Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New socket

Options
  • 23-11-2016 12:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 207 ✭✭

Hi,
    I had a new double socket with USB type sockets fitted recently, it replaced an old cracked single socket. I can hear a slight hissing sound from about 6 inches away from the socket even when there's nothing plugged in. Should I call the electrician back?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,380 ✭✭✭DublinDilbert

currants wrote: »
    Hi,
    I had a new double socket with USB type sockets fitted recently, it replaced an old cracked single socket. I can hear a slight hissing sound from about 6 inches away from the socket even when there's nothing plugged in. Should I call the electrician back?

You can hear the switching power supply, not everyone can hear frequencies that high. Often it is only audible when there is no load on the supply and it starts cycle skipping.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 710 ✭✭✭GreenFolder2

It's probably just the power supply inside it alright.
    It's one of the reasons I'm just going to use plug in adaptors for the time being.

Also, USB-C is already beginning to replace the USB-A standard. My Google Nexus phone for example uses it on both ends of the cable. Same with the new Apple laptops.

Even though the connector is tiny (similar size to Apple lightening on the iPhone) it can handle 20V 5Amp power. It also allows much faster data transfer rates and rolls in HDMI and Intel Thunderbolt 3 (common on Apple devices) as well as DisplayPort standards into the same port. So one connector will basically do everything in new devices.

It'll take a few years but I would suspect USB-C will push the old standard out.

• Registered Users Posts: 207 ✭✭currants

Thanks guys, electrician was back for something else so I asked him to have a look and he said its just the transformer in the socket for the USB outlets. Its very handy for charging phones and does the them and the tablet quicker than the chargers that came with them, Samsung phone charges in 1 hour for on it for example vs 90 mins on charger, tablet is about the same.

Advertisement