Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Private members' bill to legalise taprooms

Options
13»

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,848 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

L1011 wrote: »
    Is that not useful, though?
    Not to me. I don't run a brewery :) My point is just that the bill as-passed was effectively re-written by the Department of Justice and has created something different to what was in the bill as-initiated.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,476 ✭✭✭✭Peregrinus

BeerNut wrote: »
    Not to me. I don't run a brewery :) My point is just that the bill as-passed was effectively re-written by the Department of Justice and has created something different to what was in the bill as-initiated.
    Yes, but that's pretty common when Private Member's Bills are taken up by the government, since they tend not to be very well-thought out or well-drafted. Private Members don't have the policy formation and drafting support of the public service. They generally need a going-over before they are fit to be enacted and brought into operation.

In this case the Bill was altered by adding in an option not originally available - an application for a producer's off-licence. That seems to be to be beneficial to producers who only want to conduct off-sales, and not detrimental to anybody.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,475 ✭✭✭bennyineire

But surly you are all missing the big picture, this is a good starting point.

The key here is to start pushing for amendments over the next few years so slowly but surly tweak.

Best thing to do is to let it be as is for 2 years and start pushing for changes.

It will need a champion though and one wonders if Alan Kelly will have the stomach for it

• Registered Users Posts: 26,476 ✭✭✭✭Peregrinus

But surly you are all missing the big picture, this is a good starting point.

The key here is to start pushing for amendments over the next few years so slowly but surly tweak.

Best thing to do is to let it be as is for 2 years and start pushing for changes.

It will need a champion though and one wonders if Alan Kelly will have the stomach for it
    What changes would you suggest?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

The exact same as the UK, Holland etc.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 68,678 ✭✭✭✭L1011

I'd prefer if we had more sensible general licencing scheme meaning that a brewery, distillery etc could get a pub licence without shelling out 80-90k all told to buy and transfer one. However the vintners and temperance lobbies would be in uproar like last time an even slight improvement (McDowell's cafe bars) was suggested.

Some years on and Revenue have finally listed more than a handful of these at one time - some of them have serial numbers that are years old so clearly were licenced for ages. Decent geographical spread, more of a tilt toward distilleries that I'd have thought but distillery tours are much more touristy. Its also more viable for a brewery to have a brewpub and cover the costs of a pub licence than a small distillery to have a whiskey bar with one I guess.

On licences:

Rebel City Distillery (Cork), Black Donkey Brewery (Roscommon), Kinnegar (Letterkenny), Tom Crean (Kenmare), Ballykeefee Distillery (Kilkenny), Shed Distillery (Drumshanbo), Treaty City Brewery (Limerick), Lough Gill Distillery (Sligo), Blackwater Distillery (Waterford), Waterford Distillery (Waterford), Wicklow Wolf Brewery (Wicklow), Stillgarden Distillery (Dublin)

Off licences:

Chapel Gate Whiskey (Clare), McGills Brewery (Kerry), Skellig Distillery (Kerry), Highbank Cider (Kilkenny), St Mels Brewing (Longford), Lough Mask Distillery (Mayo)

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 5,786 Mod ✭✭✭✭irish_goat

Crolly not on the list?

Revenue lists have all sorts of reasons to be incomplete!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 3,070 Mod ✭✭✭✭Black Sheep

Tom Crean is still going? The lager? Thought they were long gone, guess not.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,848 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

Different brewery. Dingle Brewing Company which made (or at least sold) Tom Crean Lager is gone. The Tom Crean Brewery in Kenmare opened a couple of years ago and is run by Tom Crean's granddaughter.

Advertisement