Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

CURRYS PC WORLD CANCELLED ORDER THEY SAY THE PRICE WAS ADVERTISED INCORRECTLY ON LINE

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,507 ✭✭✭runawaybishop

none of your business runawaybishop

Right, so you realise it doesn't mean anything I assume. Good luck getting the product for the incorrect price, while they aren't obliged to sell it to you maybe your winning personality and pleasantness will win them over.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,677 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

OP I suggest you have a read of this... relates to a UK situation but I imagine there's considerable overlap in our common (and esrtwhile EU) laws:
    http://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/personalfinance/money-saving-tips/10602641/Price-glitches-Do-retailers-have-to-honour-pricing-mistakes.html

It all comes downs to the Ts&Cs of the retailer, if they have worded their Ts&Cs correctly, then they would be entitled to cancel the order up to the point of delivery. Before reading that article, I would have assumed as you do that charging the card meant it was past the point of no return and would have felt hard done by.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,788 ✭✭✭Charles Babbage

Consumer legislation needs to step in to equalise the rights of consumers and retailers, that they are allowed to renege on a deal after taking the money is outrageous. At present, if the consumer changes their mind then tough, but if the retailer changes their mind then no problem, the consumer can just feck off.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

Consumer legislation needs to step in to equalise the rights of consumers and retailers, that they are allowed to renege on a deal after taking the money is outrageous. At present, if the consumer changes their mind then tough, but if the retailer changes their mind then no problem, the consumer can just feck off.

Consumer has 14 days to change their minds.

Get real.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,675 ✭✭✭exaisle

You'll often see "e&oe" somewhere in the terms & conditions...sometimes stuck right down the bottom where you won't notice it. E&OE means "errors and omissions excepted" which is basically their get out of jail card in the event of an error.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 17,642 Mod ✭✭✭✭Graham

I don't think the enforcement of pricing mistakes is really a consumer issue.

You should probably look at the regulations relating to distance selling and a consumers rights. Your comments suggest you are not fully informed.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

OP - I'm afraid that you've received incorrect legal advice (and unless it was from a solicitor or barrister, it can't really be considered legal advice anyway).

Debiting a payment card does not constitute acceptance. This has been proven many times in the past in similar cases. I believe that a trip to Small Claims Court will be a fool's errand.

Posters - a general reminder to all to say polite and civil to each other.

dudara

• Registered Users Posts: 332 ✭✭hotshots85

€280 difference I confirmed price by email as I wanted to preorder but was told they dnt do preorder & to order on line when product was back in stock - that email was 5 days before product ordered so they were aware of price at that stage & I had difficulty ordering I needed to contact them by phone & their agent said it was a "Black Friday on line special"

But was the €280 difference a huge %, line was €285, now €2.85,?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

It never ceases to amaze me the sense of entitlement by people coming to this forum. Companies make mistakes. If it was a minor mistake, most companies would likely honor it, but a mistake to the tune of hundreds is not likely to be accepted - by all means take a chance, but don't throw your toys out of the pram when they simply refund you with an explanation. What have you lost?

The €50 Vodafone iphone debacle was probably the best (worst?) example I've ever seen - people threatening legal action and, once the penny finally dropped, they were immediately looking for compensation....for a €50 gamble on which they actually lost no money whatsoever. One guy in particular, you'd swear they deducted 5K from his account the way he was carrying on.

It's just breathtaking.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Off-topic & uncivil posts deleted. Next such posts will incur mod action

dudara

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 219 ✭✭purcela

I ordered 2 items in 2 separate transactions from Currys UK online last Friday. I received an 'order acknowledgement' for each transaction and my account was debited for the full amount of each product.

Then yesterday I received 2 emails saying that my orders had been cancelled, as they are unable to fulfil the order. Having contacted their very unhelpful customer service centre 4 times all I have been told was that the transactions did not pass a 'security check', but nobody will give me any further information.

The items are still in stock today according to their website, and at the same price as Friday, so it has not been cancelled due to unavailability of the items or because of a price change. I wouldn't be in any hurry to order from or recommend Curry's after my experience and the one described by the OP.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,707 ✭✭✭BeardySi

purcela wrote: »
    I ordered 2 items in 2 separate transactions from Currys UK online last Friday. I received an 'order acknowledgement' for each transaction and my account was debited for the full amount of each product.

Then yesterday I received 2 emails saying that my orders had been cancelled, as they are unable to fulfil the order. Having contacted their very unhelpful customer service centre 4 times all I have been told was that the transactions did not pass a 'security check', but nobody will give me any further information.

The items are still in stock today according to their website, and at the same price as Friday, so it has not been cancelled due to unavailability of the items or because of a price change. I wouldn't be in any hurry to order from or recommend Curry's after my experience and the one described by the OP.

No great fan of Curry's myself, but that sounds like a issue with your bank to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 756 ✭✭✭p15574

Treadhead wrote: »
    No great fan of Curry's myself, but that sounds like a issue with your bank to me.

I don't think Curry.co.uk accept Irish credit/debit cards, probably to ensure they're selling to UK customers only.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,162 ✭✭✭witchgirl26

purcela wrote: »

I've fallen victim to this a couple of times - not with Currys but other websites. If the address you input doesn't exactly match the one per the bank, then it fails the automatic check that's done and the transaction won't process. Happens a lot with US or UK websites.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

p15574 wrote: »
    I don't think Curry.co.uk accept Irish credit/debit cards, probably to ensure they're selling to UK customers only.

That's it in a nutshell.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 522 ✭✭✭Walter2016

The retailer is 100% responsible for dodgy transactions on cards, so they simply won't take a chance.

Where I am, we only accept paypal payment for orders outside Ireland.

Advertisement