Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Development editor for Short Story

• 23-11-2016 5:29pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 615 ✭✭✭

Hi, I am looking for a development editor / professional critic for my work.

I am an amateur and this is (and always will be) a hobby. I find it difficult to justify €225 to the Irish Writers Centre for someone to read a short story and I don't know what makes a good or bad editor.

So, in a nutshell, I am looking for a good editor/critic that isn't going to cost me a fortune. I have googled results but I am looking for personal recommendations. Any ideas?

TIA

Comments

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 17,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭Das Kitty

For a short story?

It's mostly books that you'd pay to get edited. I've never heard of someone getting a short story professionally edited by anyone other than a journal publisher after selection.

I've been writing short stories for some time, and reading them for much longer. I'd be happy to take a look and give you feedback for free.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 615 ✭✭✭donalh087

Thanks for that Kitty, will PM you. Development editors are far more of an American thing than a European afaik. But they seem to have quite an input at a higher level. I've hear people like Zadie Smith talk about working in New York and the much higher contribution editors have there rather than London. I find it an interesting idea (good and bad) that an 'outsider' would have such impact on my work.

I'm looking for input but I am also looking for an insider who will be able to say 'This is all wrong for The Stinging Fly but it is much more suited to The Little Brother'. That kind of thing. Am I making any sense?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,775 ✭✭✭EileenG

Strutural edits is a thing I'll often do for friends or people on Wattpad, but it's usually based on the synopsis. I'm looking at the structure of the novel, the plot, the character development, all that stuff. A short story is unlikly to need any of that.

donalh087 wrote: »
    Thanks for that Kitty, will PM you. Development editors are far more of an American thing than a European afaik. But they seem to have quite an input at a higher level. I've hear people like Zadie Smith talk about working in New York and the much higher contribution editors have there rather than London. I find it an interesting idea (good and bad) that an 'outsider' would have such impact on my work.

I'm looking for input but I am also looking for an insider who will be able to say 'This is all wrong for The Stinging Fly but it is much more suited to The Little Brother'. That kind of thing. Am I making any sense?

The best way to know where might be interested in your work, is to get your hands on the latest issues of the journals. Stinging Fly is going through an editorial change at the moment, so it might be difficult to say what the next editor will favour.

Short stories are slippy beasts, they don't necessarily follow structural norms.

Das Kitty wrote: »
    they don't necessarily follow structural norms.

And yet it's very easy to tell good ones from bad ones :-)

There is no doubt that Short Stories are more mercurial, a changed word here, a dropped sentence there and the mood changes completely. And that's what I'm looking for, someone with that sixth sense.

I need someone with the inside track too - like 6000 words is way too long / short for credible publishers, no one wants to hear stories about the Celtic Tiger anymore - whatever the current zeitgeist is.

So, assuming Das Kitty isn't Declan Meade in disguise, I'm looking for someone to tell be I am very close or it's time to take up golf.

• Advertisement

No luck there. Declan Meade hasn't liked anything I've ever sent him. :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,775 ✭✭✭EileenG

6000 words is on the long side, you are limiting your market. 2000 words is the commeercial length. Most of the good competitions are around that length.

Do you want to send it to me?

EileenG wrote: »
    6000 words is on the long side, you are limiting your market. 2000 words is the commeercial length. Most of the good competitions are around that length.

Do you want to send it to me?

Love to - pm me your email. (Thanks).

Advertisement