Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Do some players conform to mediocrity?

• 23-11-2016 4:48pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 12,045 ✭✭✭✭

This debate arose as a follow on to the debate in the GSOD thread.

We've seen the tears from MvG, Taylor throwing strops, Anderson pissed off, Wright the other day couldn't look at MvG after he was beaten. These players hurt when they lose as their ambition is to be number 1 in the world, to win titles and to be a champion. When they do lose they are working hard whether it be practise, the mental side of things or on their lifestyle to up their game and give themselves the best chance of success.

I'm inclined to think that many players are making a comfortable living and are not overly concerned with titles They seem content with doing enough to win a couple of hundred grand a year and if a title comes along well and good but they are not trying their utmost to be a champion.

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,294 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kingp35

I think it depends on your personality. They very best sports people tend to have huge drive to to be the best and succeed. Others have some drive but it doesn't mean as much to them and then there's a third category that aren't that bothered at all but have enough natural talent to make an impression in the sport.

Darts is no different, there will definitely be players that are just happy to pick up a pay cheque.

There are too many hugs and kisses after many darts matches, it REALLY annoys me to see someone smiling and laughing after losing. Credit is sometimes given to these players for being "good losers". That's rubbish imo. As long as you don't disrespect the other player then you are a good loser. These players need more drive and bite to become better but they are probably content to be at the level they are at.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,519 ✭✭✭Flint Fredstone

I think these kind of opinions do a real disservice to the natural talent and/or the unbelievable determination to succeed that some players possess.

The fact is that there are elites in every sport because of these traits. You may as well be asking why Glen Whelan never pushed on like Roy Keane.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

It's about mixing natural ability with dedication to hard work and practice. Maybe certain guys get too caught up in the appearance/exhibition circuit and don't spend enough hours on the practice board.

I was happy to read recently that Adrian Lewis (one of the most naturally gifted players ever imo) has decided to scale back his exhibitions next year to focus on playing as many floor tournaments on the pro tour as possible. There's no substitute to playing regular competitive games against fellow pros.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,065 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

ye should deff give this a watch, very good Doc which follows MVG and Anderson around for the 2015/16 World Championships

I got the blu ray off Amazon dont think its on sale in any Irish stores

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,045 ✭✭✭✭gramar

It's about mixing natural ability with dedication to hard work and practice. Maybe certain guys get too caught up in the appearance/exhibition circuit and don't spend enough hours on the practice board.

I was happy to read recently that Adrian Lewis (one of the most naturally gifted players ever imo) has decided to scale back his exhibitions next year to focus on playing as many floor tournaments on the pro tour as possible. There's no substitute to playing regular competitive games against fellow pros.

Lewis should be winning a lot more based on the talent he has, still only 31 though so plenty of time to get back on track. He looked to be one of the few players to be some sort of match for MvG but he's been well off that level. He's won well over 400k in 2016 but as for trophies only one qualifier event and the PDC World Cup in 2016.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,882 ✭✭✭sc86

gramar wrote: »
    Lewis should be winning a lot more based on the talent he has, still only 31 though so plenty of time to get back on track. He looked to be one of the few players to be some sort of match for MvG but he's been well off that level. He's won well over 400k in 2016 but as for trophies only one qualifier event and the PDC World Cup in 2016.

not sure where your coming up with some of this stuff
    order of merit is over 2 years not 1

sc86 wrote: »
    not sure where your coming up with some of this stuff
    order of merit is over 2 years not 1

You're correct on the order of merit but as for trophies in 2016 he won the qualifier 1 for the Coral UK open in February and the World Cup with Phil.
    I don't think anyone can deny that a fella who was double world champion in 2011 and 2012 hasn't underachieved somewhat in the last 3/4 years.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,882 ✭✭✭sc86

where did i disagree over trophies?

sc86 wrote: »
    where did i disagree over trophies?

Read your post again. You didn't.

Advertisement