Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Getting a bike forwarded from the UK

Options
  • 23-11-2016 3:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,102 ✭✭✭

Im looking at getting a bike forwarded from the UK to Ireland

Dimensions of the box are roughly 182cms x 121cms x 30cms

So far
    Parcel Motel = 126 euro!
    DPD Parcel Wizard wont take it
    Deliverme.ie wont take it
    AddressPal wont take it

Any other options?

Thanks
    M

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 384 ✭✭Welshkev

Never done it myself, but have you thought of freight? Something like Hayles? http://www.halesfreight.ie/

• Registered Users Posts: 475 ✭✭selwyn froggitt

Hi Mathie,
    I used the following service last month.

http://sendbike.com/collections/united-kingdom

They use DHL as their carrier, really great to deal with and I got a cyclocross bike delivered from the UK to Cork for 85 sterling.
    You can't phone them directly, web chat only. But I would recommend them

Cheers

SF

• Registered Users Posts: 5,102 ✭✭✭mathie

Welshkev wrote: »
    Never done it myself, but have you thought of freight? Something like Hayles? http://www.halesfreight.ie/

Just got quoted 110 euros

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 3,976 Mod ✭✭✭✭Planet X

Paisley Freight.
    Did it a couple of years ago.
    About 40 quid.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,440 ✭✭✭cdaly_

I used https://www.anyvan.ie/ and got a bike shipped from Cornwall for around 90 euros.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,445 ✭✭✭TheBlaaMan

mathie wrote: »
    Im looking at getting a bike forwarded from the UK to Ireland

Dimensions of the box are roughly 182cms x 121cms x 30cms

So far
    Parcel Motel = 126 euro!
    DPD Parcel Wizard wont take it
    Deliverme.ie wont take it
    AddressPal wont take it

Any other options?

Thanks
    M

Parcel Motel have obviously really tightened up on their pricing, I would have thought - based on a few frames that I got via their service over recent years - that it would be half that price.

• Registered Users Posts: 199 ✭✭nialljf

i'm going to have to send my bike to UK in a few months when i'm moving. i don't have a dedicated bike box and they're bloody expensive. any other ideas for boxing it?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,445 ✭✭✭TheBlaaMan

nialljf wrote: »
    i'm going to have to send my bike to UK in a few months when i'm moving. i don't have a dedicated bike box and they're bloody expensive. any other ideas for boxing it?

Go to a local bike shop that sells new bikes and ask them for a box from a new bike they have just assembled. They should have lots at this time of year and be more than happy to oblige you worth your attempts to save them disposal costs. Then go to a builders merchants and get some of the styrofoam pipe lagging that plumbers use and protect the frame with it. Jam something between the fork dropouts to prevent them being compressed to much in transit. Take off the wheels and handlebars and tape these to the bike

• Registered Users Posts: 199 ✭✭nialljf

TheBlaaMan wrote: »
    Go to a local bike shop that sells new bikes and ask them for a box from a new bike they have just assembled. They should have lots at this time of year and be more than happy to oblige you worth your attempts to save them disposal costs. Then go to a builders merchants and get some of the styrofoam pipe lagging that plumbers use and protect the frame with it. Jam something between the fork dropouts to prevent them being compressed to much in transit. Take off the wheels and handlebars and tape these to the bike

good advice there, cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 1,508 ✭✭✭Esroh

nialljf wrote: »
    good advice there, cheers

Re something be tween the forks.
    When asking for the box ask for the plastic skewers that came off the new bike that was in the box.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,923 ✭✭✭vektarman

Planet X wrote: »
    Paisley Freight.
    Did it a couple of years ago.
    About 40 quid.

+1 on this, I've used Paisley Freight a couple of times, can't remember the price offhand but it was fairly reasonable.

• Registered Users Posts: 313 ✭✭strmin

Pack your wheels in a separate box. Two smaller boxes cheaper to ship than one oversized. I paid £30 to get my bike shipped with DPD.

Advertisement