Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cooling off period rights

Options
  • 23-11-2016 6:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 188 ✭✭

Hi there,

At the start of November (1st), a friend of mine ordered the full Sky tv+broadband+phone package for a new house she was moving into. Since then the package from sky has improved and included a much desired TV.

So she attempted to change the deal by ringing sky as her deal hasn't really started yet (still not received any router/installation etc.). However they're saying her cooling off period has passed. I did find in a PDF on the sky website that says
    "Cancellation period: You have the right to cancel your order for Sky Broadband and/or Sky Talk and any ancillary services without giving any reason any time up to 14 days (“cooling off period”) from the later of: (i) delivery of your Wireless Router; (ii) activation; or (iii) receipt of the relevant terms and conditions for that product/service."

When she confronted them with this information they folded on the tv and broadband but are insisting the phoneline was activated right after the initial order (1st Nov). This is on a house she told them she would not own until the middle of the month (which was the reason for the delayed installed date which happens to be scheduled for tomorrow)

So all in all they're trying to hold her to the phone deal and therefore screw her out of a possible full deal through them including the tv/phone/broadband at a reduced price and the bonus free TV.

Is this allowed? can they really activate a phone and say you contract has started before you even own the house? and 20+ days before the rest of the kit is installed or the "billing contract" starts?

Thanks,
    Ben.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,465 ✭✭✭MOH

Surely if it's a package and they haven't delivered the router yet the cancellation period hasn't even started?

• Registered Users Posts: 188 ✭✭BENJIspendlove

MOH wrote: »
    Surely if it's a package and they haven't delivered the router yet the cancellation period hasn't even started?

Yeah, it was a package order but they seem to be trying to separate them out to keep a hold of anything they can.

I also just found out that the house used to have UPC and they replace the telephone sockets with their own unit which doesn't contain a standard phone socket. Sky would have to install this socket i believe to get the phone to work again therefore a missing piece of the install for the phone package?

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

Upc don't use phone lines at least not in mine

• Registered Users Posts: 69,024 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Yeah, it was a package order but they seem to be trying to separate them out to keep a hold of anything they can.

I also just found out that the house used to have UPC and they replace the telephone sockets with their own unit which doesn't contain a standard phone socket. Sky would have to install this socket i believe to get the phone to work again therefore a missing piece of the install for the phone package?

UPC wouldn't have touched the phone socket. Their phone service is internet based and provided by the router or TV STB.

A wonky/ancient CPE in the house is the problem of the user. If there actually isn't a real phone line in the house and Sky haven't arranged for one to be supplied yet, though...

Advertisement