Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Broadband

• 23-11-2016 11:11am
    Registered Users Posts: 4

I recently got a leaflet in the post from sky asking me to join them ,with free broadband for 12 months, this us what really sold it for me .They now are telling me that they can't give me the service.Eir can supply the service within 5 working days which is perfect but it's more expensive. I have been on to sky for the last 2 weeks and the y are not one bit helpful.in thus day and age it's absolutely disgraceful behaviour. Sky came to me for the business and can't supply what they are selling .
    Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,586 ✭✭✭✭The Cush

What reason have they given for not supplying the service?

I believe if you don't have an existing phone line they won't provide you with a service unlike eir or Vodafone who will arrange for a line to be installed.

You said in the other thread the line exists but was the line active, if not the same probably applies as far as Sky is concerned. Was this the reason they wouldn't supply the service.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 Skybroadband

No that's not the reason there giving they keep making a different excuse

No that's not the reason there giving they keep making a different excuse

So what reason are they giving?

• Registered Users Posts: 925 ✭✭✭OfTheMarsWongs

Was it addressed to your house or just a general leaflet?

If a general leaflet, leaflet people might have delivered to wrong area.

• Advertisement

The Cush wrote: »
    So what reason are they giving?

There saying that eir told them that there is no line for the broadband and eir have told me there is and that there is know problem with the line.

Was it addressed to your house or just a general leaflet?

If a general leaflet, leaflet people might have delivered to wrong area.

It was addressed to my exact location

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,905 ✭✭✭steveon

It was addressed to my exact location

If Eir can provide a service is it a fibre connection or a dsl connection? If its DSL sky are no longer putting in connections

If its Fibre and EIR are telling you there is a service available then Sky can provide a Fibre Service as well as all providers simply wholesale off an eircom line in the first place. Where abouts are you Living???

steveon wrote: »
    If Eir can provide a service is it a fibre connection or a dsl connection? If its DSL sky are no longer putting in connections

If its Fibre and EIR are telling you there is a service available then Sky can provide a Fibre Service as well as all providers simply wholesale off an eircom line in the first place. Where abouts are you Living???

You may be able to answer this steve, if there is an inactive line to a house will Sky reactive the line?

You may be able to answer this steve, if there is an inactive line to a house will Sky reactive the line?

No all work is carried out by EIR OR by The KN Group who are used to service and install Lines these days, no work is carried out by Sky apart from perhaps install the router when A Sky Q box is installed.

This is the same for all other provider such as Digiweb, Vodafone, Pure etc all simply wholesale the bandwidth off Eir to provide a service.

• Advertisement

No all work is carried out by EIR OR by The KN Group who are used to service and install Lines these days, no work is carried out by Sky apart from perhaps install the router when A Sky Q box

To ask the question another way will Sky pay open-eir to reactivate an existing inactive line, discussion over on the BB forum appears to say they won't?

To ask the question another way will Sky pay open-eir to reactivate an existing inactive line, discussion over on the BB forum appears to say they won't?

NOt sure but it they wont how does anyone get broadband I have seen problems where previous tenants refused to pay a service and left a debt and nobody would reactiate the line until the debt was paid...in all instances of refusal of service a phonecall to comreg is in order.

https://www.comreg.ie/

NOt sure but it they wont how does anyone get broadband.
    They transfer/port existing active lines over from eir/voda etc.?

post from the BB forum - http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=101378398#post101378398

They transfer/port existing active lines over from eir/voda etc.?

post from the BB forum - http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=101378398#post101378398

Sky port nothing kn networks do the lot u change from one to the other kn port it you get new router in the post...as I said earlier if one can give fibre in an area they all should and if not Id love to know why as its the same line same switches

Sky port nothing kn networks do the lot u change from one to the other kn port it you get new router in the post...as I said earlier if one can give fibre in an area they all should and if not Id love to know why as its the same line same switches

Here's another, it appears if you don't have an active pots telephone line Sky aren't interested in your business, similar discussions on that forum.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=101318138#post101318138

Here's another, it appears if you don't have an active pots telephone line Sky aren't interested in your business, similar discussions on that forum.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=101318138#post101318138

Definitely not true maybe from area to area as I know and have signed up plenty of people for Sky broadband in the past, many had no phone line to begin with. Some didn't have any phone line even in the premises, unfortunately its all controlled via Sierra aka Arquiva (All these company names aaaaaaaa) now a days who also install Virgin lines. In Fedamore village at moment Fibre is being rolled out and a few friends have signed up for Sky broadband from the company I install for out there using Line of Sight so again they had no phone line and are now on the waiting list awaiting installation.

The discussions on the BB forum appear to say otherwise, no personal experience myself, just what others have posted. Sky being awkward for some including the OP where Sky say they can't provide a service on the inactive line while eir can within 5 days.

The discussions on the BB forum appear to say otherwise, no personal experience myself, just what others have posted. Sky being awkward for some including the OP where Sky say they can't provide a service on the inactive line while eir can within 5 days.

As I said earlier if refusal of service get onto Comreg who will demand an answer and if you are in the right they will sue the operator on your behalf and force them to provide you with a service. Problem in this country is too many people complain to themselves and not to the body responsible for the industry.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,169 ✭✭✭✭ED E

As I said earlier if refusal of service get onto Comreg who will demand an answer and if you are in the right they will sue the operator on your behalf and force them to provide you with a service. Problem in this country is too many people complain to themselves and not to the body responsible for the industry.

Sky don't have to resell any RAP they dont want to. For years they had no NLP procedure in place. Same for the first 18mo of VDSL (they dont like paying install fees). No point going to COMREG over this.

Sky changed tone in the last year. If you order a triple play bundle (Phone, BB, TV) they will do an NLP. BB only and they won't though. This being the case their sales staff seem to only be partially aware of the deal.

If the OPs line is/was LLU when last used Sky get awful confused. Not worth the bother. You have to go with a non LLU provider for 1x contract length then move to them.

ED E wrote: »
    Sky don't have to resell any RAP they dont want to. For years they had no NLP procedure in place. Same for the first 18mo of VDSL (they dont like paying install fees). No point going to COMREG over this.

Sky changed tone in the last year. If you order a triple play bundle (Phone, BB, TV) they will do an NLP. BB only and they won't though. This being the case their sales staff seem to only be partially aware of the deal.

If the OPs line is/was LLU when last used Sky get awful confused. Not worth the bother. You have to go with a non LLU provider for 1x contract length then move to them.

Totally disagree if enough people complain to Comreg then something will be done, Sky cannot turn you away if you dont have an active line if they did they would simply have no customers. Complaining on a bulletin board aint going to change anyone's mind. Eircom refused to install a line for me a few yrs ago a complaint to Comreg soon fixed the issue and I signed up with BT immediately...then when they left the market I went with Digiweb whom I'm still with as they have probably one of the best customer service departments I have ever dealt with..

Siro broadband is currently being rolled out, switched on in Dundalk last week will be rolling to Limerick soon, Digiweb have already contacted me about it and pretty soon most phone line operators will be shaking in their boots if they keep treating people the way they have been doing

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,169 ✭✭✭✭ED E

You're talking crap I'm afraid.

The Eircom Group /OpenEir are the USO, they HAVE to install AFL (no longer needs to be a line, can be a radio replacement system). No other operators have to do anything, its up to their own commercial decisions. If Sky want to only take orders on the 2nd tuesday of every month beginning with a J they can.

Siro broadband is currently being rolled out, switched on in Dundalk last week will be rolling to Limerick soon,

OT but we had a KN person around our area in the last week or so, working on behalf of the ESB walking the rural lines, checking the poles etc. Not Siro I know but we live in hope.

OT but we had a KN person around our area in the last week or so, working on behalf of the ESB walking the rural lines, checking the poles etc. Not Siro I know but we live in hope.

where are you based?

where are you based?

Murroe and beyond open-eir's blue lines.

Murroe and beyond open-eir's blue lines.

Didnt murroe get fibre recently?? unfortunately u need to be between your house and 1.5 km to get a decent signal as after that it starts to drop quite fast.

Didnt murroe get fibre recently?? unfortunately u need to be between your house and 1.5 km to get a decent signal as after that it starts to drop quite fast.

Mid August but we're 4kms out. The ADSL rack is still radio linked unfortunately (not NGB enabled yet) although ADSL speeds have improved somewhat (stable/consistent) as the lines closer to the exchange are transferred over to VDSL. The exchange isn't vectored so VDSL out to 1500m max distance.

Mid August, but the ADSL rack is still radio linked unfortunately (not NGB enabled yet) although ADSL speeds have improved somewhat (stable/consistent) as the lines closer to the exchange are transferred over to VDSL. The exchange isn't vectored so VDSL out to 1500m max distance.

Havent been in Murroe for a while sad to see its so limited thanks for the info

Have you tried Imagine they wont install unless they can give u a minimum of 30meg connection. Have seen a few of their installs and most averaged around 45meg.

Have you tried Imagine they wont install unless they can give u a minimum of 30meg connection. Have seen a few of their installs and most averaged around 45meg.

Topography means we can't see Woodcock Hill or Keeper Hill, we couldn't get MMDS in the day. MBB will have to do for now.

• Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭TheScriptFan

I couldnt recommend anyone less as a service provider than Sky. Stay far far away from them!!

.quote="Skybroadband;101750961"]I recently got a leaflet in the post from sky asking me to join them ,with free broadband for 12 months, this us what really sold it for me .They now are telling me that they can't give me the service.Eir can supply the service within 5 working days which is perfect but it's more expensive. I have been on to sky for the last 2 weeks and the y are not one bit helpful.in thus day and age it's absolutely disgraceful behaviour. Sky came to me for the business and can't supply what they are selling .
    Thanks[/quote]

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 117 ✭✭Coill1

Hi (hope I'm not dragging this off topic)
    Does anyone have any experience of Imagine? Is the service reasonable / good value? (I'm in the coverage area)
    Far as I know you don't need a landline-coverage map on imagine.ie thanks!

Advertisement