Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tesco self service tills

Options
  • 23-11-2016 12:11pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 564 ✭✭✭

This is just an observation. Just noticed something with the rounding up and down. It's nothing to do with Tesco ripping off anyone. Went into buy brown bread 72p. I put in 70 cent which was going to be the price when its rounded down but the service till still asked for the 2p. Put in 10 cent and got 10 cent change. As i said just a funny little thing with rounding up and down. Wonder if you only had the 70 cent would they give the product to you.

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

No.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,342 ✭✭✭seagull

It's really time they did the rounding thing properly. Just round the total in all cases.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,764 ✭✭✭my3cents

This is just an observation. Just noticed something with the rounding up and down. It's nothing to do with Tesco ripping off anyone. Went into buy brown bread 72p. I put in 70 cent which was going to be the price when its rounded down but the service till still asked for the 2p. Put in 10 cent and got 10 cent change. As i said just a funny little thing with rounding up and down. Wonder if you only had the 70 cent would they give the product to you.

Hmmmm wonder what would have happened if you had put in the 2 cents?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 564 ✭✭✭Checkmate19

I would have got the goods. As i said it was just an observation no need to a <SNIP>

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,096 ✭✭✭✭the groutch

the machine is working exactly as it's meant to be, with your change being rounded off rather than the total due.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 564 ✭✭✭Checkmate19

i know that. what i was saying is it rounds down after you put the total amount in and you get charged 70c instead of 72c. it would be interesting to if you only had 70c to try get it for that. as if you went to the till instead of the self service on thats what they would ask for. i not being mean here its just an observation.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,518 ✭✭✭✭TheDriver

I noticed this too, you must put in the total or more and the change is rounded. What's more interesting is your right to not have it rounded, I dare you ask that at the self service....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,764 ✭✭✭my3cents

I was trying to think up weird scenarios and how they would play out?

If for your 72 cent purchase you put in 71 cents ran out of change and then put in a note say €5 would you then get €5.01 change? I suspect so but it does seem a little strange that the machine can't ask for the rounded amount straight away the same way a checkout operator would?

• Registered Users Posts: 373 ✭✭garbeth

A lot of self scan operators have a "coppers" box for this. In the scenario where you only had 70 cent the operator would have put in the two cents for you

As mentioned already the machine is doing it correctly as the change is rounded not the total

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

my3cents wrote: »
    I was trying to think up weird scenarios and how they would play out?

If for your 72 cent purchase you put in 71 cents ran out of change and then put in a note say €5 would you then get €5.01 change? I suspect so but it does seem a little strange that the machine can't ask for the rounded amount straight away the same way a checkout operator would?

The change is rounded, so you should get €5 change.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,994 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

my3cents wrote: »
    I suspect so but it does seem a little strange that the machine can't ask for the rounded amount straight away the same way a checkout operator would?

I think it was lidl I was in recently where the till rounded the total and when I told them I was paying by card the rounding was removed. So the technology can do it, just tesco can't be bothered to do it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,124 ✭✭✭homer911

I bought something today where I was due 11c change (expecting to get 10c) and the self service till spat out a 5c coin!! On principal I complained to the attendant who seemed to recognise this as a recurrent problem, that the 5c "had got stuck". He opened up the machine and gave me my money, but it should have given me a 10c coin in the first place!

Check your change!

Advertisement