Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Got a Smart Home? - What's so Smart about it?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,698 ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

Any updates folks?

Any smart tech you've added recently? got anything new that's uber cool?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,555 ✭✭✭wexfordman2

Any updates folks?

Any smart tech you've added recently? got anything new that's uber cool?

Heating... Nest
    Lighting....velbus and some hue
    Security...comfort alarm, which also controls my velbus system.
    Audio....had six zone sonos, but downgraded to google homes.
    Tv/sat :- dreambox, lg smart TV and other TVs all have Chromecast for netflix also.
    Cleaning;- Samsung robot vacuum
    Lawn....robowmow rs615
    19" rack for centralised control wiring with 24 port switch

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,650 ✭✭✭cooperguy

Control - Vera Edge connected to:
    Lights - Lightwave RF switches in all rooms
    Motion Sensing on Landing - fibaro 3 in 1 sensor
    Heat - Nest
    Smoke detector - Nest
    Sound - Sonos Play 1s and a Play Base, Echo dots (I am waiting patiently for the Sonos integration to echo that has been promised!)

• Subscribers Posts: 16,592 ✭✭✭✭copacetic

Heating - Heatmiser 5 zone underfloor and Hw control via app etc
    (Planned evohome but once went for underfloor it wasn’t suitable)
    Lighting - Hue and mostly Osram, they don’t work that well together.
    Practical issues with bathroom fans etc as others have mentioned.
    Alarm - hkc partially wired and wireless with app control and alerts
    AV - centrally installed Eircom, hdmi over cat6- harmony remote
    Audio - undecided. Didn’t install ceiling speakers in the end, currently simple
    Sony units with Spotify via app link. Works very well.
    CCTV - Poe system with central recorder in AV cabinet, rock solid but poor
    alerts.
    Ring doorbell - worked great, but died, replacement same.
    Smoke/carbon alarms - 6 nests zoned. Looks like nest can’t do automatic
    turn off of boiler so need to replace one of them.

A lot of work to do still on all these systems with app control, sensor, routine
    setups etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 467 ✭✭17larsson

You must have about ten different apps for all that. Do you try to get everything talking to eachother or just leave them working seperately?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,409 ✭✭✭randombar

Heating... Hive
    Lighting....Hue
    Security...TODO
    Audio.... Echo plus echo dot
    Tv/sat :- 3 x wetek play
    19" rack for centralised control wiring with 24 port switch
    Ubuntu server on HP microserver for file management

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 438 ✭✭wasim21k

pihome_home_main.png
    pihome_boiler_logs.png
    Heating... Raspberry pi with arduino with mysensors library
    Security... work in progress
    TV... ip tv

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,650 ✭✭✭cooperguy

cooperguy wrote: »
    Control - Vera Edge connected to:
    Lights - Lightwave RF switches in all rooms
    Motion Sensing on Landing - fibaro 3 in 1 sensor
    Heat - Nest
    Smoke detector - Nest
    Sound - Sonos Play 1s and a Play Base, Echo dots (I am waiting patiently for the Sonos integration to echo that has been promised!)
    Just an update, Sonos updated their software to work with the Amazon Echo now. It works pretty well!

Any suggestions for arduino or pi related security?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 594 ✭✭✭Dazzy

My setup.....

Heating - Hive (Very good)
    Lighting - Mix of Hue and standard LED
    Security - old HKC w/dialler (Bulletproof), Hive Door Sensor.
    Doorbell - Doorbird (Lots of problems)
    CCTV - Ubiquiti G3 HD cameras w/Ubiquiti DVR. (Excellent system. Had Chinese devices before, never again).
    Network - Virgin Hub 2 in bridge mode. Ubiquiti EdgeRouter, Ubiquiti AP AC Lite/LR indoor, LR Mesh Outdoor. Controller hosted on Amazon Web Services.
    Multiple TP link GigE switches and Homeplugs (Works very well).
    AV - Onkyo 4K AV Receiver with App support. Zone 2 for outdoor. Alexa. Slingbox. Chromecast. Zune :-)
    Smart Socket - Belkin Wemo.
    House Phone - Panasonic PABX (Ancient, 100% reliable).

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,135 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

All plugged into Raspberry Pi Home Assistant

Heating - Nest - Home Assistant is plotting temperature graphs so I can monitor temperature patterns in the house. Also hooked into IFTTT.
    Lighting - Xiaomi Yeelights. Plugged into HA and IFTTT
    Security - HKC w GSM. Hooked into IFTTT so I can automate sending ARM texts (probably too risky to run automated UNARM :))
    IP CAM - Some substandard Annke cam. It's plugged into HA after many hours of packet capturing (and help from iSpy open source forums) to see how it talks. Have motion and sound triggers plugged into it now between midnight and 7am (except for weekends). Probably will plug in a 2nd when the baby arrives :)
    Network - Virgin Hub 3.0, plugged into an Asus router that's plugged into an old USB printer, set up via LPR. Also have a Pantum wireless printer plugged into that. Messy but works fine. Also plugged into TP link router for upstairs LAN connection. which leads me to my next one
    PC - Plugged into Home Assistant for WoL flipping :D I think I can also set this up via IFTTT and webhooks but haven't got around to that yet. I have Cortana set up with its new 'Connected Home' feature. It's terrible compared to Home and Echo.
    AV - Chromecast and MiBox
    Smart Socket - Some cheapo 15 euro plugs, works fine. Haven't found permanent home for them yet, likely Christmas tree though.

I also have a tablet downstairs, called the Smart Guestpad. It has all the buttons/widgets for most of the above for guests staying at ours (and its really simple to use for people not up to scratch on tech, god bless you IFTTT).

I plan on getting some vibration sensors to detect when the washing machine is done, plug that into HA. A light sensor for under the dishwasher, so will trigger when light turns off (end of cycle), and Google Home in some form before the end of the month.

For the smart sockets, I wouldn't have a use for them as all my lighting is already automated, but I did get 3 G-Homa smart plugs last year in B&Q for €20 each, and they worked excellently over last Christmas.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,939 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

I plan on getting some vibration sensors to detect when the washing machine is done, plug that into HA. A light sensor for under the dishwasher, so will trigger when light turns off (end of cycle), and Google Home in some form before the end of the month.

It is great reading other peoples set ups, it gives you ideas for things you could do yourself :D

So two weeks to go what are peoples plans for Black Friday.

I need:

More hue switches.
    Hive smart plug(s)

I would like:

Security cam
    Security system that can plug into existing sensors
    Hue candle bulbs (Need 11 for the hall and landing) {it would be cheaper to replace the light fitting}
    Hue Gu10s (need 8)

Also thinking of moving from echo to google home (I might be crazy)

I would like 2/3 Nest protects (ideally battery, but I do have wires running to 2 of my CO2 alarms)

I'd also like some more Hue Dimmer switches, but I can't see them going below the £19.99 they currently are, though perhaps if the Hue Dimmer kit (Dimmer switch with an E27 White only) drops a decent bit from its £29.99 price tag, I might get a few as my mother needs a few E27 hue bulbs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,635 ✭✭✭✭ted1

Heating - Nest - Home Assistant is plotting temperature graphs so I can monitor temperature patterns in the house. Also hooked into IFTTT.
    Security - HKC w GSM. Hooked into IFTTT so I can automate sending ARM texts (probably too risky to run automated UNARM :))
    IP CAM - Some substandard Annke cam. It's plugged into HA after many hours of packet capturing (and help from iSpy open source forums) to see how it talks. Have motion and sound triggers plugged into it now between midnight and 7am (except for weekends). Probably will plug in a 2nd when the baby arrives :)
    Network - Virgin Hub 3.0, plugged into an Asus router that's plugged into an old USB printer, set up via LPR. Also have a Pantum wireless printer plugged into that. Messy but works fine. Also plugged into TP link router for upstairs LAN connection. which leads me to my next one
    PC - Plugged into Home Assistant for WoL flipping :D I think I can also set this up via IFTTT and webhooks but haven't got around to that yet. I have Cortana set up with its new 'Connected Home' feature. It's terrible compared to Home and Echo.
    Smart Socket - Some cheapo 15 euro plugs, works fine. Haven't found permanent home for them yet, likely Christmas tree though.

I also have a tablet downstairs, called the Smart Guestpad. It has all the buttons/widgets for most of the above for guests staying at ours (and its really simple to use for people not up to scratch on tech, god bless you IFTTT).

Why not just measure the load of the washing machine and dish washer with smart plugs and then use that to see when it’s on?

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,135 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

ted1 wrote: »
    Why not just measure the load of the washing machine and dish washer with smart plugs and then use that to see when it’s on?

That's the easy way out :P . Have old Pi boards so I'm going to invest in some sensors and mess around with it.

Has anyone had any experience with the smart radiator valves? Does anyone know if there's 'quiet' ones that dont screech so much turning the valve?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 594 ✭✭✭Dazzy

I'm keeping an eye on the Fingbox, I find the App is brilliant and the reviews look good for the Fingbox. Only recently released so the price may not change.

I had some issues when VM switched me over to IPv6. I had to revert it as port forwarding stopped working.

All of these are pushed into the Home Assistant via port 8123 so I pretty much had to start from scratch last night :/

Got 2 Google Homes few weeks ago, they're pretty cool. Home Assistant can give me information on what song is playing on the tunefm radio so happy out.

I also have a GPS tracker on the nmap component on HA, so the wife can stalk me when I'm, ahem... 'at work' :D
    Have some ping and speed checker checking my net connection every few hours in HA
    Have my 3 most used dublin bus stops plugged in as sensors to HA. Very handy coming downstairs to the kitchen in the morning, and having the dashboard already on and showing the bus times.

I ordered some binary sensors but they've yet to arrive. I've also ordered some Xiaomi Arqava wireless wall switches and photosensitive bathroom lights.
    I also want to use the tablet dashboard camera for something (better not let it go to waste!), either security or facial recognition components to trigger access to the tablet.

Disappointed with the logitech circle 2 myself, lot of wifi drops and poor screen views. Going to look for a wired solution instead.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 784 ✭✭✭ctlsleh

GaryCocs wrote: »
    Disappointed with the logitech circle 2 myself, lot of wifi drops and poor screen views. Going to look for a wired solution instead.

Was thinking of buying the Circle2 or Arlo/Nest......what are the issues you’ve seen and what wired solutionwere you thinking about?

I’m looking at doing something similar, so interested in the issues you’ve had and what you’re looking at instead......
    Cheers for sharing

ctlsleh wrote: »
    Was thinking of buying the Circle2 or Arlo/Nest......what are the issues you’ve seen and what wired solutionwere you thinking about?

I’m looking at doing something similar, so interested in the issues you’ve had and what you’re looking at instead......
    Cheers for sharing

Three main issues are the poor wifi, poor picture and length and width of power cord.

-> Wifi is down and up every couple of hours with notifications of same to phone. Have chrome minis connected throughout the house without issue.

-> Technically connected now but screen is just basically snow at the minute with sound (was fine and might be ok after a restart)

-> Cable and camera connection are all one piece so if you are drilling a hole for the cable it has to be wide enough to fit USB (which is fairly wide)

-> Cable is quite short and should be longer considering they would be wired through an attic or something. Ended up splitting mine because of length and width but then it turned out there was no wifi connection at all (phone had one fine) where I wanted to put it. :confused:

Still looking around unfortunately. The arlo 3 cameras for 260 looks very good but then you're on wifi again. Cant find a google home supported wired option yet.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,939 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

Sounds like might be issues with your wifi. I've both a circle 1 and circle 2 (wired one) and wifi performance seems fine. Maybe just one offline alert in the last month and picture quality normally very good.

Having said that my place is a two bed apartment, so distances are short and I've a very good quality wifi router which is well placed (middle of apartment, high on top of a cupboard, greatly boasts performance).

Just mentioning it, as you might end up running into the same issues with Arlo or any other wifi camera.

As you say, solutions might be a wired power over ethernet cameras or perhaps looking to improve your wifi. Might be worth running some wifi mapping software on your laptop around your home to see what it is like.

BTW I agree that the design of the USB cable is a pain to get through walls.

bk wrote: »
    Sounds like might be issues with your wifi. I've both a circle 1 and circle 2 (wired one) and wifi performance seems fine. Maybe just one offline alert in the last month and picture quality normally very good.

Having said that my place is a two bed apartment, so distances are short and I've a very good quality wifi router which is well placed (middle of apartment, high on top of a cupboard, greatly boasts performance).

Just mentioning it, as you might end up running into the same issues with Arlo or any other wifi camera.

As you say, solutions might be a wired power over ethernet cameras or perhaps looking to improve your wifi. Might be worth running some wifi mapping software on your laptop around your home to see what it is like.

BTW I agree that the design of the USB cable is a pain to get through walls.

I might have done it a disservice, set up another wifi point in the same room and so far (since last night) it looks ok.

GaryCocs wrote: »
    I might have done it a disservice, set up another wifi point in the same room and so far (since last night) it looks ok.

Yes, I think if people are going to be using wifi for IP cams, they will need to make sure they have good wifi coverage.

IP cameras streaming HD are going to be using 10mb/s or more per camera. Now that doesn't sound like much, but doing testing I've seen wifi drop to that or less around parts of many family/friends homes. Add in other devices like Chromecasts doing streaming and it can all choke up pretty quickly.

Yes, I think if people are going to be using wifi for IP cams, they will need to make sure they have good wifi coverage.

I've my Vodafone fibre modem which is connected via ethernet to an Apple Time Capsule as my main Wi-Fi router under the TV in the living room, I then have an Apple Airport Express in the Kitchen above my units (connected to laptop speakers), and another Airport Express up in the Attic, so between the 3, I've good Wi-Fi signal all around the house, and everything connects app nicely with no issues.

I've my Vodafone fibre modem which is connected via ethernet to an Apple Time Capsule as my main Wi-Fi router under the TV in the living room, I then have an Apple Airport Express in the Kitchen above my units (connected to laptop speakers), and another Airport Express up in the Attic, so between the 3, I've good Wi-Fi signal all around the house, and everything connects app nicely with no issues.

Yes, that is an excellent setup. I use to use Airport Express myself.

I believe this is the future of wifi, multiple wifi access points throughout the house to give good coverage.

Actually the next gen wifi will operate at 60GHz and will likely need an AP per room!

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 11,373 Mod ✭✭✭✭lordgoat

Yes, that is an excellent setup. I use to use Airport Express myself.

I believe this is the future of wifi, multiple wifi access points throughout the house to give good coverage.

Actually the next gen wifi will operate at 60GHz and will likely need an AP per room!

Agree, have a load of Ubiquiti gear sitting in a basket to be bought. Just waiting to see how much cash I have left, after some other more immediate needs are taken care of

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 220 ✭✭Caillte

Im looking at getting google wifi but how do i bridge my vodafone router?

• Advertisement

Caillte wrote: »
    Im looking at getting google wifi but how do i bridge my vodafone router?

I just use an Ethernet cable from one of the 4 ports on the back on the Vodafone modem, and connect it to the input on the Apple time capsule

Advertisement