Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Trapezius Muscle Injury and MRI

• 23-11-2016 11:24am
    Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭

Morning Gents,
    Just wondering if anyone has any experience with damaging their trapezius muscle and needing an MRI for same.

Bit of background about a week ago I started having horrific shoulder pain accompanied by pins and needles in my hand and reduced range of motion and sensation in my arm, I don't do weights, I wasn't lifting anything odd, and I can think of no discernible single action that I associate with the pain starting. The heaviest thing I lift in a day is my own fat arse or a baby / toddler sabrewolfe.

I went to my GP who gave me difiene for the daytime and valium to help relax things at night in the hope it would stop things bunching up or getting worse. After a week of this and no improvement I'm now being sent for physio and a shoulder MRI in Blackrock on Thursday.

Has anyone had a similar experience they would like to share or discuss?

(Note: I'm not looking for medical advice, I'm already getting it from GP etc.., would just like to hear if anyone else had something similar happen and how they got it resolved)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,012 ✭✭✭uch

I dislocated my shoulder playing football and when the lads picked me up off the ground it popped back in, I had no serious issues afterwards, but I did have the symptoms you describe, I had an ultrasound and it was decided that I didn't need any surgery or steroids, so I was sent for Physio, about 6 - 7 weeks of this had me grand and feeling no pain as such, but I couldn't swim for about a year afterwards until it completely settled.

21/25

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,639 ✭✭✭Sugar Free

sabrewolfe wrote: »
    Morning Gents,
    Just wondering if anyone has any experience with damaging their trapezius muscle and needing an MRI for same.

Bit of background about a week ago I started having horrific shoulder pain accompanied by pins and needles in my hand and reduced range of motion and sensation in my arm, I don't do weights, I wasn't lifting anything odd, and I can think of no discernible single action that I associate with the pain starting. The heaviest thing I lift in a day is my own fat arse or a baby / toddler sabrewolfe.

I went to my GP who gave me difiene for the daytime and valium to help relax things at night in the hope it would stop things bunching up or getting worse. After a week of this and no improvement I'm now being sent for physio and a shoulder MRI in Blackrock on Thursday.

Has anyone had a similar experience they would like to share or discuss?

(Note: I'm not looking for medical advice, I'm already getting it from GP etc.., would just like to hear if anyone else had something similar happen and how they got it resolved)

I'd be amazed if that wasn't something other than a tight trap. Any physio (and some GPs who have been trained in dry needling) worth their salt could give you relief from a tight muscle.

I had the same symptoms as you and mine was a cervical spine injury - bulged discs at C5/C6 with some loss of signal due to the trapped nerves. Confirmed by an MRI then saw a consultant who said there was no further action needed.

For me the only thing that helped the pain was time. The first two weeks in particular were grim. I was also prescribed valium the first time. Useless for helping me relax/get sleep when I was in the worst pain I had ever experienced!

My whole upper back/shoulder/arm on that side atrophied quite a bit too because of the loss of signal. Even holding a glass of water made me look like I had Parkinson's. Took probably ~3 months to it back up to the same strength and size of the other side.

That was just my experiences, yours may be different as indeed your injury might be.

Advertisement