Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The continuing story of a quack who's gone to the dogs

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,629 ✭✭✭ThebitterLemon

snailsong wrote: »
    BTW, Lemon, when are you coming to our parkrun? The Operation Transformation group start on the 14th, might suit ya.;D

Still licking my wounds P, haven't even summoned up the courage to run with Tang, one step at a time...

TbL

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,121 ✭✭✭tang1

Christ if that's the case and I can get down to a racing weight, forget the sub 3 I'll be hitting 2.30 :)

TbL

P is talking about sub 3 hour marathons not sub 3 minute 100metres..........

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,140 ✭✭✭snailsong

No update for a while, I'll try to be brief.

Thursday 5/1
    Easy 5 miles with two friends.
    8.2k @ 5:24/k

Friday 6/1
    The plan had 12 miles but I settled for 11. Thought I was going ok but it felt hard towards the end and the pace dropped a bit.
    17.7k@ 5:10/k

Saturday 7/1
    Westport parkrun. The woman I had planned to pace for 20min was struck down with illness so I was off the hook. Another woman was trying for sub 22 so I aggreed to come along. It was touch and go all the way and I thought we might just miss out. Happily, we blasted the last downhill 600m and finished in 21:58. Good day.
    5k @ 4:25/k

Sunday 8/1
    Myself and the missus availed of the opportunity for a night away in Sligo. Not TBL you're dealing with here, this is as exotic as it gets. This put paid to the plan for 18 miles. Another sunday without a long run. Mrs ss had 7 miles planned for sunday morning so we both headed out towards Rosses Point. After a mile or two I accelerated away and did a few miles at MP or close to. Caught up with her on the way back and jogged the last bit.
    Dissapointingly, all the data disappeared when I tried to upload.
    14k @ 5:30/k
    Weekly total 88.5k (55 miles)
    Not as much as I'd hoped but not a disaster either and a few speedy miles in there too.

Monday 9/1
    Could have taken a rest day but decided to keep the run streak going another while. Out in the cold and dark for an easy 5k. Day 42 of the streak.
    In the evening I returned to pilates for the first time in two years or so. Didn't find the class too hard. Afterwards I had half an hour of hanging around before collecting my daughter from swimming. Next week I'll use this to run a few k so I wont need to go in the morning.
    5k @ 5:25/k

Tuesday 10/1
    Felt weary and a bit sore in the evening, maybe the result of the pilates class. Met the group and went for a nice easy 5 miles. For some reason I enjoyed this even more than usual, everyone seemed to be in great form.
    8k @ 5:31/k

Wednesday 11/1
    Met up with my Wednesday friend in Newport. We're considering making Wednesday a long run day and today's plan was for 17 miles. The wind was pretty serious, met Eireann issued a warning. It was cold enough too, especially in the squally showers. I wore a fairly heavy windproof jacket with a hood and I wasn't sorry. Our plan was to do a loop of the mountain track and return by the greenway. When we saw the conditions we decided to reverse the loop so as to have a tailwind on the high road. The first 7 miles were hard work into the teeth of the wind, this was followed by a steep climb where we even walked a little bit. After that we had the promised tailwind all the way back. The pace improved a lot but it was very cold and I was glad of the hood. The total came in half a mile short but fairly wrecked and happy with the effort.
    26.4k @ 5:33/k.

Full head of silver locks and ya still needed a hood?? Ah come on!! Fair play on today's run, it was wild in Co Meath can only imagine what your part of the world was like.

I'm starting to feel like the legendary statts with all this talk of my hair.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,831 ✭✭✭Annie get your Run

He's just jealous....you'll get used to it :D

Good idea to get your long run in with the multi colored weather warnings :eek:.

He's just jealous....you'll get used to it :D

Good idea to get your long run in with the multi colored weather warnings :eek:.

He's talking about wearing tights over on his log, only a matter of time before he had a wig to go with them :O.

Weather warning my ar$e , I didn't see any yellow weather.

He's talking about wearing tights over on his log, only a matter of time before he had a wig to go with them :O.

Weather warning my ar$e , I didn't see any yellow weather.

I have the stilettos already!!!

Thursday 12/1

It was really cold and sleety and when I packed my running gear in the morning I forgot the jacket and gloves. Now, I'm not stupid so I took opportunity to call to the house during the day. Grabbed the gloves and a light jacket, how cold could it be?
    About 7pm and I'm heading up a steep hill with my friend. The sleet is horizontal and I'm already soaked through my inadequate jacket. I've lost all feeling in my hands, I left the gloves behind in the car..When the situation becomes life threatening we make an emergency detour back to the car. It took about 20 minutes to get the blood flow back to my hands.
    5.1k @ 5:43/k

Friday 13/1
    Its few degrees warmer, calm and dry. I have three layers, a heavy jacket, gloves, hat and a buff:). Not cold now. I had planned 11 miles but late from work again so just had time for 8 with a good buddy.
    Total 12.7k @ 5:28/k

Saturday 14/1
    I was on RD duty at parkrun in the morning, not straightforward with lots of OT newbies. Didn't get out for a run until 5, did a 7 miler close to home.
    Total 11.5k @ 5:23/k

Sunday 15/1
    This is supposed to be a stepback week and having done 16.5 miles on Wednesday I decided 14 would be adequate today. Set off with 3 other lads and did a very pleasant 11 mile loop. lots to talk about, mild weather, and it flew by. Did three more by myself to get to 14.
    Total 22.5k @ 5:19/k

Weekly Total 91.4k (57 miles)
    Happy enough with the total. I notice I was very one paced this week. There was no speed work, a few good hills though. I should be doing recovery a bit slower, there's always a compromise on pace when you run with others.

Next week is complicated. Theres about 70 miles to do overall. The long run should be 21 miles, my training partner is keen to go long on Wednesday but maybe not that long. I should be doing an LT session on Tuesday and it's not a good idea to do both. One option would be to do regular 5 miles on Tuesday, maybe 14 on Wednesday with some LT included and long on Sunday. Suggestions welcome.
    Also, Tuesday will be the 50th day of my running streak, not too pushed about keeping it going after that, we'll see.

• Advertisement

Monday 16/1
    An hour of pilates followed by 5k recovery.
    Total 5.3k @ 5:45/k

Tuesday 17/1
    The plan had 10 miles with 5 @ LT pace. I was a bit wrecked after work so decided to leave the speed work for tomorrow and just do the regular 5 miles. It was a lovely evening and 9 people showed up for our informal little running group. A new record! Good craic as usual.
    Total 8k @ 5:11/k

Wednesday 18/1
    I had been hoping to do my long run on Wednesday but it would probably be a bit much if I wanted to do the LT session as well. Off to Newport again and met up with two women, both very strong trail and ultra runners. We headed out the Achill spur, a track on the mountain side running more or less parallel to the Great Western Greenway. Its hilly and rough underfoot with fantastic views and near total isolation, lovely to run on. After 8 miles we came down on to the greenway for the return and this is where I headed on for my 5 miles at LT pace. The target was 4:05-4:10/k and it felt reasonably ok to hold this pace, though I might have been slightly assisted by a breeze. Splits 4:02, 4:09, 4:04, 4:12, 4:04, 4:09, 4:06, 4:07. Variations accounted for by the gradient. Jogged back to meet my friends and finished out with about 14 miles. Happy with the session.
    Total 23.3k @ 5:09/k

Thursday 19/1
    Met two friends and ran 8k. I had hoped to do this really slowly but it was difficult to slow the others.
    Total 8.4k @ 5:33/k

Friday 20/1
    Run 1, Inishturk.
    I was visiting Inish Turk with work and had an hour to kill. Theres a 5k loop walk so I set off to run it. This is probably the most scenic 5k route I have ever done. I took lots of pictures ,some were on Strava, but they dont really do it justice. The rugged beauty, the isolation, the power of the ocean are staggering. Would recommend to anyone who gets the chance.
    5k @ 5:56/k

Run 2, 7 miles.
    Back to reality and once again did as much as I could fit in before collecting the young lad from swimming. Found it tough, could hardly manage recovery pace by times. not surprised after the hard session on wednesday and the milage.
    Total 11.1k @ 5:39/k

Saturday 21/1
    Saturday night was scheduled for the birthday party of one of my running buddies, hence there was no point planning a long run for Sunday morning :), it had to be today. Set off in the afternoon with a friend. He was supposed to do 11 miles but in the last mile he came to a standstill. Being a good friend I carried on and left him on the trail for the vultures and the mountain lions. OK, he walked. I might have settled for 18-20 miles but I got stubborn and ran far enough away from the car that the only option was to complete the 21 in the plan. The energy levels were fairly good but the old bod is starting to complain. There's aches, strains, creaks and occasional rattles. My strategy is to ignore them all and hope they'll go away, its worked well up to now. 21 miles done and off to the party. i was very well behaved, just had a few drinks and home in bed by 4:). There were very few long runs attempted today.
    Total 33.8k @ 5:26/k

Sunday 22/1
    Got up about noon and began the rehabilitation. Late afternoon I went to Castlebar hoping that a change of scenery might take my mind off the slog.
    Worked a treat. Ran on the Castlebar greenway to the museum in Turlough and back. The head cleared after a mile or two and I quite enjoyed the run. In theory there should have been a few strides but today was not the day for strides. I was delighted to see the amount of people out walking, running and cycling on the greenway. Build it and they will come.
    The legs felt much better today, I knew ignoring the niggles was the way to go:).
    Today was the 55th and final day of my running streak. I'm taking a rest day tomorrow.
    Total 16.1k @ 5:23/k

Weekly total 111 km (69 miles)
    Highest milage week ever. I thought I'd come up a few miles short and only after my run today did I realise I'd actually done the prescribed weekly miles. Very happy. As usual I didn't follow the plan very closely but somehow got the volume, the speed work and the long run. Not bad.

What's with all the mountain running!!! Rotterdam is flat you know, you describe some really nice locations for running P, nice to have so much variation to choose from. Solid weeks training.

tang1 wrote: »
    What's with all the mountain running!!! Rotterdam is flat you know, you describe some really nice locations for running P, nice to have so much variation to choose from. Solid weeks training.

Hill work is speed work in disguise. It builds strength. Also, I have notions of doing some proper trail in the future. Mainly, though I run the hills because I love it and my friends love it too.

I go out of my way to mix it up, different routes, different paces, different people to run with. If I just ran out and back on the same stretch all the time it might feel like work, and if there's one thing I don't like it's work.:)

You're going well yourself, B. Trim should be a triumph!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,420 ✭✭✭Ososlo

Super week and long run and lots of variety! Enjoy the day off. That's some running streak:eek:

Ososlo wrote: »
    Super week and long run and lots of variety! Enjoy the day off. That's some running streak:eek:

Thanks, A.
    When I say day off I mean 10 hour day at work followed by an hour of pilates:). But no run!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,140 ✭✭✭martyboy48

I just took note of your galway comment from couple of weeks ago(I've not been around lately ☺) !!!!!!!

Going well ya lightweight ☺☺

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,883 ✭✭✭Younganne

great weeks training with some great variations. Fab streak too but ye you're body is telling you should have a rest day!!! WD40 works great on all the creaks & rattles

Younganne wrote: »
    great weeks training with some great variations. Fab streak too but ye you're body is telling you should have a rest day!!! WD40 works great on all the creaks & rattles

Definitely rest today. However the plan has 2 runs tomorrow, 6 am and 4 pm, which I'll probably do as 5+5. Still 7 runs this week so...

I'm on industrial doses of wd40, it's impossible to get parts for anything over 40 years :D.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,038 ✭✭✭Neady83

Crikey, that's a heavy week P and all quality. Sounds like a great network of runners and terrain up that way :)

Do you eat much fish? Fish oils are great to keep the joints oiled, I take Omega 3 6 9, don't know if it makes a blind bit of difference but I feel like it does the job of WD40 from the inside :)

p.s. Heading to Westport next Sunday, the 29th and staying until Tuesday evening if you've a slooooooww recovery run pencilled in and feel like company, let me know. Or a jaunt up the reek, might bring the new wheels too so that's also an option.

Neady83 wrote: »
    Crikey, that's a heavy week P and all quality. Sounds like a great network of runners and terrain up that way :)

Do you eat much fish? Fish oils are great to keep the joints oiled, I take Omega 3 6 9, don't know if it makes a blind bit of difference but I feel like it does the job of WD40 from the inside :)

p.s. Heading to Westport next Sunday, the 29th and staying until Tuesday evening if you've a slooooooww recovery run pencilled in and feel like company, let me know. Or a jaunt up the reek, might bring the new wheels too so that's also an option.

Yes, I eat a lot of fish. Mussels of course, all the time. In summer fresh mackerel straight from the sea to the pan . In leaner times its tuna sandwiches.

Delighted to hear you're coming this way. Sunday is long run day, Monday should be rest and Tuesday I run with my friends if you're still about. I'll be in touch and we'll organise something, even if it's only a pint ;D.

Another week done, not too close to the plan but couldn't be helped.

Monday 23/1
    Rest day, the first for a long while, badly needed. Did my pilates class, tired.

Tuesday 24/1
    The plan has a double today so up and out by 6:30. Very little energy but maybe because its still the middle of the night and I haven't had my breakfast. Struggled for 5 miles @ 5:59/k. Felt like what I was doing made no sense at all.

pm...Out again for another 5 with the group. Felt much better. Should have been recovery pace but not possible.
    8k @ 5:07/k

Wednesday 25/1
    Went to Newport for 14 miles or so with the same two partners as last week. It was wet, cold and very windy. The route has 350 metres of climbing too. Not surprisingly we all found it tough. The sort of run only possible because of the company. That afternoon I felt abnormally wrecked and lacking in energy. My daughter has been sick all week and I guess I was coming down too.
    Total 22.4k @ 5:40/k

Thursday 26/1
    Took the day off work and slept a lot of it. No run of course but feeling a bit better by evening.

Friday 27/1
    Still iffy in the morning but went to work anyway. Feeling weak at first and considered coming home again. By afternoon I was better. My wife called and I asked her bring some running gear. Arranged to meet a friend after work. The plan called for some LT session but this was out of the question. Did 8k easy and felt fine. We'd only gone 1k when we met another buddy going the other way so he turned and ran with us, love that.
    8.1k @ 5:28/k

Saturday 28/1
    Ran the parkrun and no more. tried to keep about MP until the last k and finish quick.
    5k @ 4:16/k

Sunday 29/1
    Long run. Did 20 miles on an interesting route. Rained all the way. I had plenty company for the first 11 miles, a couple until 18 and did the last 2 miles solo. Another man who's going to Rotterdam was there for 18 and it made it all feel a bit more real to actually talk about the goal race. Felt surprisingly strong for this after the week I had. Flew by.
    32.3k @5:18/k

Weekly total 84k (52 miles)
    Not too disappointed, should be 66 miles with some speedwork but on Thursday it looked like a total washout so I'll take it. Next week has some marathon specific work on sunday, 15 miles with 12 @ MP. Will be interesting and informative I predict. There's also another dreaded double on Tuesday, we'll see about that. Hoping to hit everything in the plan.

Well done to everyone racing this weekend and good luck to those racing next weekend. I'll be watching with interest.

• Advertisement

9 weeks to go to Rotterdam. Possibly 10, I think I might be a week ahead.

Monday 30/1
    Rest day, no run but 1 hour of pilates.

Tuesday 31/1
    Should have been a double. I have no love of getting out to run in the dark before breakfast. Last week I didn't enjoy it and didn't run well. This week when the alarm went off at 6:15 I took the mature decision to go back to sleep. First time I wussed out of a run like that and I didn't really regret it. We do this for fun after all:).

pm. To redeem myself I got a few extra km in before meeting the group in the evening.
    Total 12k @ 5:21/k
    Not the 10 miles in the plan and not recovery pace either.

Wednesday 1/2
    Met my two Wednesday friends and did a nice 15 miles on the 'high track' and the greenway. still windy but we all felt much better than last week. Very pleasant run and some lovely muffins afterwards baked specially for the occasion.
    Total 24.2k @ 5:30/k (246 metres of climb.)

Thursday 2/2
    Out and back on the greenway after work. Started as a recovery run but got so wet and cold I had to speed up to prevent hypothermia.:pac:
    Total 10k @ 5:20/k

Friday 3/2
    The plan had 13 miles and I actually thought I might get out of work in time to do it before the swimming collection. Nearly achieved this but delayed 15 minutes again. Had company for the second half so for a change I brought some music with me, a playlist of Scandinavian folk downloaded from Spotify (yes, I'm down with the kids and technology). Turned out a bit disappointing, more country or easy listening I'd say. I hate easy listening, the music I like might accurately be described as difficult listening.
    The run went well, felt strong.
    Total 18.4k @ 5:13/k.

Saturday 4/2
    Got up late and saw a message from a friend asking me to sub for him at parkrun as he was sick. Sent a message to the RD to sat I was on the way but when I got there they had it covered so I ran after all. Did parkrun in 24 or so and kept going to add a few more miles. Spent the afternoon watching sport on tv and eating rubbish, Ireland-lost, France-lost, Mayo-lost. Biscuits, crunchies, jelly snakes, pizza, beer, more biscuits. Very unsatisfying.

Sunday 5/2
    The plan was for 15 miles with 12 @ marathon pace. I had seen this coming up and was dreading it and looking forward to it in equal measure. No clue what to expect.
    It was about 1 degree and sunny when we set off. I did 2k with my friends before setting off for the MP miles by myself. The target was 4:20/k but I was prepared to accept up to 4:25 to allow for hills etc. 4:20/k is a 3:03 marathon. Throughout this session I had difficulty guageing the pace accurately. The route wasn't hilly per se but was undulating like any route around here. The problem was compounded by my decision to include a circuit of a peninsula I hadn't run before and which was much bumpier than anticipated, result 20 seconds dropped. Later in the run I put in 4 consecutive slow splits caused by a combination of losing concentration, loss of gps coverage, and a violent shower of hail. The last 4 k were flat and I gave myself a kick in the ar$e to make sure I got the pace right.
    Splits: 4:19, 4:21, 4:12, 4:22, 4:21, 4:33:eek:, 4:28, 4:23, 4:16, 4:17, 4:21,
    4:27, 4:26, 4:26, 4:31(hail), 4:17, 4:19, 4:18, 4:20.
    At the end of the fast section I had completed 21.1 k in 1:34, not too bad. Another 200metres and my friends I'd started with emerged from a side road as if on cue and we finished together. I kept going until 24.5k to complete 100k for the week.
    Total 24.5k @ 4:34/k

I'll give myself a B+ for that effort. The MP section averages about 4:22/k and would be 4:20 but for a few avoidable aberrations. Though my judgement was poor the pace never felt beyond me. The HR was in the expected range throughout and at the finish I could have done a few more I think.

Weekly total 100k (62.5 miles)
    A few short of the plan but not bad.

Finally, an anecdote.
    I was at a social event about a week ago. Having a pint with a close friend who is also one of my regular running partner. Our wives were also present, both runners but not to our extent. Now, my friends wife, lets call her Mary, is a lovely pleasant English lady. Mannerly and polite to a fault I don't think I've ever heard her swear. Not that she isn't good craic.
    The conversation inevitably turned to running and the following exchange took place:
    Me: I ran 21 miles just this evening.
    Mary: Really?
    Me: Yes, and I intend to run 10 more tomorrow.
    Mary: Why?
    Me: Because its in the plan.
    Mary: What sort of a fcuking plan is that?

This struck me as a perfectly reasonable question and not one I could readily answer. I thought about it on my hungover 10 miler the next day. Just what sort of a fcuking plan is this? That which is ostensibly crazy to the reasonable observer can so easily become normalised by the fanatic.

Next week I intend to run 59 miles, a step back week. Its in the fcuking plan.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,831 ✭✭✭Annie get your Run

I brought some music with me, a playlist of Scandinavian folk downloaded from Spotify (yes, I'm down with the kids and technology).

Eh no, no you're not :D
    Finally, an anecdote.
    Just what sort of a fcuking plan is this? That which is ostensibly crazy to the reasonable observer can so easily become normalised by the fanatic.

Brilliant :) and so true! That's quite a weeks work P.

HAPPY BIRTHDAY P :):):)

Neglecting this again, brief update.

Last week was supposed to be a stepback week, I took a good ol' step back..

Monday 6/2
    Pilates for an hour. i should have a black belt in pilates by now.

Tuesday 7/2
    The usual Tuesday 8k with my friends. Felt good and did the last k fast.
    8k @ 5:02/k

Wednesday 8/2
    My training partner was sick so had to run solo. I took the opportunity to go to Louisburgh for a change and I ran the route of the Clew Bay Half marathon. i had it in mind to aim for 5 minute kms. The first 8k is hilly and into a strong wind but the splits all came in on target. The rest of the route was with a tailwind and it made a big difference. Whenever i looked at the watch i was going much too fast so I decided to just keep the effort comfortable and not worry about time. Finished in 1:42, a bit faster than planned . Happy with the session, the speed is partly down to poor judgement of pace but the energy levels are definitely increasing too.
    The plan had 9 miles with some vo2 max intervals today but it suited me to do extra miles and put off the fast stuff for the parkrun on Saturday. Hope I don't suffer as a result, I'm trying not to disrespect the plan but need to adapt it by times too.
    13.1k @ 4:48/k

Thursday 9/2
    Mrs ss was away for the day and with a lot of juggling I might have fitted in a run but it was my birthday and I gave myself a day off. Out for an enjoyable few pints later.

Friday 10/2
    I forget what was in the plan but I left work with time to do half of it. Called by the house to collect a jacket then my buddy called to say she couldn't make it. It was sooo cold. Shamefully I wussed out and didnt run.
    This is very bad.

Saturday 11/2
    I had planned to run Westport parkrun in 20 minutes. This suited 2 of my friends, one a man who'd broken 20 once before (with me pacing) and the other a woman who has been improving loads recently and set a pb of 20:15 last month. Westport parkrun is all about getting through the fourth km which is all uphill. If you make 4k on or near your target then you'll invariably get there. As a pacer, you just have to encourage the pacees not to give up in the fourth k as you'll usually be slowing and not able to control it. We had started fast down the hill and allowed 4:30 for this k. As we neared 4k the guy, K was suffering and falling back but D was still right on my shoulder. I told K to dig in and he'd just make it but myself and D were going to keep pushing and go a little under. Sure enough myself and D crossed in 19:50 with K behind us in 19:56. Smiles all round. D is the 15th woman on our sub 20 list, an exclusive club.
    For my part, I was surprised how easy the effort felt. I wasn't even out of breath at the end and could have run a long way at that pace. Encouraged, the 2 day lay off seemed to make a big difference.
    parkrun 4.9k @ 4:02/k (?)
    cool down 2.3k @ 5:17/k

more later.

Still catching up, I'll try to be brief.

Sunday 12/2
    15 mile long run. Done in 2 shifts so as to have company all the way. Met two separate people along the way and they both ran a few miles with us.
    Legs grand.

Total 24.3k @ 5:23/k

Weekly total 60.8k (38 miles)
    Disappointing total. Next week supposed to be 70 and I must try to get close at least!

Monday 13/2

1 Hour pilates. The 'advanced' class this week. Will stick with advanced, I think I notice a benefit.

Tuesday 14/2
    am: I hate these morning runs but the plan says double and I don't want to wuss out before I start.
    Out at 6:30 for a five miler. After 4k I twisted my ankle on a kerb. Very sore and I thought I might have done some real damage. Hobbled, limped and cursed for a few minutes then decided to ignore it and ran on. Got there.
    8k @ 5:55/k

pm: The ankle was sore all day at work but nevertheless I met up with the group in the evening and ran another 8k. Got around without making it much worse.
    8k @ 5:19/k

Wednesday 15/2
    The plan had 15 miles but a family committment meant I couldnt meet my regular training partners. Best I could manage was another double.
    am: Had hoped to do more but got out at 8am so only time for 10k. Had my music again and I listened to a fashionable band called Future Islands. They're very popular with us young folk, AGYR you mightn't have heard of them;).
    10k @ 5:09/k

pm tight for time again. Ended about 2 miles behind target.
    11.5k @ 5:16/k

Thursday 16/2
    Should have been 10k recovery but my friend wanted to leave it at 7.5 so I took the opportunity to help my wife with some of the pick ups.
    7.5k @ 5:06/k

Friday 17/2
    The plan had 12 miles with 7 @ LT pace. This would always be a tall order but work was very physical and went on an hour longer than I'd planned so this was not on. Set off by myself to run 15k in the dark. Thanks to a wrong turn it became a 10 miler. I decided to make partial amends for the missed LT session by going quickly at the parkrun.
    16k @ 4:54/k.

Saturday 18/2
    I've been feeling strong of late and expected I could put in a good 5k if I pushed myself. I stayed up late last night and arrived late this morning with only time for a 2 minute warm up so i set off thinking 19:30 would be a reasonable mark and not too taxing. After the first k came in at 3:44 I said 'shag it I'll push on and see what I can do'. Westport parkrun always measures about 4.95 by my watch. This could be because its measured short or because of the two 180 turns and the three bridges where you lose reception on the gps. Anyway, in my head the first two k are fast downhill, the third is steady, the fourth is torture up the hill and the last is quick because you finish downhill and its 'short'. Splits today (paces per k really) were 3:44, 3:38, 3:53, 3:58 and 3:41. In Westport that adds up to 18:39.
    An 8 second parkrun pb and an all time 5k pb if I count it.
    Pretty happy with that, about in line with what I expected.

Tomorrow I have 22 miles on the menu and if I complete it (I intend to) I'll have about 63 miles for the week, not great but could be worse. Next week I'm travelling with work and it'll be hard to get miles in if not impossible. The following week is a mini taper before Kinvara. I have a week of slack in the plan so I'll use that and hopefully get two weeks of the plan done in three if you know what I mean. There will be an element of making it up as i go along, as usual, but I'd really like to fit in the LT miles I skipped yesterday.

9 weeks to Rotterdam.

Sunday 19/2
    The plan was 22 miles, I think that's the longest I've ever had outside of a race. It went very well. I had 4 mates with me for the first 12 miles and one lad then for the 10. Plenty of banter and the miles flew by. I hardly ever looked at the pace but it seemed to start slow and gradually increase all the way. No injuries, no issues.
    35.2k @ 5:30/k

Weekly total 101.3km (63 miles).
    7 miles short but still quite a bit and including a 5k pb and 22 miler so I'll take it.

Best of luck in Kinvara tomorrow P if your running.

Best of luck in Kinvara tomorrow P if your running.

Thanks, B. I'm running alright. Been crazy busy last two weeks. Poor milage. Need to update this log but can't find time to even reply to a text.
    Anyway, Kinvara was to be a big target but run up not ideal. I'm not feeling 100% all week, possibly a touch of the dose my wife has been suffering. Another 12 hour day today. The forecast tomorrow is very bad with wind and rain. Anyhow, I'll set off a bit briskly and see what's possible. Still looking forward, there's a good crowd from here going down.

How're things yourself? Any let up from your illness?

Thanks, B. I'm running alright. Been crazy busy last two weeks. Poor milage. Need to update this log but can't find time to even reply to a text.
    Anyway, Kinvara was to be a big target but run up not ideal. I'm not feeling 100% all week, possibly a touch of the dose my wife has been suffering. Another 12 hour day today. The forecast tomorrow is very bad with wind and rain. Anyhow, I'll set off a bit briskly and see what's possible. Still looking forward, there's a good crowd from here going down.

How're things yourself? Any let up from your illness?

Yeah getting there thankfully P.

Nice running P.

• Advertisement

Thanks, B.
    Ran 1:27:09 by my watch. Very happy with that on a windy day.
    Report later.

Thanks, B.
    Ran 1:27:09 by my watch. Very happy with that on a windy day.
    Report later.

Give yourself 3 secs less & you have your chip time, well done again, great prep for Rotterdam.

That's a great run P, well done, all coming nicely together for you

TbL

• Registered Users Posts: 165 ✭✭Bawnmore_Ent.

Great running today P. Good to see you again

Savage running P....
    Had planned to go down and support, but just couldn't face it in the end....
    A great run by yourself no matter how you look at it.
    1:27:06 and you not feeling 100% and a windy day...... Enough to make a man sick :D
    Well done again :)

Ok, my now fortnightly update. With the help of strava I might recall some of it.

Monday 20/2
    Went to Dublin in the evening for an early flight. No pilates, no run.

Tuesday 21/2
    Work travel. Early flight to Portugal, checked in and straight to work. Finished late and straight to dinner. No hope of running.

Wednesday 22/2
    I had hoped to get out early but it didn't happen. Worked 8am to 9pm followed by more fine dining courtesy of our hosts. No run, a pattern is emerging. At sea during the day looking longingly at the cliffs along which I have run in the past. Must try harder.

Thursday 23/2
    Ignoring the previous nights round of food, beer, wine, unidentified spirits, more beer, cake...I made a superhuman effort to get out the door of the hotel at 6:30am. It was 13 degrees and flat calm, perfect for running. I did an out and back 8k along a wide but deserted road. Then off for another 12 hour shift.
    8k @ 5:31/k

Friday 24/2
    Finally had a couple of hours free to run. Out about 8am and ran in the same direction as yesterday. Made it down to the coast and followed a lovely springy boardwalk for a few k. Would have liked to go further but had a brief meeting to make on the way to the airport. Beautiful weather again, storm at home, felt ok for this run considering the schedule. Afternoon flight back to Dublin followed by the long drive west.
    15k @ 5:25/k

Saturday 25/2
    Feeling wrecked after the week and already written off in terms of milage.
    I just did the local parkrun at about marathon pace to restore some normality.
    5k @ 4:20/k

Sunday 26/2
    Absolutely vile weather with wind and rain. All my friends would commit to was 12 miles. I wasn't keen to add a few miles solo. On the way back one of the lads was getting very cold so someone suggested taking a shorter route and leaving it at 11, I didn't object.
    17.6k @ 5:11/k.

Weekly total 45.6k (28 miles)
    My lowest for some time, expected though.

Monday 27/2
    Pilates after work. I'm in the advanced class now. :)
    A short recovery run afterwards.
    4.7k @ 5:17/k

Tuesday 28/2
    Set out in the evening for 8 miles with 5 x 600m at 5k pace with 90 seconds recovery. The plan was nail the intervals first and then meet up with the group for our usual 8k. In theory the intervals should be about 3:40 per k but I struggle to run fast by myself especially in the dark, so I tried to just put in some sort of decent effort. The first two were downhill, one flat and two uphill. the uphill ones were faster and about the right effort level. Interval splits were 4:10, 3:50, 3:50, 3:52, 3:52. Not too bad.
    Followed by a pleasant 8k.
    4.7k @ 4:27/k
    8k @ 5:23/k

Wednesday 1/3
    Normality restored. Met my two buddies and ran 12.5 miles on the high trail and the greenway. The weather was lovely and this should have been easy but I felt strangely weak. With my goal half coming up this was unwelcome. hoping it was the effect of the previous week and last nights session and not the beginnings of the virus my wife and son have been suffering from.
    20.2k @ 5:26/k

Thursday 2/3
    The original plan was for a double but when the alarm went off I failed to get up:D, really thinking that wrt saturday the greatest benefit would come from rest. Hoped to get a nice bit in the evening but working late again so just time for 8k with a few strides. Felt a lot better, all may not be lost.
    8k @ 5:11/k

Friday 3/3
    Long day at work, no run, horrendous forecast for tomorrow....hmmmm

Saturday 4/3
    Kinvara half marathon
    This had always been a big goal for me. It was to be a test of the high milage plan and the basis of choosing a target for Rotterdam. Last year I ran a pb of 1:28:20 here on a windy day. I had the benefit of the 90 minute pacers to shelter behind on the long, exposed headwind section and finished strongly. I hadnt come close to this time in two subsequent halfs last year, though I improved at other distances. This year I had 1:27 or thereabouts in mind, which is 4:07/k. The forecast was similar, wind northwest force 5 to 7, not quite a gale but close. From km 8 to 16 you run pretty much due NW and theres almost no cover. If I was to proceed with the 1:27 plan I'd have no pacers to shelter from.
    Three of us travelled from here, with a good few others going separately. We arrived in good time, met the gang and collected the numbers. Whilst it was breezy the rain seemed to be holding off. Decided to run with a long sleeved base layer under the club singlet. I was tempted to run with the safety of the 90 minute group and try to push on at the end for a small pb but thought better of it. I'd go with plan A and drop back early if it was too much. Best wishes to all my friends and at 12:10 we were off.

Km 1-8
    I did the lap of town with the 90 minute group and when we straightened up I pushed up a bit and took a position behind the 85 minute group. I could see straight away there would be very few running between the two groups. I spoke briefly with a guy from Galway in the hope of recruiting an accomplice but his target was a bit slower than mine and before long I was resigned to running solo. We had a tailwind on this section and I fell into a comfortable groove about 4:06/k. It felt like a big step up, every half I've raced in the last few years I've been aiming for 4:15 or so.
    Splits 4:11,4:05, 4:05, 4:04, 4:06, 4:08, 4:06, 4:06.

Km 8-16
    As soon as we turned right at 8k it was a whole different ball game. We were pretty straight into the wind and the hr and effort levels went up accordingly. I knew there was no way I could keep to 4:07/k so just tried to do what I could and not lose too much time whilst not going too far in to the red either. Nobody passed me and I passed a few, mostly refugees from the 85 minute group. I caught up with one guy and drafted behind him for a minute or so but he was visibly slowing so I had to press on. There was brief respite around 12k when we went through a partly sheltered dip but then we took a slight right and the next 4 k were tougher if anything.
    Splits 9-16 4:12, 4:10, 4:18, 4:14, 4:09, 4:10, 4:25, 4;09.

Km 16-Finish
    We took a hard right just before 16k and the relief from the wind was instant. There are a few little steep climbs along here but nevertheless the pace went right up. My average pace had slipped to 4:10/k at this stage, I calculated that to hit my 1:27 target I'd need to do the last 5 k about 19:40. Not likely but a pb was definitely on the cards , I started to feel very positive and pushed on. At 17k I caught up with a club mate, a lad I wouldn't normally be able to compete with, he told me to keep pushing. Along here I ran a 3:55 and started to worry that I might have started the final push too soon. There were still a few hilly k to go so I eased off very slightly. To km 20 I kept picking people off gradually, no sign of anyone coming from behind. The last k is downhill so I gave it socks, emptied the tank though the tank was pretty empty already and any acceleration was marginal. Crossed the line very happy with the days work/
    Splits 17-21.1 3:55, 4:09, 4:03, 3:55, 3:50, 3:40( 0.1).

Last 5k was about 19:50

Chip time 1:27:06 (4:27/k)

Afterwards welcomed back my friends, most of whom also pb'd, maybe the conditions weren't so bad:).
    Met up with Bawnmore Ent who had just run sub 90 and looks to be in good shape for Boston. Nice spread put on by the organisers, lovely running tops. Well done to all concerned, this is a great event.

Final thoughts. A few people are trying to convince me that on a better day and a flat course I'd be well under 1:26 and should go for the sub 3 in Rotterdam. I'm not convinced, the target as it stands is a solid sub 3:05, run with negative splits. Weather permitting!

Sunday 5/4
    Had a few pb beers last night, my friends were all too lightweight to run this morning. Headed out by myself and did 11 miles easy, collecting the car on the way.
    17.6k @ 5:16/k

Weekly total 84.6k ( 52.6 miles)
    About 15 miles short of what was planned. Again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,015 ✭✭✭jake1970

Well done P and congrats on your PB. That result bodes very well for Rotterdam.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,883 ✭✭✭Younganne

well done on the PB in those conditions. I wouldn't worry about the mileage being down a bit, you've had solid training up to now and the body probably enjoyed the step back week!!!

Savage cabbage P, that was great running. Whatever you're doing, keep doing it, you're making serious inroads in your PBs :)

• Advertisement

Another week done, ticking over nicely..

Monday 6/3
    Pilates for an hour. Had 45 minutes to spare afterwards and thought about a few easy miles but I made the mature decision to go to Lidl to buy beer instead.

Tuesday 7/3
    The plan called for 11 miles with 6 x 1k @ 5k pace. I had no appetite for this and not enough time either. Another long day at work.
    It was a horrible night with wind and incessant rain. Set the watch for 5 intervals which would give me time to be back for our regular group run at 7:30. I hate running in wind, hate rain and can't stand trying to go fast in the dark, had the whole unholy trinity for this one. The rain got so heavy it just wasn't funny anymore. The 'fast' splits all came in about 4min/k which is better than it sounds in the conditions. Met 3 friends afterwards for 8k in a deluge. So wet we literally lost one guy and found him later:). Felt pretty proud of myself just for going out.
    Run 1: 6.8k @ 4:31/k
    Run 2: 7.8k @ 5:15/k

Wednesday 8/3
    Total contrast, a lovely mild sunny day.
    My friends were both unavailable but I set off on the usual hilly route by myself. Added in a few more hills I hadn't run in a while. The high section was right into a headwind, I might have been better to go the other way. When I turned for home I put on some music and cruised back along the greenway. Felt good here, high pace and low hr. I met 9 people over the 2 hours, 4 walkers, 2 cyclists and 3 farmers. The fine weather brings the crowds.
    25k @ 5:13/k

Thursday 9/3
    Recovery day, done over 2 runs. A day off work which made it easier.
    Morning was 8k, very slow.
    In the afternoon I had an hour to kill in Castlebar so headed for their greenway. Before long I met a friend of mine, a very good runner who I rarely get a chance to run with. She also lurks on this log:), Hi S.
    We ran a very pleasant few miles together and caught up a bit. I love it when this happens.
    am...8k @ 6min/k
    pm....8.5k @ 5:35/k

Friday 10/3
    The plan would have me run 10 miles but as usual time did not allow.
    Met a friend after work and ran a nice easy 10k together. Set off for another few k by myself. At the turnaround I decided to run a lap of the local caravan park for variety. It was dusk but not dark enough for a headtorch. I exited the park via a narrow pedestrian gateway. I completely failed to see the sheep wire across the gap at knee height:(. The first I knew was when the ground suddenly came up to meet me. Remarkably I didn't plant my face in the tarmac, my hands, elbows and knees bore the brunt of the impact. My first instinct was to stop the garmin:) and get to my feet. Walked a while and assessed the injuries, almost unscathed luckily, but for a few grazes. I had a look around for a cctv camera but no luck. If I could get this online it'd be bigger than that dude getting interrupted by his kids whilst giving a BBC interview:).
    jogged back to the car.
    12.7k @ 5:41/k

Saturday 11/7
    Volunteering at parkrun so did a few easy miles beforehand. Feeling super lethargic and weak as I had been on the previous day too. Put it down to work and milage. When I got home Mrs ss was about to head off for a few easy miles so I joined her, still very tired. Spent the afternoon on a ladder cutting a hedge, made me more tired, then the second consecutive evening of being disappointed by rugby players.
    run 1.. 8k @ 5:45/k
    run 2...6k @ 6:39/k

Gotta go... will complete later.

Sunday 12/7
    The plan was 17 miles with 14 miles @ marathon pace. I had not been looking forward to this. I never look forward to these sessions, if they go wrong it's a big blow to the confidence. Projected marathon pace is 4:20/k (3:03 or so) which is 7 minute miles.
    Somehow I convinced myself that today would be warm and sunny. Arrived at the skatepark with a short sleeved tee shirt and my friends were kitted out with jackets, hats and gloves. Got out of the car and I realised why. I did 2k with the group and set off towards Murrisk at the foot of Croagh Patrick taking advantage of a slight downhill to start. The first few k were a struggle against a strong breeze (again) and some horrible cold squally showers. Whenever I looked at the watch I found I was off pace and soon I couldn't even read the watch with the rain:(. I decided to head back and look for a more sheltered route, following the coast road. I put in a few decent splits along here only slipping when another runner joined me and I had to slow to make my excuses before pushing on. After 10 MP k I was back at the car. I took on a gel and some water and of course checked the phone to see how tang was getting on in Barcelona. At this stage he was still doing well. I had him in mind throughout this run, picturing him running at a similar pace and effort as myself. Little did I suspect he was cursing the weather as well, we would gladly have swapped conditions I think:).
    Anyway off I set again, through the woods and out the great western greenway towards Newport. More sheltered here and when I hit the greenway I developed a much more comfortable rhythym and hit all the splits in both directions. Despite the shaky start the average for the 23k at MP was bang on 4:20 at the finish. 4 more very slow km and back to the car. I wont list all the splits, they're on Strava, but the last 8 were all within a couple of seconds of 4:16 so happy out. Next time I have a session like this to do I'll look more closely at the weather and chose an appropriate route.
    total 28.3k @ 4:34/k (inc wu and cd)

Weekly total 111.5k (69.3 miles)

Next week should be 68 miles. However Mrs ss is away for a few days so tricky to achieve once again.

Its been a little while again, sometimes its like that..

Monday 13/3
    Pilates followed by an easy 5k.
    5k @ 5:35/k

Tuesday 14/3
    Did a few k with people I met along the way before meeting the group for our usual. Nice night, 9 of us out.
    10.5k @ 5:24/k

Wednesday 15/3
    Did my usual Wednesday medium long run, just had company for the first 5k. Expected I'd be a bit quicker being by myself. Alas the energy levels were very low and despite the beautiful day I found it hard to maintain a decent pace.
    23k @ 5:29/k.

Thursday 16/3
    Wife was away for the weekend and with a bit of juggling I could still have run. However it was too tempting to skip it and I convinced myself a rest day was due.

Friday 17/3
    Patrick's day and the weather was absolutely fowl. Got up late and put the running clothes on. Never went out. some friends called around in the morning, parade was cancelled. Afternoon of sport on TV. No run, oh well..
    0k.

Saturday 18/3
    I was doing run director at parkrun, ideally I'd have run beforehand but didn't. In the afternoon decided it was time to extricate the children from the couch so we went on an enjoyable trip outdoors. Had to hurry home for the rugby, no time to run. I don't know how long it is since I had three consecutive days off. And I'm not even injured.

Sunday 19/3
    Back on the horse. I'd planned 20 miles. The day came horrid wet again and we put off our departure to 10am in the hope of improvement. Only one brave soul joined me but we were rewarded our optimism when the weather cleared shortly afterwards. We did 12 easy miles and I set off for a few more solo. Nearly straightaway I bumped into a friend so did another few k with him. I was feeling ok so I set off on a loop to take me close to the full 20. Not long into it I was caught up with by a senior statesman of local running. This dude is well into the M60 category, he recently retired from work, but had no bother keeping up with me. He regaled me with stories of running back in the day when there was just himself and one other runner in town. He has pb's of 1:15 for the half and 10 miles in '54 or 55 minutes', he can't remember. Top man, pleasure to run with. We had to change our route because of flooded roads so I ended up doing 21 miles.
    I felt tired but ok for most of the run but laboured a bit again at the end. That afternoon, however, I was totally stiff as though I had raced a marathon. Trouble with stairs, etc. Very strange, never had that before.
    33.6k @ 5:26/k

Weekly total 72.3k (45 miles)
    The plan was 68 so very poor outcome. No speed work either.

Monday 20/3
    Pilates, felt super stiff still and couldn't manage half the routine. No run afterwards.

Tuesday 21/3
    A mile or two solo followed by 5 with the group. Feeling a bit freer.
    9.3k @ 5:23/k

Wednesday 22/3
    My friends were not available so I took the opportunity to run a very hilly punishing 12 mile loop. The first half was right into a strong northerly wind. It was about 4 degrees but felt colder in the cruel squally showers, some of hail. It was a real battle to reach halfway at 5:30/k. Once I turned for the return there was a seismic change in mood. I ran 2 miles at marathon pace and it wasn't a big effort. The rest of the run was at comfortable effort but the km's kept clocking in the 4:30-4:40 range so I added a k to bring the average below 5/k. Very satisfied with this, energy coming back.
    20k @4:59/k

Thursday 23/3
    Met a friend after work and ran 10k. Quite snappy as it turned out, felt good.
    10.6k @ 5:08/k

Friday 24/3
    Short easy run.
    5.3k @ 5:16/k

Saturday 25/3
    'Race', Westport parkrun

Normally I race a 10k two weeks before a marathon. There was no convenient 10k yesterday, though I considered traveling to Ennis or the K Club. As an alternative myself and my friend (also doing Rotterdam) decided to do the local parkrun at all out race effort.

I had a few goals in mind, 18:49 was my parkrun pb set six weeks ago, 18:32 is the pb of a friend I'd like to better:), 18:30 was my summer 5k goal, and I erroneously believed 18:22 was the MacMillan equivalent for a 3 hour marathon. Its actually 18:28 I now know.
    In any case I didn't expect to go that low though I saw18:30 as realistic.

The weather was perfect on the day, cool and calm. Unfortunately there was a duathlon due to take place on the greenway right after parkrun. This meant our course was a bit clogged up with people bringing their bikes to transition and warming up.
    Anyway i met my friend, his target 19:20, and did a few k warm up.

We lined up at the front and 1, 2, 3 go!
    About half a km in, the garmin beeped and told me I'd done a km in 8:27.
    Shight and double shight, I'd forgotten to reset after the warmup. This was annoying, I know this course well and I had a k by k plan in my head. with incomplete info I'd have to play it by ear a bit. Anyway we had a slight tailwind and downhill so I didnt hold back, I just kept an eye on the instantaneous pace from here on and watched the splits as they came. Next split was 3:25, probably faster than planned, hope i can maintain it. Next split, about 2.5 mark, was3.37. Not bad, starting to go up the hill again. Next one 3:52, not sure if its good or bad, the steep k now and struggling to keep under 4:00/k. I checked the hr, it was 185 so I'm pushing hard as I can. Split comes 4:00. Doing mental math and guess I'm in 18:45 territory but could shave a bit more in the last k.From here on I'm weaving around duathletes who seem oblivious to parkrun. Around the turnaround, the last 600m is downhill. I open all the taps and give it socks. I see my friend going the other way and we can both only nod. He seems a long way back so I conclude its not his day. More weaving. Going for the line I glance at the pace, 3:05/k. I fall across the line and stop the watch but it makes no sense. When I catch my breath I ask the timekeeper if she got the time, 18:15. 18:15! I'm genuinely surprised, a 24 second pb.
    My friend finishes in 19:16 for another pb. Mission accomplished. We're both delighted at the outcome, a great confidence booster ahead of the marathon. Bring it on.
    Another few k cool down and celebratory biscuits.
    9.6k @ 5:30 or so.
    Official parkrun time 18:15.

Sunday 26/3
    A few pints last night coupled with the loss of an hour meant I didn't make the 9am long run. I had intended on 17 miles but it was not happening today. Managed just 8k to collect the car. Another failed run, have had a few too many.

Weekly Total 63.2k (40 miles)
    About 15 too few but at least a bit of quality thrown in.

Next week, tapering in earnest.:)

Very tasty 5k pb P, you're obviously in great nick and a couple of down days will do you no harm at all.

TbL

Sure ya can't count that as a PB, it's not a race!!!! Great going P and not unexpected to be honest.

Very tasty 5k pb P, you're obviously in great nick and a couple of down days will do you no harm at all.

TbL
    Thanks, C. Well ready for the taper in truth.

• Advertisement

Sure ya can't count that as a PB, it's not a race!!!! Great going P and not unexpected to be honest.

You're right B, it's not a race! But I can still call it a parkrun pb. Tbh, I'm not convinced it's a full 5k either. Some day I'll run a real 5k on a flat course on a calm day.

BTW, I'm not buying this story of you just running for fun, no target, no ambition...
    You'll cop on to yourself before long, there's serious pb's for you to collect when you get around to it.

You're right B, it's not a race! But I can still call it a parkrun pb. Tbh, I'm not convinced it's a full 5k either. Some day I'll run a real 5k on a flat course on a calm day.

BTW, I'm not buying this story of you just running for fun, no target, no ambition...
    You'll cop on to yourself before long, there's serious pb's for you to collect when you get around to it.

Oh there's plenty of ambition P, just no goal race to put it all into at the minute. No doubt at all there's a sub 18 in those legs of yours come summers end.

Nice running at the weekend P :) How is tapering going? Has the madness set in?

Nice running at the weekend P :) How is tapering going? Has the madness set in?

Thanks, Neady. Tapering is hit and miss, a bit like the whole programme. Should be doing intervals and stuff, did slow 10 miler, a few strides. Skipped the 3 x 1600 at 5k pace, I'll do a 20 minute parkrun tomorrow instead, it's more fun. Cycled to work a few times...
    Taper madness has set in big time, on my mind constantly yet I keep thinking there's something I'm forgetting. The usual.

Has the madness set in?

Set in you say!!!!!!! Sure he's a mad mayo man all the time!!! ☺

• Advertisement
Advertisement