Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Winter Bike

Options
  • 23-11-2016 11:18am
    Registered Users Posts: 5,102 ✭✭✭

Hi
    I've a budget of "around" 800 for a 10/11 speed winter bike.
    Not overly fussy on brand. Would like Tiagra/105/Sora/Ultegra(!) if possible.
    It'll be used for winter training. I intend on racing next year.
    Thanks
    M

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,425 ✭✭✭joey100

It wouldn't be boards if someone didn't suggest something just out of budget. So I'll be that person today, velocity bikes in Galway have the 2017 Genesis equilibrium 10 in stock and for 999euro. Really lovely looking bike, can take full mudguards too. Looks like 10 speed Tiagra on it, I have the same groupset and it's really nice. Not on their site but shown on their facebook, can't link to it because I'm in work. Gorgeous bike though.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,861 ✭✭✭fat bloke

Saw that Genesis too. Nice bike. Proper winter bike steed, will take full bolt-on mudguards and the whole lot.

Post up your size actually. My brother is selling a bike (size 58) and it'd be within your budget.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,102 ✭✭✭mathie

Thanks lads.

I'm 58cm. How old is the bike and how much use?
    Would prefer new ideally.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,457 ✭✭✭ford2600

mathie wrote: »
    Thanks lads.

https://www.ukbikesdepot.com/m16b0s6p18705/Road_Bikes/Road/GENESIS_Equilibrium_10_2016

available in large. Use revolut and you might get under budget

• Registered Users Posts: 5,861 ✭✭✭fat bloke

Thanks lads.

Bike is 2010 but it's very very clean. If you'll pardon my French, it's had fcuk all use. I pursuaded my brother to buy it about 2 years ago cos he was about 2 stone overweight, and now he's about 3 stone overweight so quite literally he never ever used it! :rolleyes: Kept indoors since he bought it and whatever air is left in the tyres is the air that I pumped into it 2 years ago. :o

It's a BH. Ten speed ultegra, full carbon, frame and fork, carbon aero bars, integrated seat post.

It's a lovely bike and unlike a new bike you buy for 1000 euro which will lose 50% of its value in a year, this has finished depreciating so - ride it away, mind it, and you'll get your money back on it.

Anyway, it's not my bike, it's not my sale. If you're interested I can put you in touch with him or get you pics or whatever.

• Advertisement

fat bloke wrote: »
    Bike is 2010 but it's very very clean. If you'll pardon my French, it's had fcuk all use. I pursuaded my brother to buy it about 2 years ago cos he was about 2 stone overweight, and now he's about 3 stone overweight so quite literally he never ever used it! :rolleyes: Kept indoors since he bought it and whatever air is left in the tyres is the air that I pumped into it 2 years ago. :o

It's a BH. Ten speed ultegra, full carbon, frame and fork, carbon aero bars, integrated seat post.

It's a lovely bike and unlike a new bike you buy for 1000 euro which will lose 50% of its value in a year, this has finished depreciating so - ride it away, mind it, and you'll get your money back on it.

Anyway, it's not my bike, it's not my sale. If you're interested I can put you in touch with him or get you pics or whatever.

Thanks yeah send me a PM cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 1,123 ✭✭✭LCD

I`ve a Bianchi Impulso for sale that I used for winter training for 2 winters. Complete with 105 Shifters, front & rear mech, 175mm 105 cranks & own brand brakes. Just fitted with new chain.

I had a good set of mud guards on it, which I took off for 1 or 2 or the early races.

It's a 57cm, i am just under 6'2" if you are interested.

• Registered Users Posts: 140 ✭✭guanciale

Mathie
    I recently purchased a Raleigh RX Elite CX bike on sale over at CRC for €519.
    Alu frame with sora group. Real happy. It's a heavy workhorse but exactly what I wanted as a winter bike.
    Positively surprised by Sora. The frame is really nice and the Alu welds look better than any I have had on other Alu frames from higher end manufacturers.
    Eyelets for panniers and mudguards.

Hard to go wrong for that price.

• Registered Users Posts: 313 ✭✭strmin

I'm not sure if could find better value than this: https://www.merlincycles.com/felt-f75-road-bike-2016-93834.html

strmin wrote: »
    I'm not sure if could find better value than this: https://www.merlincycles.com/felt-f75-road-bike-2016-93834.html

Thanks I was looking at this which seems better? ...
    https://www.merlincycles.com/felt-z85-road-bike-2016-93845.html
    But they wont ship it Ireland for some reason. Even though they will ship the f75?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,033 ✭✭✭irishrover99

Thanks I was looking at this which seems better? ...
    https://www.merlincycles.com/felt-z85-road-bike-2016-93845.html
    But they wont ship it Ireland for some reason. Even though they will ship the f75?

Nearly 1 kg in weight difference and better components on the F75

• Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭diarmaidol

RAW cycles in limerick have The Rapide RL1 Disc Gravel 2016 (SORA) for sale @ 850 with some extras. Basically a "brand" of Ridley ala Genises...

I'm shopping the same as you and the referenced Raleigh RX Elite and the unbuilt London Road from PlanetX are on my short list. I've a smaller budget than you and kinda want something that will take 28mm+ tyres.

Advertisement