Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Am I correct, I hope so?

Options
  • 23-11-2016 2:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 519 ✭✭✭

Guys

Quick question,, magazine round limit.

I know the round limit for .22LR & .17HMR are 10 round, anything above this is restricted.

Is this the same for .308 calibre.

Have submitted a application for a .308 which has a 10 round magazine and someone was saying they thought this might need chief super sign off.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,968 ✭✭✭✭Witcher

There's no limit for centrefires.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,023 ✭✭✭deeksofdoom

Strider wrote: »
    There's no limit for centrefires.

Go way ta Fuk, of course there's limits on centrefires.

There's limits on everything.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,968 ✭✭✭✭Witcher

Go way ta Fuk, of course there's limits on centrefires.

There's limits on everything.

There's none for centrefires, go find one if there is.

• Registered Users Posts: 519 ✭✭✭PSXDupe

I haven't been able to find one, hence the question.

From what I can find, it suggests that centrefires usual have a small capacity, less than 5 rounds but specifically states rimfire have a maximum of 10 rounds.
    I can't find anywhere stating a maximum for centrefire rifles. See below, c.i for centrefire, c.ii for rimfire.
    1. Firearms other than those to which subparagraph (2) relates are declared to be restricted firearms for the purposes of the Act:
    2. This subparagraph relates to the following firearms:
      1. single-shot or repeating short firearms capable of discharging only blank ammunition;
      2. shotguns manufactured, adapted or modified so as to render them incapable of containing more than 3 cartridges, but not to shotguns—
        1. with a detached, folding or telescopic stock, or
        2. with a pistol grip, or
        3. whose barrel is less than 60.9 centimetres (24 inches) in length;
      3. the following long firearms (not being assault rifles or bullpup rifles):
        1. single-shot or repeating rifled centre-fire firearms of a calibre not exceeding 7.62 millimetres (.308 inch) and whose overall length is greater than 90 centimetres,
        2. single-shot, repeating or semi-automatic rim-fire firearms designed to fire rim-fire percussion ammunition and with a magazine having a capacity of not more than 10 rounds,
        3. air-operated rifled or smoothbore firearms;
      4. silencers capable of being used only with long rifled rim-fire firearms;
      5. the following short firearms designed for use in connection with competitions governed by International Olympic Committee regulations:
        1. air-operated firearms of 4.5 millimetres (.177 inch) calibre,
        2. firearms using .22 inch rim-fire percussion ammunition.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

The round limits are not on the calibre as much as the action type.
    • Rimfire bolt action - 10 round
    • centrefire bolt action rifles - no limit
    • Rimfire semi auto - up to 10 is unrestricted and over 10 restricted
    • Centrefire semi auto - Restricted regardless of mag size
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,024 ✭✭✭✭Grizzly 45

Slight add on to that as well.
    Lever& pump action centre fire unrestricted
    Lever & pump action rim fire???

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

Bolt action covers them. The more proper term would be repeating firearms as repeating in Irish law are:
    repeating firearms” means firearms that are loaded and reloaded from a magazine or cylinder by a manually-operated mechanism
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

Advertisement