Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Chinese Lanterns

Options
  • 23-11-2016 12:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,712 ✭✭✭

A. Are they legal, B, if so where can you get them in Cork?
    Should have said, the flying ones are what I'm after.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,599 ✭✭✭ScrubsfanChris

• Registered Users Posts: 28,404 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

Pound shops. Be sensible when using, wind direction etc

• Registered Users Posts: 2,712 ✭✭✭roundymac

vicwatson wrote: »
    For use at midnight new years eve, so should be safe, all planes tucked up in bed.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,457 ✭✭✭livedadream

roundymac wrote: »
    vicwatson wrote: »
    For use at midnight new years eve, so should be safe, all planes tucked up in bed.
    and the animals that end up choking on them?
    the esb lines they could hit?

super safe mate... :ermm:

• Registered Users Posts: 18,292 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

Potentially deadly yokes. Saw one nearly going into the open skylight in a house.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 555 ✭✭✭-Toppy-

Saw them in Mr Price in Ballincollig at Halloween - not sure if still there

Thanks to all who replied, but I'm beginning to have second thoughts about them.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,015 ✭✭✭Ludo

Found a burnt out one up against the kitchen wall of my house one morning last year. Not nice to think what could have happened. Unlikely to have actually started a fire I know, but all the same it was very annoying that it was simply someone out there putting this burning thing up on the wind for no real reason and not caring or knowing about the consequences.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,357 ✭✭✭Melodeon

I found one on the bounds of my forestry/native woodland a couple of years ago:
    402332.jpg

Thanks for endangering several decades worth of work and husbandry, person who wanted to see a pretty light in the sky! :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 16,312 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

They should be illegal, no better than littering. Could set fire to forestry, anything.

Flying incendiary devices.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,599 ✭✭✭ScrubsfanChris

They're already illegal in Germany and Austria.
    Cork Airport is open 24hrs (Except Dec 25th) for the odd late/delayed flight and emergency landings.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,312 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

People don't and won't follow guidelines for drones in this country, because there aren't any penalties, maybe a strongly worded letter is all. What makes this any different?

• Registered Users Posts: 241 ✭✭Stephenc66

Thanks to all who replied, but I'm beginning to have second thoughts about them.

If it helps you make up your mind perhaps have a quick google about the damage that they have done to animals and property before you finally make up your mind. As others have said here they are very dangerous

• Registered Users Posts: 2,559 ✭✭✭refusetolose

started by a chinese lantern...

302552701.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 8,651 ✭✭✭Milly33

Do reconsider Roundymac, I was going to say noooooooo dont buy them.. Nice to see that you are open to the fact that they arent as fun as they seem... You can get better ones i think with like bamboo in them, but still i doesnt stop them settting something on fire or animals eating them..

Can I ask is it for adults or for kids to send off..

If tis for Kids you could have them make their own lantersn (they wont float) but they could be getting them ready that evening and then light them at midnight..Another saver option so they dont go on fire is just get a candel dish and then make a paper covering to go around them..

For adults yeah suppse giant sparklers

For both, but I doubt if I'll be buying/using them after what has been posted here. It was just every year I see them floating past our place.

I know they look very pretty alright have seen them floating around in the skies very tempting but they do havoc well done to you

• Registered Users Posts: 2,457 ✭✭✭livedadream

if its any help I get sparklers every year for news years, you can get kid safe ones and their really pretty and great fun.

If you can manage to find these things they are great for something, well as a kid adult I like them and kids would defo like them http://www.dhgate.com/product/original-brand-39-fyrfly-quot-the-dream-flywheel/252176053.html

They are great, I picked one up in Toss O'Briens before, could chance asking them where they got them from.

The giant sparklers in the euro shop are a great deal around €2 for four packs or something

Advertisement