Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Macbook Pro to Macbook Air - questions

• 23-11-2016 2:38pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,158 ✭✭✭

So I have just won a Macbook Air through a work supplier, great surprise on a crap day!!!

Its the early 2016 model I believe - 8gb Ram/13.3" screen, 128gb SSD etc.

So a few questions...

Firstly, I currently have a 2012/13 macbook pro. I have upgraded this to 16gb ram and a 500gb ssd. I know the max ram on an MBA is 8gb so know I cant change that. However I want to swap over the 500gb SSD from my old Mb to the MBA.Is this as simple as swapping over and the MBA will start working like the MBP or is there more to it?

Secondly and you will have to excuse my lack of tech jargon for lack of a better word. So I want to set up an 1-2tb external HD at home so that I can transfer all my files to it so that I am not storing them on my MBA but can access them wirelessly. I also want to include time machine or similar for regular backups of my MBA as I will be using it for work too.
    So in simpler terms I want to store all files on an external drive that I can access anywhere in the house, watch movie files on the MBA while the file is on the other drive in a differnt room!? Is this possible, and again apologies for my lack of relevent jargon to explain properly!

Lastly, is there anything I may be forgetting in terms of swapping over from MBP to MBA?

Appreciate any help on this!

frAg

Comments

Advertisement