Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New uPVC Front Door

Options
  • 23-11-2016 12:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,701 ✭✭✭

The winter chill is here and it has become very noticeable in the hall that our front door is quite drafty. There just isn't a good seal all the way around it (put your hand anywhere around it and you feel a gentle breeze of cold air). The weather sealing doesn't look worn or anything but I am going to replace it as a first port of call. Another issue is that half the door is glass which is just ice cold to touch on the inside now. So, my gut is telling me I'm better off just replace it entirely and getting a pro to make things airtight. Two questions so...
    1. How much am I roughly looking at to replace the door? Not looking for anything massively fancy.
    2. Any recommendations (in Cork) on who would do a good job?

Senator windows any good? Thanks to the power of advertising, they're the only crowd that spring to mind :) They want to call out for a consultation before they'll give me anything resembling a quote though.

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 10,140 Mod ✭✭✭✭BryanF

1. How big is the door ope? Is is it a door and a side panel?
    2. We aren't aloud to discuss specific companies here.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,839 ✭✭✭Alkers

You could also consider hanging a curtain rail and getting a heavy curtain. Might not suit but it's very effective

• Registered Users Posts: 702 ✭✭✭JonathonS

Plastic doors are one of life's greatest aberrations. Do take a look at all the other options.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,701 ✭✭✭Bacchus

BryanF wrote: »
    1. How big is the door ope? Is is it a door and a side panel?
    2. We aren't aloud to discuss specific companies here.

1. Just the door, no side panel or anything above it.
    2. Are people allow PM opinions? I literally know nothing when it comes to who to go to for front doors. This issue has sort of forced itself on us as opposed to something we've put some planning into.
    JonathonS wrote: »
    Plastic doors are one of life's greatest aberrations. Do take a look at all the other options.

What would be a better option?

Simona1986 wrote: »
    You could also consider hanging a curtain rail and getting a heavy curtain. Might not suit but it's very effective

Thanks for the suggestion. I'd prefer to address the issue at the source though (i.e. the door itself).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 702 ✭✭✭JonathonS

Bacchus wrote: »
    What would be a better option?

1. Wood (eg teak etc). You wont get the same U value as other options but if you want a natural finish it is the best.

2. Alu-clad: aluminium outer, wood inside. Wide choice of designs and colours.

3. Composite. Offer the best U-values of these 3 options.

There are others but these are the three to consider. They are more expensive than plastic, but you will have to look at your door every day for many years, so its worth taking the time on the best design and materials.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,031 ✭✭✭colm_c

We recently had a similar issue, replaced the door (and side panels) with a composite palladio door.

Unbelievable difference, house is so much warmer, no more drafty front door/hallway.

Expensive, but as the poster above said, you have to look at it and live with it for 10+ years.

Thanks for the replies guys. I'll look into those composite doors.

Advertisement