely different.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,630 ✭✭✭gaynorvader

I think people are being ridiculous and unfair. As far as I can make out from your posts OP, you agreed with your OH to spend this Christmas together. Then your Nan got sick (or sicker at least) and you asked if your OH would mind if you spent Christmas with your Nan as it could be the last one, but that you'd still really love to spend Christmas Eve with your OH, which she agreed to (albeit non-enthusiastically). Now, a few weeks down the line, she's announced that she isn't going to be spending any part of the Christmas with you.

I don't think you're being selfish in asking for a few hours Christmas Eve to exchange gifts. What's her reasoning for heading down so early Christmas Eve? Is she relying on a lift? Is it a similar thing with St Stephen's Day? Can she possibly arrange to come up a few hours earlier Stephen's Day or leave a few hours later Christmas Eve so you two can exchange gifts, etc?

I wouldn't make too much of an issue about this as it's a once off thing, maybe next year you can have Christmas at home and invite some of your family, then the next year go with her to her parents?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement