Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Legislation -50k Irish adoptees Right to birth Cert / Registration

Options
  • 24-11-2016 2:56am
    Registered Users Posts: 181 ✭✭

Hi, I was just reading the Irish Times when I saw an article saying 50,000 Irish Adoptees are being given the right to their original birth cert, and a new registration system although birth parents can 'opt out' by opting for no contact.
    As an adoptee I welcome such legislation. There is going to be a new register established and operated by Tusla. I have just started tracing anyway, so this is good news.
    It will be a big deal finding my birth mothers name. This has been a long time coming.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 324 ✭✭kathy finn

Dont get too excited, this Bill has not been passed through final stages yet and when it does, it will be another year or more before it comes into effect.
    It will mean all records will be centralized in AAI.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 11,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hermy

Will there still be that clause where you have to sign promising not to make contact where it is not desired by your birth parent?

While it is obviously a good thing that an adopted person be allowed access to the original record of their birth it begs the question why we were previously denied this access.

And of course the original birth record is of limited use as it only identifies the mothers name, the child's name and the place of birth - not the mothers home address at that time and typically nothing about the father. So if you were born to Mary Murphy in Cork it is of limited use to you when tracing.

At best it's a step in the right direction but there's long way to go if we are ever to deal with adoption in Ireland properly.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭Ballycarton

I recently learned that a family member was an adoptee. Their birth mother is deceased. However I was able to get a copy of their full birth cert. Incidentally it does gives the mothers residence at the time of birth. When I asked the registrar about an adoptee not being allowed access to their original bieth cert the reply was that all BMD records are public and may be obtained publically.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 11,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hermy

While all birth records are public record it isn't always a straightforward matter for an adopted person to locate their original birth record.

In the 1970's on an Irish civil birth record the heading over the column where the mothers name is entered stated Name and Surname and Maiden Surname of mother whereas the heading over the column where the fathers name is entered stated Name and Surname and Dwelling-place of father. Consequently, as the fathers name is generally absent so there was no requirement to enter a dwelling-place.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

I recently learned that a family member was an adoptee. Their birth mother is deceased. However I was able to get a copy of their full birth cert. Incidentally it does gives the mothers residence at the time of birth. When I asked the registrar about an adoptee not being allowed access to their original bieth cert the reply was that all BMD records are public and may be obtained publically.

That is true but you need basic information to get them .
    Pretty sure that I have mine but no way of confirming it .

• Advertisement
Advertisement