Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

EI transferred bills from an account to another without notice or consent. Legal?

Options
  • 23-11-2016 5:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4

Hi,

I'm seeking for legal advice. Electric Ireland transferred two bills amount from an account where no direct debit was set up, to another account where direct debit was set up so they could get their money.

Those two accounts are not related at all. They have the same account holder's name. That's all. Not the same address, not the same plan.

Long story short, my girlfiend and I were living in an apartment, and she opened in her name an account for her brother in an another place. Because he didn't set up Direct Debit, Electric Ireland decided to put on OUR bill, two bills amounts of his.

Is it legal? Can Electric Ireland just transfer as they wish, without warning, notice, consent, amounts due from an account to another JUST because the account's holder is the same?

I've talked with EI via PM but they're avoiding the subject and don't give me any answers.

Thank you!

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 17,642 Mod ✭✭✭✭Graham

This might help:

http://www.bpfi.ie/customer-assist/personal-customers/directdebit/

SEPA Consumer (Debtor) Rights
    [font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Under the SEPA Direct Debit Core Scheme Rules and SEPA Regulation 260-2012 consumers can:[/font]
    • [font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Use a single account to pay a SEPA Direct Debit in any SEPA country[/font]
    • [font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Instruct their bank to refuse a SEPA Direct Debit[/font]
    • [font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Prohibit the application of any SEPA Direct Debit to their bank accounts[/font]
    • [font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Specify creditors who may collect SEPA Direct Debits from their bank accounts[/font]
    • [font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Specify creditors who may not collect SEPA Direct Debits from their bank accounts[/font]
    • [font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Limit a SEPA Direct Debit collection to a certain amount and/or period[/font]
    • [font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Request a refund for any SEPA Direct Debit within eight weeks from the date on which the SEPA Direct Debit was debited from their account. Within the eight week period their bank must refund on a ‘no-questions asked’ basis[/font]
    • [font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Request a refund for any unauthorised SEPA Direct Debit after 8 weeks and within 13 months from the date on which the SEPA Direct Debit was debited from their account.[/font]

That's not to say your girlfriend isn't liable for the amounts charged though if both accounts are in her name.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 572 ✭✭✭EI: Aoife

Hi again Flodub,

Thank you for getting in touch.

We can only discuss the account with the named account holder.

If the account holder contacts us via private message, we would be happy to discuss this with them. We are also available on Facebook and Twitter. Alternatively, the account holder can contact our colleagues in the phone department on 1850 372 372. The phone-line is open from Monday to Saturday (8am to 8pm).

Please let us know if you have any other questions.

Thanks,
    Aoife

Advertisement